PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Trent Brown trade to Pats

I see the insanity in this thread is still alive and well :)
It's too funny. Forget about technique, traits & performance. Let's move a guy to a completely different position bc he's been injured. Some of those injuries happen to have been an achilles & getting rolled up on by another player (you know something that doesn't happen every game :rolleyes: )

I'm legit still waiting for an even semi decent argument as to why Wynn should go inside. I'm not going to get one either and we know why.

Fair enough. Would moving him to G prevent his injuries?

I don't know. But I know he's a super injury prone tackle and we have Trent Brown who was an elite left tackle for us who played a full season without getting hurt and won a Superbowl for the Patriots playing left tackle.

It's too funny. Forget about technique, traits & performance. Let's move a guy to a completely different position bc he's been injured. Some of those injuries happen to have been an achilles & getting rolled up on by another player (you know something that doesn't happen every game :rolleyes: )

I'm legit still waiting for an even semi decent argument as to why Wynn should go inside. I'm not going to get one either and we know why.

This thread has all the traits to go in this boards crowded HOF/HOS :)
Pats bring in legit T who fits RT like a glove cheap . yet the topic is moving one of best young LTs either to G or off the team completely :)
No analysis, film based pros and cons in 24 pages of course.. jerking-off works much better..

And in all the talks about injuries - no talk about how well he bounced back each time..

And no Onwenu wasn't better lol. Again there's no insight or actual argument here. Let me guess ... PFF lol?

btw - PFF has Wynn graded way over Mount Brown :)

Brown 2018 - 16 games - 3 sacks - 12 QB hits - 39 tot pressures - 9 penalties
Wynn 2020 - 10 games - 4 sacks - 4 QB hits - 17 tot pressures - 2 penalties

Over last 2 yrs Wynn played 18 games Brown 16. (#cutbothandbringsomerealtackles)

With Scherff getting tagged, Thuney is the top rated Guard left. He's gone.

Andrews on the other hand can still be kept since Corey Linsley wasn't tagged by GB. Unless we want to pay for Linsley, a much better Center, we should make Andrews an offer that's not insulting (say $6M aas) since he's still young.

Linsley is the top graded C in the league. He's going to cost $11-12M/yr but we don't want to pay Andrews $7? You'll get a marked improvement but at what cost?

The overall impression on other sites, from people doing thorough evals of the FA's, give Linsley a slight advantage over Andrews, not a big one. Based on what I've read, Andrews @$7M is a much better investment than Linsley @$12M.

If we put brown at left tackle and keep mason at right guard and onwenu at right tackle, we need a center and left guard. (Wynn, Cunningham and Herron become backup tackles/guards)

I think d brown of Alabama could start from day 1 for us at left guard and I like the center from Kentucky late in the draft as a run blocking masher, but would bb start two rookies on the offensive line?
Deonte Brown? AT LEFT Guard?? That's a terrible idea...Might as well start Onwenu there in that case...

Don't know if I would use Any draft pick - even a 6th/7th - on Drake Jackson...too small...There are ALWAYS good players who fall into those last two rounds who would provide better value...

For now, we have
Wynn, Onwenu, veteran signing (and a rookie), Mason, Brown
with Cannon there until camp.
I could even see Belichick having Cannon be an expensive backup.
That would be a Complete waste of money.

no, he would be an under sized guard and probably get more injured. nfl defensive tackles are bigger and stronger than nfl defensive ends or college defensive tackles.

the beauty of Wynn is how well he handles ends in both the running and passing game.

the problem with Wynn is he bruises easily!
Wynn would be a bigger Guard than Mason is now, so...

He can play guard but can't switch sides at tackle? This makes little sense...
The Right side is Different than the Left side.

I still haven't heard an argument as to why he should be moved to guard? Please articulate it?
I already have.

And no Onwenu wasn't better lol. Again there's no insight or actual argument here. Let me guess ... PFF lol?
Nope, just my own lying eyes.

Wynn displayed much better footwork, hand usage & better against competition. Let me know when Onwenu is stoning Bud Dupree & dancing with Frank Clark. People are just going overboard. Onwenu played great but this stuff sounds casual as hell. About as casual as moving Wynn inside bc he played G in college & has been hurt. Is switching positions going to prevent injuries?

He's played tackle at a very high level and displays some great traits for the position. Would you want to move Becton inside bc he missed time?
I'm not the one using the fact that he's injury-prone as a reason to move him to LG.

If we put brown at left tackle and keep mason at right guard and onwenu at right tackle, we need a center and left guard. (Wynn, Cunningham and Herron become backup tackles/guards)
Wynn as a BackUp? Dude is a really good LT when healthy and can handle speed rushers way better than Onwenu. I liked Onwenu at RT a lot but i think he can dominate inside against bigger DT more. We haven't had much push on the left side so Onwenu at LG would be nice
I think d brown of Alabama could start from day 1 for us at left guard and I like the center from Kentucky late in the draft as a run blocking masher, but would bb start two rookies on the offensive line?
I think having guys like Onwenu Brown and Mason who are stellar run blocker gives us more need of a idk more athletic offense linemen than D. Brown. He is not well in space and i view him more of a RG in a power run game.

Wynn as a BackUp? Dude is a really good LT when healthy and can handle speed rushers way better than Onwenu. I liked Onwenu at RT a lot but i think he can dominate inside against bigger DT more. We haven't had much push on the left side so Onwenu at LG would be nice

I think having guys like Onwenu Brown and Mason who are stellar run blocker gives us more need of a idk more athletic offense linemen than D. Brown. He is not well in space and i view him more of a RG in a power run game.

If you watch 2020 Alabama tape, you will see number 22 running behind number 65 all game long. Why? Because when brown goes forward defenders go backwards.

he is a monster and as bb says, you can’t teach size.

If you watch 2020 Alabama tape, you will see number 22 running behind number 65 all game long. Why? Because when brown goes forward defenders go backwards.

he is a monster and as bb says, you can’t teach size.
I agree but we already have 3 monsters. What i would prefer now is a guy who can move well in space for screens etc. brown showed during the senior bowl that he is way too slow to do that. So i think if we keep doing that we should try to get a guy like AVT for example

I agree but we already have 3 monsters. What i would prefer now is a guy who can move well in space for screens etc. brown showed during the senior bowl that he is way too slow to do that. So i think if we keep doing that we should try to get a guy like AVT for example

brady is gone, so do we still need a zone blocking scheme? I don’t think so.

Or do we move to a power running scheme given that we MUST run the ball well next season because newton is beyond awful as a passer.

power blocking schemes are easier to learn and easier to execute and easier to mix and match guys since it does not require as much coordination and movement!

brady is gone, so do we still need a zone blocking scheme? I don’t think so.

Or do we move to a power running scheme given that we MUST run the ball well next season because newton is beyond awful as a passer.

power blocking schemes are easier to learn and easier to execute and easier to mix and match guys since it does not require as much coordination and movement!
I agree but i don't want to built the offense just for Newton. I most certainly hope we draft a QB who is a good passer or sign sbd. else.
Where would you want to play Brown?

I agree but i don't want to built the offense just for Newton. I most certainly hope we draft a QB who is a good passer or sign sbd. else.
Where would you want to play Brown?
I like Wynn a lot, but the kid is undersized and can’t stay healthy.

do you start him at left tackle and when he gets injured have to move a bunch or different lineman to different roles so someone can play in his in spot or do you have him in the old Cameron fleming role as a part time blocking tight end and backup swing tackle?

do you start him at left tackle and when he gets injured have to move a bunch or different lineman to different roles so someone can play in his in spot or do you have him in the old Cameron fleming role as a part time blocking tight end and backup swing tackle?
I'd be ok with whoever out of the OT wins the LT job probably between Brown and Wynn. If Wynn is injured I'd be ok with moving Brown to LT and Herron to RT or let Herron play LT. I think Herron did a solid job and i think we can expect him getting better. He looks like a good swing tackle.

i think the can't stay healthy tag is a little unearned......i've said it before in this thread

he came out of college with shoulder issues.......that hasn't troubled him

a blown achilles happens a lot......lotta bodies rolling around......and the turf toe injury is soooo common these days.....neither of those injuries was due to being undersized, not durable, etc.....sometimes **** just happens

i think the can't stay healthy tag is a little unearned......i've said it before in this thread

he came out of college with shoulder issues.......that hasn't troubled him

a blown achilles happens a lot......lotta bodies rolling around......and the turf toe injury is soooo common these days.....neither of those injuries was due to being undersized, not durable, etc.....sometimes **** just happens

both of those injuries are movement injuries.

The most common movement injury is the ankle.

if his “luck” continues this season, he will miss games with either a high ankle sprain or rolled ankle or broken ankle.

Is that a risk we want to take?

both are pretty random, though....it's not like he's broken down, or has taken too many headshots

yes, it is a risk we want to take

both are pretty random, though....it's not like he's broken down, or has taken too many headshots

yes, it is a risk we want to take

I guess we see between now and July how bb plans to play it.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back