PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Udfa's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Quarterback

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With the lockout lifted, I haven't heard anything regarding teams being able to sign UDFA'S. If no new rulings are handed down, I assume they will be in play. Yes or no?

With the lockout lifted, I haven't heard anything regarding teams being able to sign UDFA'S. If no new rulings are handed down, I assume they will be in play. Yes or no?

Depends on the appeals process. My guess is things will not be worked out before Saturday, and hence, no UDFAs.

Teams cannot sign players right now so it looks like if your not drafted then your stuck in limbo for the time being. And I would hate not to be drafted at this time because of how many veteran FA will become available at the same time.

Teams cannot sign players right now so it looks like if your not drafted then your stuck in limbo for the time being. And I would hate not to be drafted at this time because of how many veteran FA will become available at the same time.

Once again the guys at the fringes get screwed. I'd advise taking those landscaping jobs now until the situation is resolved.

Depends on if Judge Nelson issues the stay or not. If she does not stay her own ruling, then the league will have to decide what rules they want to implement regarding UDFA's. But if the league declares teams may not talk with any UDFA's (or the draftees themselves or the current players for that matter), then the league has just opened themselves up to a HUGE antitrust/collusion lawsuit.

Last edited:
Depends on the appeals process. My guess is things will not be worked out before Saturday, and hence, no UDFAs.
The appeals certainly won't go through for a few months, but I think we'll have a decision by Friday whether or not Judge Nelson is going to stay her ruling. My money says she is not going to stay her own judgment.

The appeals certainly won't go through for a few months, but I think we'll have a decision by Friday whether or not Judge Nelson is going to stay her ruling. My money says she is not going to stay her own judgment.

If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if she gave the NFL some time to minimize the chaos, even if she doesn't stay her own judgment.

I never thought about the UDFAs! I wouldn't be surprised to see more 7th round picks be traded, so teams can get the extra players they would in FA!

Depends on if Judge Nelson issues the stay or not. If she does not stay her own ruling, then the league will have to decide what rules they want to implement regarding UDFA's. But if the league declares teams may not talk with any UDFA's (or the draftees themselves or the current players for that matter), then the league has just opened themselves up to a HUGE antitrust/collusion lawsuit.

Stay denied, draft starts tomorrow. Again I'm assuming they're in play on Saturday evening or as you say, huge collusion lawsuit. We'll find out soon.

The NFL stated that it will issue "guidance" today, my bet is that they start free agency at the conclusion of the draft, which would put the UDFA back in play.

The NFL stated that it will issue "guidance" today, my bet is that they start free agency at the conclusion of the draft, which would put the UDFA back in play.
That's what I'm expecting too. They are skating on thin ice by not following judicial orders, but I think they'll get a day or two of leeway, especially since the rulings were timed so close to the draft.

Assuming their emergency appeal to the district court for a stay is denied, I think they risk a huge crapstorm if they aren't back to business by Monday.

That's what I'm expecting too. They are skating on thin ice by not following judicial orders, but I think they'll get a day or two of leeway, especially since the rulings were timed so close to the draft.

Assuming their emergency appeal to the district court for a stay is denied, I think they risk a huge crapstorm if they aren't back to business by Monday.

Agreed, I think that they better come out with some sort of plan to start the "League Year" today, or they risk looking like they are ignoring the court ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down