PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Training Camp Day 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see Harry starting to make plays in camp...hope he can carry that over to a game!!!

"Patsfans" says never. The critics have all panned his performance. He's no one's binkie. All is lost for him. :rolleyes:

I like what im hearing about JJ Taylor.

So Cam looks good?

then you cut him. If he is not worth his salary- you cut him. Does he think he will get more than a new deal with the pats after last season and this summer?

I do not buy all the negative talk about Sanu. OK he is not a number one. But in the ravens game last year when he was healthy, he was excellent (10 receptions). Need some veterans at wide receiver. If you let him go, Jules is essentially the only returning wide receiver established veteran. Pats already invested a 2nd rounder in him (admittedly out of desperation). I do agree that you see if he will restructure. But I think he will likely bounce back and I would not cut him. In my view, Gunner, Myers, Harry, Byrd are all pretty much completely unproven. Sanu has an established track record as a reliable possession receiver and capable blocker.

Justin Rohrwasser may be sent to the PS if Nick Folk keeps kicking like this in pratice. Justin missed one and Nick made all three of his FG attempts. Jake Bailey to keep kickoffs for second season even though it hurt his punting average last year a bit. But still since Justin is not ready and is dealing with an injury. Expect the team to go with Nick Folk for this season IMHO. Let the kid sit in and watch for the season. Then next year, Justin if he is healthy enough to take both FG and KO duties and let Jake B just punt next season.

Nobody wants to admit it but Rivers and Shilique Calhoun have looked good every time they have been healthy... they simply can't stay healthy, otherwise they would be good OLB's.

If Rivers could only stay healthy. Seems like the story of his career and what might end his time with the Pats.

Sounds like it was a good day for Sanu. He beat Gilmore in both of their 1-on-1 matchups.

Reiss highlighted in his daily camp notes that since Jules got the day off it was Sanu that got to do additional 1-on-1 work with Newton in the endzone, and said it reminded him of how Brady used to have those side sessions as well (see observation 9):

I get why people obsess over a fully non-guaranteed contract but I feel like the way he keeps being part of side sessions tells what the coaching staff thinks about his status on the team.

Still waiting to hear similarly positive news from additional beat guys before I get my hopes up but maybe the front 7 will come together nicely.

Jeff Howe on Damiere Byrd:

Byrd has been a low-percentage target in camp, catching just 16 of 31 passes from the three quarterbacks, including six interceptions and two pass breakups when they look his way. But he had a good spurt late in practice when he beat Stephon Gilmore on an in-cut, and Stidham’s quick-strike hit Byrd in stride. Byrd led off the next period by breaking away from J.C. Jackson toward the left sideline for a catch from a Newton throw. On consecutive routes, Byrd beat the Patriots’ best pair of cornerbacks with possession-type routes. While it’d be nice to see Byrd’s speed put to use with the deep stuff, it hasn’t been there. If he’s going to be a valuable member of the roster, it’s more important in the short term to evaluate his ability on those short and intermediate routes, and he shined with two of them Tuesday.

@SammyBlueCat Ivan Fears says J.J. Taylor is "Little Dion"

Ivan Fears On J.J. Taylor, “Little Dion Out There”:
Ivan Fears is one of the most colorful and enjoyable coaches to talk to for the Patriots. A 44-year veteran coach, he’s a hard man to please but he’s also a source of unending encouragement on the field. Fears has a reputation (well deserved BTW) of getting the most out of his running backs, and so far, he likes what he sees in the diminutive running back J.J. Taylor.

“Little Dion, that’s what he is. Little Dion,” Fears said. “Exciting, fun … he’s got some great hurdles to overcome and the kid battles his butt off to try to get that done. We’re very pleased with what we’ve seen from him, we really are. We’ll see how far he can carry it.”

Still waiting to hear similarly positive news from additional beat guys before I get my hopes up but maybe the front 7 will come together nicely.

I get the fear when Van Noy and Hightower aren't here but I still feel extremely confident about this D and the front 7. Guy and Butler are Beasts. Winovich showed me enough last year to be really excited. Cowart is probably my binky right now. Simon has been dependable for us and I think he's ready for that Vet edge role. Uche looks good. Wise and Bentley are now experienced.

With our secondary that should be enough tools for the front 7. And I fully expect a top 5 D again.

I get the fear when Van Noy and Hightower aren't here but I still feel extremely confident about this D and the front 7. Guy and Butler are Beasts. Winovich showed me enough last year to be really excited. Cowart is probably my binky right now. Simon has been dependable for us and I think he's ready for that Vet edge role. Uche looks good. Wise and Bentley are now experienced.

With our secondary that should be enough tools for the front 7. And I fully expect a top 5 D again.
I view the d like this. 5 dbs 2 DTs and 4 other guys bb mixes and matches to get what he wants. Last year Collins played a lot but prior to that the 3rd lb was almost non existent except in obvious run downs.
So a mixture of 4 guys that as loosely called de and/or LB with many players within different skill sets being mixed and matched is a much easier way to replace HT and KVN than putting someone specifically in a determined role.
Winovich, Bentley, uche, Simon, Jennings, wise, rivers, Calhoun, Copeland are all candidates for the mix and most will play important roles to varying degrees. I expect the first 4 I listed to get the most snaps but the other 5 will figure in and we will mix and match to make it unpredictable.

I agree on the upside.

I like Cowart but am not entirely sure what to expect in terms of consistency. Also if Bentley gets injured I am not sure how they will be able to compensate and who gets the green dot.

I think they can still end up with one of the better defenses we have had in the last decade and stay significantly below the 21 points allowed on average marker where BB defenses usually end up. Having a totally stacked secondary in a passing league allows for that.

Dito.

There are so many things in life to worry about, cant see why anyone would pick NE front 7 - BBs bred & butter - that will actually be front 6 or 5 most of the time :)

Sure there might be a few hickups on the road to December . threads will be traditionally full of no pass rush cant stop the run . when it matters the fronts 7,6,5 will be ok like they normally are

I agree on the upside.

I like Cowart but am not entirely sure what to expect in terms of consistency. Also if Bentley gets injured I am not sure how they will be able to compensate and who gets the green dot.

I think they can still end up with one of the better defenses we have had in the last decade and stay significantly below the 21 points allowed on average marker where BB defenses usually end up. Having a totally stacked secondary in a passing league allows for that.

Dear luuked, you worry too much ;)

Cowart was always consistent & so far dependable. Size & position was the Q for some, obviously not for BB.
Several players already got the green dot incl. Jennings in his first practice ;)
I would like very much a healthy Bentley season..

The only issue I see with the front 7 right now is depth. With our secondary, teams will test our run D. It should be solid, but we need Allen back healthy to save wear and tear on Cowart.
Great to see Rivers finally healthy. Hope he stays that way. Dude can passrush.
Also good to see how quickly Uche is coming along.
This D will be one of the best again. But Im more excited about next year.
BB can only do so much with the rooks this year, just not enough practice time.
But Dugger next year? Dude will be all over the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes