PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing UDFA Malik Cunningham -- poor man's Lamar Jackson?

Malik is learning to play WR and will also be a scout QB. He’s like 6’ / 190 lbs. I guess he’s bigger then Flutie though.

Malik is learning to play WR and will also be a scout QB. He’s like 6’ / 190 lbs. I guess he’s bigger then Flutie though.
Combine measurements:

#1 Draft pick: 5'10.1" / 204lbs
Pats UDFA: 5'11.6" / 200lbs

I know accuracy is his big issue in the passing game (which we probably won't see in any regular season unless either a disaster or miracle happens), but I'm also hearing about lack of arm strength. Doesn't seem like an issue after seeing him throw 50 air yards on a rope (~2.6s release to catch) on a TD against Syracuse.

Cunningham isn’t going to play QB, he probably won’t make the opening day roster in NE at WR either. If he works hard the practice squad is a possibility.

And give me a break with “record setting money for an UDFA,” they gave him 200k. That’s chicken feed.

Cunningham isn’t going to play QB, he probably won’t make the opening day roster in NE at WR either. If he works hard the practice squad is a possibility.

And give me a break with “record setting money for an UDFA,” they gave him 200k. That’s chicken feed.
Back when it was still allowed they would pay some PS players as if they were on the 53.

And the record—of course a special case—is Lael Collins, who had his entire UDFA contract guaranteed. (As an aside, any money paid to an UDFA beyond the signing bonus counts against that guarantee.)

Back when it was still allowed they would pay some PS players as if they were on the 53.

And the record—of course a special case—is Lael Collins, who had his entire UDFA contract guaranteed. (As an aside, any money paid to an UDFA beyond the signing bonus counts against that guarantee.)
Sometimes UDFA's get better contracts than later round picks, to where it would have been more advantageous to go undrafted. If an UDFA makes the active roster and plays, he can earn.

Cunningham got a hefty wad of UDFA cash to sign with the Pats, it's still nothing in relation to NFL dollars. He's not a roster lock because of 200K. The kid rushed for a lot of yards in college, he's an inch taller and a few pounds heavier than Edelman was leaving college and ran the same forty time.

Edelman had world class mobility, Malik didn't run his agility drills in his pre-draft... we can't assume he has Edelman type of mobility, but his college stats scream at least pretty good. He's a long shot to make the roster, but it's hard to deny his production at Louisville.

I'm talking to myself but you're replying to my comment and egging me on to talk more. So here it is... Lamar Jackson is an all world talent, his ceiling is the best player in the league, we've seen it. Mentioning Cunningham at all as being Lamar like to any degree is DUMB.

Cunningham is 1 of 4 QBs on the Patriots roster. He's well behind Mac Jones and if he's not then MJ is even much worse than I thought and the Patriots QB situation is in a much sorrier state then anyone is willing to admit. Zappe is the backup and clearly should be next in line if Mac should flop again.

Is McSorley still on the roster? If so then why because we're not keeping 4 quarterbacks. If Cunningham makes the team (as a quarterback) then he's going to be inactive for season.

Aside from all that, there are many members on this forum who ridicule me for holding Jackson in such high regard (as a 1st round elite starter) but now we're supposed to be doing cartwheels because BB supposedly snagged a poor man's Jackson as an UDFA? I repeat... GTFOH!

There's something about Belichick that triggers you disproportionately. And money. Cunningham is getting paid a pittance in the context of pro football.

There's something about Belichick that triggers you disproportionately. And money. Cunningham is getting paid a pittance in the context of pro football.
I love BB and I love money. Luckily, I’ve been quite happy for almost half a century living w/o much of either. Just enough BB and just enough $.

Stay tuned for the Cunningham vs Zappe threads.
Is Cunningham really Michael Bishop via wormhole.

There's something about Belichick that triggers you disproportionately.
Belichick passed on Lamar twice in the 2018 draft. A player that has a league MVP ceiling. IBWTers label Lamar a "bad quarterback" and act like we dodged a bullet in not drafting him (and instead opting for a player we couldn't wait to get rid and another player the entire league is already done with). Now BB grabs Lamar's supposed mini-me 5 years later and IBWTers are suddenly a buzz about the potential of the UDFA. Just seems a bit ridiculous.

And money. Cunningham is getting paid a pittance in the context of pro football.
I said nothing about the money. Don't care. Pretty much I think the player is a waste of conversation. And if he actually becomes a serious topic of discussion then you'll know at that point that the team is really in big trouble.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back