PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was The Draft Average After The First Round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones was the steal of the draft. 49ers will regret passing up on mac daddy. I like barmore hopefully he can cause disruption on the line.

will Jones make the bears regret trading up for fields?

Probably, but I cannot get a handle on Fields. I think that all 14 teams that did not draft Jones will have egg on their faces. San Francisco will have a whole omelet; they made the most disastrous first round trade/pick in recent memory. The 49ers overthought the whole process; they had the best QB in the draft sitting in their lap and let him go. The wanted the next Mahomes and talked themselves into believing that Lance was him, but he is not. Mac's topless photo did not help, ah.

The Patriots draft success did not stop after the first round; it was an exceptional draft....it takes some of the sting out of the Debbie Harry selection.

It really depends, and won't be known for a number of years. Imagine this completely hypothetical scenario:

Mac Jones goes on to win 2 Super Bowls with the Patriots. Very respectable, puts him in some good company as a QB. He plays for 12-14 years and retires with a borderline HoF career.

Fields ends up playing for 10-12 years and wins 1 Super Bowl. His career results are clearly behind Jones', but would the Bears go back in time and change their choice? Could you guarantee that both careers would have gone the same way with different coaches, different teammates, in different cities and different conferences?

I think the only way they would regret their choice is if Jones has a tremendous career and Fields completely flames out. Otherwise it's hard to predict all the shoulda woulda coulda.

if I were a GM, I would move up and down the draft board to pick right after the Raiders. Those picks are statistically more likely to be HoF players.

I liked the draft top to bottom. I seem to be alone in thinking that the Sherman pick was solid. I don’t think he will be a starter but they will probably keep him as depth.

I liked our draft strategy this season. We didn’t get a defensive back reach in the second round. there were players I knew we’re actually good in college. I don’t know McGrone at all or the 7th round flyer, but the others are players that I noticed or heard good things about

if I were a GM, I would move up and down the draft board to pick right after the Raiders. Those picks are statistically more likely to be HoF players.

I liked the draft top to bottom. I seem to be alone in thinking that the Sherman pick was solid. I don’t think he will be a starter but they will probably keep him as depth.

I liked our draft strategy this season. We didn’t get a defensive back reach in the second round. there were players I knew we’re actually good in college. I don’t know McGrone at all or the 7th round flyer, but the others are players that I noticed or heard good things about
Perhaps Sherman will beat out Herron; perhaps not.

Lol, I was just saying in another thread how bad the Raiders have been drafting since Gruden and Mayok have been there.

If we got a standout pick in the first round, and the rest of the draft was average, that is, by definition, a good draft.

I don't know yet, and neither does anybody else.

I like that beefy running back (forget his name). LeGarrett Blount was one of my favorite players. I'd love to see a reprise of that show.

Nice article in The Athletic on McGrone. Patriots’ Cam McGrone has battled back from injury before. Can he do it again now at an NFL level?

Good combo of athleticism, football instincts, discipline, focus, and smarts. Some pieces:

He was also incredibly intelligent. After Bush turned pro, McGrone wasn’t afraid to assert himself with the coaches as a sophomore.

“He loves football,” Brown said. “You better have your **** together when you go in that meeting room because he’s going to have a couple good questions for you. He keeps you on your toes. That’s probably the thing I like about him the most.”

“He was so glued into what we did defensively that he was almost an extension of coach Brown on the installs and understanding the defense,” Jean-Mary said. “He was super, super smart and understood the defense as well as some coaches.”

At 6 feet and 235 pounds with 4.4 speed, McGrone displayed similar sideline-to-sideline ability as Bush. Brown, who coached Matt Milano at Boston College, compared McGrone to the current Buffalo Bills linebacker in terms of his penchant to target the ball off the snap.

McGrone was cerebral enough to diagnose conflicted runs – against the spread with zone reads, quarterback keepers and the like – while working off pulling linebackers and avoiding getting caught on pass options. He was capable in coverage because of his speed, and Brown called McGrone a prototypical modern-day linebacker due to that collection of traits.

