PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unpopular Opinions

I think a few of us are on board with interior OL early. Not sure about LB though.

I would love a LB, but there just aren't any good ones, unless strictly pass rushing LBs count. The one exception is Mack Wilson, but I have to believe he's going to be pretty damn coveted.

The better LBs that aren't elite prospects might actually be positional change candidates. Sutton Smith and Ty Summers, for instance.

Most of Josh Allen's big plays were against slow LTs where he beat them around the edge. His game isn't going to translate to the pros. I didn't see other moves or the ability/will to bull rush.

He also seemed to make a lot of plays where the offense simply screwed up. You could say he was smart for picking up on what the offense did wrong but that also happens a lot less in the pros.

On the flip side, Allen can cover and actually play LB. I think he's more likely to be Barr than Mack in the pros, but that's still a good player. Top 5 always seemed a bit much to me -- I'd rather get a franchise QB or OL/DL -- but I think he clearly deserves to be a first round player.

Like that you're calling your shots, though! :)

I would love a LB, but there just aren't any good ones, unless strictly pass rushing LBs count. The one exception is Mack Wilson, but I have to believe he's going to be pretty damn coveted.

I'd like to draft Wilson. I'm fairly confident he will make it to 32. The problem for me is missing out on other positions, since I don't think he'll make it to 56. Bentley and Wilson sounds good to me as a future duo, but I doubt it will happen.

On the flip side, Allen can cover and actually play LB. I think he's more likely to be Barr than Mack in the pros, but that's still a good player. Top 5 always seemed a bit much to me -- I'd rather get a franchise QB or OL/DL -- but I think he clearly deserves to be a first round player.

Like that you're calling your shots, though! :)

I didn't love Barr coming out either. Thought he was drafted way too high so it's probably a good comparison. I thought Barr was a late second, early third guy. I liked him better than Allen but in the right system perhaps that's his upside which is pretty damn good. We'll see.

Another first round guy who I liked less than I do Allen was, ironically now, Akeem Ayers. Granted he was thought of more as a low first round pick but I honestly thought he was a 5th or 6th rounder coming out. A little bit of a different player but he was used in college a lot more like Barr. Again somebody who made plays when unblocked.

Edit: BTW a lot of projections have him going to the Jets @4 and if that's true you'll be joining me in rooting for Vernon Gholston II. ;)

I'd like to draft Wilson. I'm fairly confident he will make it to 32. The problem for me is missing out on other positions, since I don't think he'll make it to 56. Bentley and Wilson sounds good to me as a future duo, but I doubt it will happen.
There are really only a couple guys that I think are worthy of consideration over Wilson 32. Dexter Lawrence, Amani Oruwariye, AJ Brown, Noah Fant, Brian Burns, and maybe a few guys on the OL.

Pats don't draft a TE until round 3.

I can get down with this. OL instead? What are you thinking?

Not saying it would be a bad thing to go wr or te in this draft. Butler, Fant or Hockenson who they probably don’t have to worry about being there anyway. Those 3 are premiere players I think. Other than that I just don’t want to see Irv Smith drafted out of need, although he will probably end up being a good player. A lot of options at TE and Wr in a deep class.

I just think DL is the way to go. Such a hard position to draft because there is just not enough of them to go around that translate with the type of probable success. This years talent level seems rich at that position which is a rarity. Then again, this might be the new norm with all the conditioning and nutrition these guys are getting.

Metcalf is the 3rd best WR in the draft, at best

Tillery is a top 12 talent.

The TE group is overrated.

Tillery can two gap!

Not happening, he plays high and o line guys will put him on skates.

Metcalf is the 3rd best WR in the draft, at best

Tillery is a top 12 talent.

The TE group is overrated.

Tillery can two gap!

Not happening, he plays high and o line guys will put him on skates.

Tillery looks pretty good, but I see him as a one-gap penetrator a la Deforest Buckner, not a two-gap guy like Ty Warren. Definitely has pass rush potential with that athleticism and a solid move or two, but he's not particularly stout as you noted.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back