PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Update on Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez' Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get nervous when he runs out of the backfield.

I hope this latest rumor/news is accurate, much better than I imagined after seeing him being helped to the locker room.

maybe it's not a high grade sprain but a mid/low grade sprain...he will be on crutches for at least a week though. Sprains are soo hard to walk on the first week. I was on crutches 2 weeks with my high sprain in HS. That hurt

A grade 3 sprain is a complete tear of a ligament, causing instability in the affected joint

Doesn't sound like this if it really is only a few weeks. This would be 1-2 months..maybe longer.

Most people improve significantly in the first two weeks. Some however still have problems with pain and instability after one year (5–30%). Reinjury is also common

So he may not be 100% the rest of the year..but AH at 75% is better than no AH

But then you have this report:

A Grade 1 sprain is a mild sprain that occurs when there is slight stretching and some damage to the fibers of the ligament. Individuals can usually place pressure on the foot and walk afterward.
A Grade 2 sprain is a moderate sprain where a partial tearing of the ligament occurs. If the ankle joint is examined and moved in certain ways, abnormal looseness (laxity) of the ankle joint occurs.
A Grade 3 sprain is a severe sprain in which a complete tear of the ligament occurs. If the examiner pulls or pushes on the ankle joint in certain movements, gross instability occurs.

A Grade 1 sprain could require anywhere from 1-4 weeks of recovery time; a Grade 2 or 3 sprain, in which there is some degree of looseness of the ankle joint, could take longer and even require surgery if the tear is complete. According to PFT's Mike Florio, Hernandez is expected to miss six weeks, which would suggest he suffered a Grade 2 or 3 sprain

Last edited:
One man's few is another man's several. No way the team is going to want opponents to know what the situation is. And the source did say October "at the earliest". I'd bet on that. Gronk's situation was a little different. You can wrap it up and shoot it up and clean it up later if it happens as late as his did. Heck, he was back on the field same game. Probably not terribly smart considering how business is sometimes done here. And he hasn't looked quite the same, not as sudden or quite as fast since. May just be knocking rust and some of his off season extra curricular activities off or may be ankle just isn't quite the same. In Hernendez case his speed and agility is a tad more significant to his performance, and he didn't fare as well when coming off a prior hip injury. May need to be 100% as opposed to 85-95% to be as effective as they need him to be.

I just recall that was the prognosis on Ty Law back in the day and after several weeks they realized it wasn't healing and at that point they re-evaluated and according to Law he had been initially mis diagnosed and the injury wasn't going to heel on it's own (well enough to perform as an elite athlete has to) and he went on IR and needed surgery that he had in December. He was still in a wheeled vehicle when he departed here prior to the FA period in March.

And I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

So you're saying you don't think that Hernandez or Gronk will ever be the same again after both of their injuries. You may be right, but man that is depressing. Their careers could basically have been stifled at such early ages. I can't believe the pats would have given Gronk that extension if this were a possibility though.

So you're saying you don't think that Hernandez or Gronk will ever be the same again after both of their injuries. You may be right, but man that is depressing. Their careers could basically have been stifled at such early ages. I can't believe the pats would have given Gronk that extension if this were a possibility though.

you can't be serious...can you? Gronk is back to 100% Are you guys not watching the games? or saw him streaking down the field beating his match ups in the 4th qtr left and right?

Gronk will never be the same and AH is done. Such a young age and they are both finished :rolleyes:

Last edited:

It's possible but that isn't what I was saying. I just think players don't all bounce back as easily as fans anticipate. Everyone is different. Some are quick healers. Others aren't as lucky and/or complications arise. Branch had to have his knee cleaned up a couple of times after his ACL. Rodney made it back from ACL/MCL/PCL (with a little help)h but had flareups later that season that kept him on the shelf down the stretch the following season. He was never the same after that, although he was one of those players who is still better than most replacements at 85-90%. Seymour had off season surgery in 2007 after he found he couldn't play well due to nagging injury and didn't make it back sufficiently and had to go on PUP to open the following season. Brady's been fine, and Welker seems to be too. Some guys can play well through nagging or chronic injuries. Other guys can't play worth a damn unless everything is in optimum working order. Hernandez tried to play through a hip injury his rookie year but he wasn't nearly the same and had it surgically repaired in the off season. He bounced back well from that.

Every player and injury/rehab instance is unique.

It's possible but that isn't what I was saying. I just think players don't all bounce back as easily as fans anticipate. Everyone is different. Some are quick healers. Others aren't as lucky and/or complications arise. Branch had to have his knee cleaned up a couple of times after his ACL. Rodney made it back from ACL/MCL/PCL (with a little help)h but had flareups later that season that kept him on the shelf down the stretch the following season. He was never the same after that, although he was one of those players who is still better than most replacements at 85-90%. Seymour had off season surgery in 2007 after he found he couldn't play well due to nagging injury and didn't make it back sufficiently and had to go on PUP to open the following season. Brady's been fine, and Welker seems to be too. Some guys can play well through nagging or chronic injuries. Other guys can't play worth a damn unless everything is in optimum working order. Hernandez tried to play through a hip injury his rookie year but he wasn't nearly the same and had it surgically repaired in the off season. He bounced back well from that.

Every player and injury/rehab instance is unique.

Gronk and AH are still very young and will heal faster than an older ty law or harrison. Which is the good part about it. Most healthy 22 year olds heal pretty fast. I healed very fast from back surgery at age 18 and a broken ankle at 20. Good part about being young :)

Last edited:
you can't be serious...can you? Gronk is back to 100% Are you guys not watching the games? or saw him streaking down the field beating his match ups in the 4th qtr left and right?

Gronk will never be the same and AH is done. Such a young age and they are both finished :rolleyes:

Gronk isn't there yet. Hopefully it's just a football conditioning or rust/focus issue. He was noticibly behind in early pre season. He's getting better, but still seems to be a half step behind.

Seriously, I don't get it. If Gronk isn't at 100%, then he's awfully close. I'm still more worried about his back, long term, than his ankle. And if Hernandez does actually have a low ankle sprain, then that's great news. Turns the 6 week estimate from optimistic to conservative, potentially.

Last edited:
Seriously, I don't get it. If Gronk isn't at 100%, then he's awfully close. I'm still more worried about his back, long term, than his ankle. And if Hernandez does actually have a low ankle sprain, then that's great news. Turns the 6 week estimate from optimistic to conservative, potentially.

depends on the grade..if it's a 1 could be 3-4 weeks..a 2/3..closer to 6

if gronk's ankle was not healing right, there is no way they extend his contract. i believe he is just fine and 31 other teams would love to have him in his present condition.

He shouldn't be back any later than after the bye week.

I rather have this now early this season than lost him in the playoffs.

Here you go.

Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer

Diagnosis on Aaron Hernandez's injury is low ankle sprain, but he also has damage to the high ankle area. Hope that's not too confusing

LOL Not to me it isn't...

BTW, since it is a low ankle sprain with some damage to the high ankle area, it sounds like there is a chance that he could be back in 3-4 weeks since it isn't a full blown high ankle sprain.

Nope. That would be medial.

The ankle joint provides the body with balance, stability, and the ability to bear the body's weight. It must do all these tasks while being exercised and manipulated over one million times a year.

Ankle sprains occur in several forms: the high ankle sprain, the lateral ankle sprain, the medial ankle sprain, and the low ankle sprain. The high ankle sprain injures the ligaments connecting the two bones of the lower leg (the tibia and fibula) at the ankle joint. The medial ankle sprain injures the inside ligaments, collectively referred to as the deltoid ligament. The low ankle sprain involves the ligaments supporting the subtalar joint. This is the joint just below the true ankle joint. The subtalar joint is responsible for the foot's ability to turn to the inside and outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST