PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Campbell's hit on Mac dirty?

if I recall at the pro bowl, Mac was a trash talker…in fun of course…

Given Campbell's physique and inability to spontaneously levitate, I'm not sure how people would expect him to avoid landing as he did.

Dirty as hell. You don't put your weight on a guy as you're dragging him down from the backside.
It looked to be like the way he was pulling Mac down Mac would have landed on top of Campbell had Campbell not bounced off of Wynn and changed his trajectory.

Nah not dirty at all, and Campbell has earned the benefit of the doubt through his career.
Bingo. Campbell has never been a dirty player. This isn’t a dirty play. The only people who seem to think the hit is dirty are Pats fans. Sounds like sour grapes.

Maybe unfortunate the way they fell together and twisted, but not really dirty.

Now that I've rewatched the play, but number 14 (Bourne?) could've tried a little harder to catch the ball. (I know, the game was pretty much out of hand at that point)

Given Campbell's physique and inability to spontaneously levitate, I'm not sure how people would expect him to avoid landing as he did.

I keep coming back to the fact that Campbell left his feet and launched into the hit. I don't believe spontaneous levitation was ever a question.

Yeah, Campbell put some weight on that....but he's a defensive lineman....(shrugs). Not dirty, just hard nosed football.

And hearing that Mac talks trash....I like it. LFG!!

I keep coming back to the fact that Campbell left his feet and launched into the hit. I don't believe spontaneous levitation was ever a question.

Yep, there was No reason whatsoever for launching himself at Mac, or for even tackling him at all... None... All he had to do was finish his job with an obligatory two-handed push to knock Mac on his ass, game over, goodbye...

But the people who sign his checks erected a statue of a double-murderer; and his HC is a whiny little b!tch, so...

Not that we can entirely trust the league offices but are they looking at this play? I'd be curious to read their official interpretation.

Not that we can entirely trust the league offices but are they looking at this play? I'd be curious to read their official interpretation.
Bill won’t write a letter to the league on this I’d be shocked if he made a complaint.
Not Bills Style.

Bingo. Campbell has never been a dirty player. This isn’t a dirty play. The only people who seem to think the hit is dirty are Pats fans. Sounds like sour grapes.

No sour grapes here. Just an inquiry for multiple reasons, including Baltimore's reputation plus a history of antagonism between the two teams. And while Campbell might not be known as a dirty player, that doesn't automatically preclude the possibility of a dirty hit.

Here's what Campbell had to say:

No sour grapes here. Just an inquiry for multiple reasons, including Baltimore's reputation plus a history of antagonism between the two teams. And while Campbell might not be known as a dirty player, that doesn't automatically preclude the possibility of a dirty hit.

Here's what Campbell had to say:

I don’t know if you, personally, have sour grapes about it. I haven’t seen anything from you to lead me to that conclusion. I do, however, think a lot of Pats fans who feel it was a dirty hit have them. And Campbell is a classy player. I’ve seen him play a lot living down here. He’s remorseful that the hit led to injury. Doesn’t mean he knows it was dirty. It wasn’t. We left Mac in the game and it led to a 6’8”, 300lb man hitting him and then falling awkwardly. It’s football. He’s paid to disrupt the offense, and that’s what he was trying to do. It’s unfortunate that it led to an injury for Mac, but that’s the sport.

Not sure why some act as if a man that big can also be graceful like a ballerina. That’s not an easy amount of weight/size to stop on a dime.

I think if they threw a roughing the passer penalty, I think it would be a good call. But it was marginal. He did take Jones down significantly after he threw the ball to make it a justified penalty if called although marginal.

That said, I don't think it was dirty. Personally, I think people are too quick to call a play dirty anyway. It is easy to judge a hit or take down with replay, but in real time players just don't realize that the QB has gotten rid of the ball.

One thing to add, the decision to run a play before the 2-minute warning, when the OL might not have been completely ready to face the rush, was a foolish one... They were gonna have to attempt an on-sides kick if they scored anyway, so they should've just let those whole 9 seconds expire, go to the sidelines, put a series of plays together and take it from there... It wasn't like they were in the RZ, so why risk it?

And one more thing to add: That was a Horribly weak-ass attempt by Andrews there... If he had exerted a bit more effort, then maybe Campbell just stops in his tracks and merely raises his arms to try to block the pass...

One thing to add, the decision to run a play before the 2-minute warning, when the OL might not have been completely ready to face the rush, was a foolish one... They were gonna have to attempt an on-sides kick if they scored anyway, so they should've just let those whole 9 seconds expire, go to the sidelines, put a series of plays together and take it from there... It wasn't like they were in the RZ, so why risk it?

And one more thing to add: That was a Horribly weak-ass attempt by Andrews there... If he had exerted a bit more effort, then maybe Campbell just stops in his tracks and merely raises his arms to try to block the pass...
I'm sorry this is excuse making for a team that is mentally weak. The rushing to the line factor was the same for both teams. Back in the day our OL would have been able to take advantage of the opposing DL being back on their heels. One truism from the Parcel's era s that if you give a team an excuse to fail, they will. If BB has lost anything it is that he listened to the criticism about being too hard and unapproachable to become someone pretending to be chill. The mental edge is as important as physical as talent in any sport that is dangerous. More than than the experience/talent difference vs Mac this is where losing TB12 really hurts.

Watching it during the game, and the replay showed right after Mac was hopping off the field, I felt it was a dirty hit. Having had time to think on it a bit more and watch it again days later, I don't really think so anymore. It wasn't the perfect "QB hit" that the NFL wants and it certainly could have been Roughing the Passer but I don't think that makes it cross into "dirty" territory.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back