PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headline I read was that he said he was "On to smoke meats" Him owning a company like that is like an alcoholic opening a bar. He was one of my favorites. I was hoping he would slim down when he retired. This worries me. He is setting himself up to die young.

Wilfork started a foundation to fund diabetes research because his dad died at like 48. I'm pretty sure he's not going to just eat himself to death.

This is the same guy who dropped a bunch of weight after his achilles injury on purpose so his rehab would go better. He's not an idiot.

The headline I read was that he said he was "On to smoke meats" Him owning a company like that is like an alcoholic opening a bar. He was one of my favorites. I was hoping he would slim down when he retired. This worries me. He is setting himself up to die young.

Cut out carbs and sugars, he will be fine.

Wilfork started a foundation to fund diabetes research because his dad died at like 48. I'm pretty sure he's not going to just eat himself to death.

This is the same guy who dropped a bunch of weight after his achilles injury on purpose so his rehab would go better. He's not an idiot.

Food addiction, or any addiction, has nothing to do with intelligence. I watched him get progressively larger each year towards the end of his career. The fact that his father died young doesn't mean he can beat it. Plenty of people grow up with addicts for parents. Some vow to never be like that and others go down the same path.

I wonder if he's interested in a coaching gig here in New England...

We as a culture are too obsessed with longevity. If you live well, what does it matter when you die?

Food addiction, or any addiction, has nothing to do with intelligence. I watched him get progressively larger each year towards the end of his career. The fact that his father died young doesn't mean he can beat it. Plenty of people grow up with addicts for parents. Some vow to never be like that and others go down the same path.
How the hell do you know that Wilfork has a food addiction problem? You're leaping to conclusions. Not everyone who is obese has an eating disorder. Even if you were right it's none of your business.

Stream if you wanna watch live:

Thanks for the link! I enjoyed Ninko's and Vince's retirement press conferences. They were great! :)

I can't wait to see them both as honorary captains for the big games. I bet we never lose when they're captains just like Bruschi! :)

Sorry for the potato quality but we didn't have smart phones then. Here's a shot I took of Vince holding the Lombardi just after returning from his first SB win.
Cmpf2s5.jpg

Sorry for the potato quality but we didn't have smart phones then. Here's a shot I took of Vince holding the Lombardi just after returning from his first SB win.
Cmpf2s5.jpg

In with the "what is potato quality?" before you get a chance to edit it.

:rolleyes:

I love Vince, and all he did for us, and really like that we're doing something for him at the Pats.

But I find him announcing his retirement via a Kingsford bbq rack commercial, very tacky. I almost grimaced. He's made enough money. Did he need that 5k more or whatever. How about a dignified exit and then keep making commercials later. Imagine if Ninkovich had pitched some ad sponsors in his retirement speech. Sorry to say, I bet this was Bianca's idea as well, like her many other poor ones over the years.

I agree. It had a very Manning /Papa John's feel

Thanks AD.

Great farewell. But that's all the retirements I can handle for the year .. so, Matthew . better get your ass back on the field!

I'm starting to think that HOF voters are going to have a NT only class. Say maybe 5 years from now.

In a day & age when 99.9% of sports athletes are overpaid Vince earned his $ every single snap.

Basically fighting 2 guys for 40+ snaps a game every Sunday.

Did his job well all the time and stepped up in big situations.

Disagree completely, I think he's just being himself, and it was intended as humor. Manning's stuff was all pitch man and all about the $$$$&$$

Meh. He can do whatever he wants but let's not be gullible. What he did is called extending your brand beyond the playing career.

Todays tone and activities were in alignment with the respect VWs career deserves.

Pitching charcoal brikets and lighter fluid the day after he retires is not.

So retirees have no right to pitch their brand and transition into life after football as soon as possible after retiring? Sorry, I don't buy that. This was one of the last chances he was ever gonna get to pitch his brand under this many eyeballs. He's too smart a cat not to make the most of it.

Meh. He can do whatever he wants but let's not be gullible. What he did is called extending your brand beyond the playing career.

Todays tone and activities were in alignment with the respect VWs career deserves.

Pitching charcoal brikets and lighter fluid the day after he retires is not.

297.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye