PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Trent Brown trade to Pats

The Right side is Different than the Left side.

I already have.

Nope, just my own lying eyes.

I'm not the one using the fact that he's injury-prone as a reason to move him to LG.
Capt I still haven't heard a decent case to move him and have asked like 3 times.

You're so yesterday @BaconGrundleCandy !
Its moving him to backup today, you know, like Fleming. You just can't risk him starting and getting injured :)
Appreciate it boss. I can't keep up, getting ready for work.

Hey you hear they traded Cannon?? Thoughts on starting OL, LD??

I like Wynn a lot, but the kid is undersized and can’t stay healthy.

do you start him at left tackle and when he gets injured have to move a bunch or different lineman to different roles so someone can play in his in spot or do you have him in the old Cameron fleming role as a part time blocking tight end and backup swing tackle?

Yes agree. Wynn has missed 70% of his nfl games. He's constantly hurt. I'm tired of repeatedly changing the Online because he's unreliable. Trent Brown is a Champion-winning left tackle in the past for the Patriots and he's a better pass blocker than run blocker (a fit for left tackle).

i think the can't stay healthy tag is a little unearned
It's clearly not unearned. The hope is that the future is different, and that he can have a run of good health moving forward.

It's clearly not unearned. The hope is that the future is different, and that he can have a run of good health moving forward.

he's missed a ton for sure......but neither of his big injuries (achilles and turf toe) are chronic, broken down, fragile type injuries......he's less of a physical risk than say a david andrews moving forward

he's missed a ton for sure......but neither of his big injuries (achilles and turf toe) are chronic, broken down, fragile type injuries......he's less of a physical risk than say a david andrews moving forward
I'm not sure why you feel the need to try making a differentiation as some means of defense against the injury label. Whether you're missing games because of an ACL, an Achilles, a bruised thigh, a painful sprain, or your 17th pulled hamstring, you're still missing games because you can't stay healthy.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to try making a differentiation as some means of defense against the injury label. Whether you're missing games because of an ACL, an Achilles, a bruised thigh, a painful sprain, or your 17th pulled hamstring, you're still missing games because you can't stay healthy.

because lower body injuries are really common in the NFL

even more so for OL, so much so that the NFL allowed extra lineman in 2020

he's gotten two in his young career......but is that an issue of a player that can't stay healthy, or has just gotten his share of the inevitable early on? it's kind of hard to call it a trend if it is happening league wide.......he could blow up again, he could play 3 straight seasons without missing a game

because lower body injuries are really common in the NFL

That changes literally nothing.

he's gotten two in his young career......but is that an issue of a player that can't stay healthy, or has just gotten his share of the inevitable early on? it's kind of hard to call it a trend if it is happening league wide.......he could blow up again, he could play 3 straight seasons without missing a game
You're trying to argue that something that is 100% irrelevant is actually of significant relevance. It's not. He has not been able to stay healthy. The "why" of it matters not when disussing the "what" of the past-to-present. If you want to say that you hope he'll have better injury luck moving forward, you can get in line with every other Patriots fan. But that's hope, not analysis.

That changes literally nothing.

You're trying to argue that something that is 100% irrelevant is actually of significant relevance. It's not. He has not been able to stay healthy. The "why" of it matters not when disussing the "what" of the past-to-present. If you want to say that you hope he'll have better injury luck moving forward, you can get in line with every other Patriots fan. But that's hope, not analysis.

based on the injuries he's suffered, to say the trend will continue isn't analysis, either.....it's speculation, nothing in his NFL injury history says it is likely to continue or not likely to continue....in that case, the types of injuries he's suffered is wholly relevant.....he's suffered injuries that happen with high frequency, so the only reasonable conclusion to draw is that yes, he's suffered them.....yup, we all hope he stays healthy, but nothing really says it's likely he will orwon't, other than that these types of injuries are common, and he's dealt with them

Capt I still haven't heard a decent case to move him and have asked like 3 times.
Because 1) We're almost certain to lose our most athletic OLman, LG Joe Thuney;

2) Our next-most-athletic OLman is LT (as it should be) Isaiah Wynn; however...

3) Bill just re-acquired his SB-winning LT from 2018, Trent Brown; so...

4) Unless there are plans to re-sign Thuney (or a reasonable & cheaper facsimile thereof) AND move Shaq Mason to Center, Onwenu to RG and Brown to RT, then the logical conclusion to draw is that Brown returns to LT (provided he can show that he's still capable of playing well there), Mason & Onwenu stay at RG & RT respectively and as befitting their athletic abilities, and Wynn moves to LG where he also played in college and where his physical profile is better-suited anyway...

Look, if Bill, Carmen & Pop decide that Brown isn't cutting it at LT, then they can always try Big Mike at LG, keep Wynn at LT and move Brown to RT...Not as good as Brown-Wynn-Center-Mason-Onwenu in my opinion, but it's there...

My actual dream starting 5 is Wynn-Thuney-Mason/Andrews-Onwenu-Brown...

4) Unless there are plans to re-sign Thuney (or a reasonable & cheaper facsimile thereof) AND move Shaq Mason to Center, Onwenu to RG and Brown to RT, then the logical conclusion to draw is that Brown returns to LT (provided he can show that he's still capable of playing well there), Mason & Onwenu stay at RG & RT respectively and as befitting their athletic abilities, and Wynn moves to LG where he also played in college and where his physical profile is better-suited anyway...

Look, if Bill, Carmen & Pop decide that Brown isn't cutting it at LT, then they can always try Big Mike at LG, keep Wynn at LT and move Brown to RT...Not as good as Brown-Wynn-Center-Mason-Onwenu in my opinion, but it's there...

I think one could argue even with Thuney Wynn is our most athletic linemen or close to it. Maybe not as versatile bc Thuney can seemingly play all 5 spots in a pinch but nitpicking either way.

So honestly I feel like you're making my argument for me Capt. You want your most athletic guys outside, facing off against the most athletic guys the other side is throwing at you. Especially those that have shown the ability to play tackle that Wynn has.

The injuries suck but they're apart of the game. And some of ones he's suffered from aren't things you can prepare for or avoid. Especially last year where we basically had no bye week if I remember correctly. It was a brutal year for injuries and trying to heal up. If he was overweight, out of shape or something, ok I can see a point but the guy has been a model player since arriving in all aspects. Just got hit with some bad luck.

Also Brown has played RT a lot more than LT. The year he was here he was very, very good but let's not act like he was something we've never seen. Thuney was better and Shaq wasn't far off at all. So while he was good he wasn't the best OL on the team.

Idk if I'm in the minority or not but I absolutely love Wynn Onwenu C Shaq Brown. Athleticism and power on the left side and mostly power with some athleticism on the right side. Wynn kicking out, Onwenu pulling behind Shaq & Brown, the combos each will have! We'll see what Bill does but signing Brown, trading Cannon certainly looks like they have a good idea of how they want things to shape up.

I think one could argue even with Thuney Wynn is our most athletic linemen or close to it. Maybe not as versatile bc Thuney can seemingly play all 5 spots in a pinch but nitpicking either way.

So honestly I feel like you're making my argument for me Capt. You want your most athletic guys outside, facing off against the most athletic guys the other side is throwing at you. Especially those that have shown the ability to play tackle that Wynn has.

The injuries suck but they're apart of the game. And some of ones he's suffered from aren't things you can prepare for or avoid. Especially last year where we basically had no bye week if I remember correctly. It was a brutal year for injuries and trying to heal up. If he was overweight, out of shape or something, ok I can see a point but the guy has been a model player since arriving in all aspects. Just got hit with some bad luck.

Also Brown has played RT a lot more than LT. The year he was here he was very, very good but let's not act like he was something we've never seen. Thuney was better and Shaq wasn't far off at all. So while he was good he wasn't the best OL on the team.

Idk if I'm in the minority or not but I absolutely love Wynn Onwenu C Shaq Brown. Athleticism and power on the left side and mostly power with some athleticism on the right side. Wynn kicking out, Onwenu pulling behind Shaq & Brown, the combos each will have! We'll see what Bill does but signing Brown, trading Cannon certainly looks like they have a good idea of how they want things to shape up.
Yeah I smell what you're cooking...And one advantage of having Onwenu at LG i suppose is that there should be more push from both right & left sides when doing straight-up, man-to-man blocking; and that in turn should make the defense's job harder when trying to figure where the run is going...

Yeah I smell what you're cooking...And one advantage of having Onwenu at LG i suppose is that there should be more push from both right & left sides when doing straight-up, man-to-man blocking; and that in turn should make the defense's job harder when trying to figure where the run is going...
the rock eyebrow GIF

Agree completely.

This is the least risky. Brown won a ring at LT here. Onwenu knows RT well. You're asking the most injury prone guy Wynn to move to LG. Brown at LT engulfs DEnds with his massive frame, he's a mismatch winner pass-blocking almost anyone. The other lineup, I'm not opposed to, but I highly suspect Wynn will be unreliable/unhealthy at LT at which point then you're switching up everyone on the OLine again in a live season to adjust to Wynn constantly being out. If for some reason we go with lineupB and Wynn gets hurt again, just forget putting him back at LT, roll with Trent Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT and stop shuffling people around. I'd personally just lead with this lineup up front, as 3 straight years of being hurt a lot for Wynn is a pattern for me, very very few cases of guys being reliable dependable foundation players in their career who got nicked up so much so often their first 3 years as Wynn.

Agree completely.

This is the least risky. Brown won a ring at LT here. Onwenu knows RT well. You're asking the most injury prone guy Wynn to move to LG. Brown at LT engulfs DEnds with his massive frame, he's a mismatch winner pass-blocking almost anyone. The other lineup, I'm not opposed to, but I highly suspect Wynn will be unreliable/unhealthy at LT at which point then you're switching up everyone on the OLine again in a live season to adjust to Wynn constantly being out. If for some reason we go with lineupB and Wynn gets hurt again, just forget putting him back at LT, roll with Trent Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT and stop shuffling people around. I'd personally just lead with this lineup up front, as 3 straight years of being hurt a lot for Wynn is a pattern for me, very very few cases of guys being reliable dependable foundation players in their career who got nicked up so much so often their first 3 years as Wynn.

I'm less concerned about Wynn's injury susceptibility than I am about Onwenu being able to compete athletically at LG, especially when those who have played the right side vs left side are considered.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back