PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

'Voted off the island': Inside Bill Belichick's failed job hunt (ESPN report)

So Kraft has already denied the truth of this story?
But in that denial Stacey James looks like a stooge. From, "He absolutely did not say that..." to "Well, he might've said that in January, but not in February..." AND from "Kraft had absolute trust in Belichick, if he didn't he would've fired him" to Patriots fans being treated to a 10 week series of the Dynasty when Kraft professed in his own words repeated instances when he did not trust Belichick.

Well, the article also states that Belichick wasn't even top-3 in the Falcons search, according to the other members of the Falcons organization who had a say in the decision beside Blank. So Belichick not getting the Falcons job isn't all on Kraft.

But something is not adding up : we have heard a number of times that Kraft is cheap, so it was in Kraft's best interest that Belichick find another job in order to offset part, if not all, of Belichick's $25M salary for 2024. Yet we're supposed to believe Kraft tried to blackball Belichick from getting another job and he's fine with absorbing the $25M in full ? So Kraft is cheap or not ?
They settled that before Belichick left.

I think it’s just BB camp that try to save face because he couldn’t get a job. Better people believing that it is Kraft that sabotage him instead of him not being that attractive of a candidate a 72 and after the debacle of the last 2 years.

I don’t understand what Kraft has to gain by doing something like that. Better for his brand to let him go to the Falcons and be fired in 2 years with a losing record.
I don't understand what Bill would have to gain by this coming from him? Not sure how Kraft sabotaging him is better than being fired for not adequately replacing Brady. One leads to hundreds of other questions the other leads to one question can he get QB right post Brady on his 3rd attempt.

let me guess ...wickerSHAM or van natta....total grain of salt but the boston media will praise it and run with it like its the ten commandments.

Do we know what Kraft said? With Kraft and Blank being peers it could be possible Kraft just told his truth about dealing with BB. Something stinks here though.

Not Bill's coaching performance but his GM performance, which essentially negated the former. Being 72 is a huge factor against his getting another coaching job, unfortunately. That, and willingness to just coach and let someone else call shots on the roster.

If BB wants to be involved with an NFL team, an ideal arrangement would be as advisor/mentor to a young coach he likes and who trusts his judgment.
And his coaching performance. Last year his offense and special teams were both bottom of the league. That's not good if you are looking for a HC. You don't hire someone that you think is only going to be an asset on defense. The Patriots haven't been a tight mistake free team for the last couple years.

Bill's best bet is to say "I'll run the defense, I'll help coach overall fundamentals and get gameplans together, but after that the offensive coaches will be having the latitude to run their own system"

I don't understand what Bill would have to gain by this coming from him? Not sure how Kraft sabotaging him is better than being fired for not adequately replacing Brady. One leads to hundreds of other questions the other leads to one question can he get QB right post Brady on his 3rd attempt.
It's far better for the story to be "the ungrateful owner who I helped give 6 Super Bowls to badmouthed me and spoiled the pot for my coaching search" than for it to be "Bill Belichick was on the market and the league passed on him.

Two obvious answers: he hates Bill AND doesn't want to see Bill do well elsewhere.

Do we know what Kraft said? With Kraft and Blank being peers it could be possible Kraft just told his truth about dealing with BB. Something stinks here though.
To what extent is Bob required to say nice things about Bill? I mean, he fired Bill for a reason. It's one thing at the press conference where they're announcing their mutual parting, but in private, shouldn't Bob be allowed to say what he wants?

1. Kraft is an owner's guy and sides w/ them vs. anyone else
2. maybe he actually likes Blank and felt he was doing him a solid
3. I think he gave his honest opinion - it's pretty clear he tolerated bill because he won, but never liked him
4. I suspect he was a little pleased at being able to stick the knife in
5. If he wanted to help bill, he would have taken the 5th. "Yes, Bill did work here the last 20 years."

Yeah, if there's BS to the ESPN report (and there probably is), I think it's in the timing of when Kraft said bad things about Bill to Blank.
This is where I am at. It is obvious that Bill and Kraft weren't seeing eye to eye by the end of things and I am sure Kraft vented to some of his peers about it throughout the last year(s) but I don’t think he would throw Bill under the bus in an attempt to stop him from getting a job.

I think it’s just BB camp that try to save face because he couldn’t get a job. ……
Agree w SBB;
AND since WHEN does BB who made 75% of the press corps look like morons weekly have an IN to put out „his side“ of the story.

I seriously doubt he even cares what they write or is watching any of the hot takes types.

Agree w SBB;
AND since WHEN does BB who made 75% of the press corps look like morons weekly have an IN to put out „his side“ of the story.

I seriously doubt he even cares what they write or is watching any of the hot takes types.
Bill definitely has people he leaks news to. Rapp was basically his mouthpiece all of last season, whenever there was a bad report about him, Rapp would come in with some insider take that put Bill in a favorable light.

Don't mistake Bill not caring about the press conferences and trying to give as little as possible about the gameplans with him not understanding the public percetion game.

"According to ESPN, citing a source who spoke to someone close to Robert Kraft and another person close to Bill Belichick"

So BSPN's writers are 3 times removed from 'someone close to Kraft' that is the same distance the person who stickers my wife's car is from her. I wouldn't take his word for what she's thinking about serving for dinner never mind how she thinks about a complicated interpersonal relationship.

Likewise, think about how few people are probably 'close to Bill Belichck' Now try and envision even one of them saying anything at all, never mind something sensitive, to BSPN.

What we're looking at is an epic raging inferno implied by a wisp of smoke.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back