“He is a legit player,” Brown said. “Just watch him run. It’s impressive. That’s the definer. His athleticism just jumped off the screen.”

McGrone was a leader in practice, too. Every rep mattered, his or otherwise. When a particular defender kept jumping offside in one period, McGrone lit him up to ensure everyone was mentally on task.

Then on Saturdays, he took over in games against Notre Dame, Iowa, Penn State and Illinois, and Brown got him going in blitz packages to deploy that athleticism. McGrone finished the season with 65 tackles, nine for loss, 3.5 sacks, one forced fumble and a pass breakup.

“Cam is flying,” Ross exclaimed. “Cam is fast as ****. He’s fast. Seriously, he’s fast.

Nice article in The Athletic on McGrone. Patriots’ Cam McGrone has battled back from injury before. Can he do it again now at an NFL level?

Good combo of athleticism, football instincts, discipline, focus, and smarts. Some pieces:

He was also incredibly intelligent. After Bush turned pro, McGrone wasn’t afraid to assert himself with the coaches as a sophomore.

“He loves football,” Brown said. “You better have your **** together when you go in that meeting room because he’s going to have a couple good questions for you. He keeps you on your toes. That’s probably the thing I like about him the most.”

“He was so glued into what we did defensively that he was almost an extension of coach Brown on the installs and understanding the defense,” Jean-Mary said. “He was super, super smart and understood the defense as well as some coaches.”

At 6 feet and 235 pounds with 4.4 speed, McGrone displayed similar sideline-to-sideline ability as Bush. Brown, who coached Matt Milano at Boston College, compared McGrone to the current Buffalo Bills linebacker in terms of his penchant to target the ball off the snap.

McGrone was cerebral enough to diagnose conflicted runs – against the spread with zone reads, quarterback keepers and the like – while working off pulling linebackers and avoiding getting caught on pass options. He was capable in coverage because of his speed, and Brown called McGrone a prototypical modern-day linebacker due to that collection of traits.

“He is a legit player,” Brown said. “Just watch him run. It’s impressive. That’s the definer. His athleticism just jumped off the screen.”

McGrone was a leader in practice, too. Every rep mattered, his or otherwise. When a particular defender kept jumping offside in one period, McGrone lit him up to ensure everyone was mentally on task.

Then on Saturdays, he took over in games against Notre Dame, Iowa, Penn State and Illinois, and Brown got him going in blitz packages to deploy that athleticism. McGrone finished the season with 65 tackles, nine for loss, 3.5 sacks, one forced fumble and a pass breakup.

“Cam is flying,” Ross exclaimed. “Cam is fast as ****. He’s fast. Seriously, he’s fast.

Seems like a good flyer to take in the fifth round. Maybe he never gets truly healthy again, or maybe he's always in and out and his career is short, but this isn't another Jordan Richards (a "coach on the field" with no athleticism). This guy seems to have both. Worth that 5th regardless.

Yeah, if he can stay consistently..STEAL

Agree that is why he is a 5th rounder, not a 2nd. Big difference - Barmore in the 2nd, McGrone in the 5th.
Consistent with typical BB drafting (i.e. Gronk) of swinging for the fences on post-first round with injury risk players.

Yeah, if he can stay consistently...STEAL

The fact that he quickly recovered from his first ACL, on the other knee, and then actually improved his speed #'s, provides some optimism there.
The other injury seems to be routine, not an indication of prone-ness.

The fact that he quickly recovered from his first ACL, on the other knee, and then actually improved his speed #'s, provides some optimism there.
The other injury seems to be routine, not an indication of prone-ness.

I am all for optimism but I do not see how we think a guy with two ACL tears is not injury prone - worth the 5th round pick but I have my doubts about long term health.

B*tchers will be b*tchers. That’s the way this forum works for the perennial ones who scare away insightful posters and kill the collective IQ here. Yet somehow.. none of them in this thread have offered pick by pick insight on what supposed can’t miss guys they “should” have drafted instead during the middle and later rounds.
??What does the Patriot Draft have to do with being a butcher? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes