PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Training Camp Day 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the WR's are showing some flashes in practice against the leagues best secondary but after Edelman and Byrd there is not a lot of experience there, if Sanu is cut). I do think Harry deserves more time though.

Thanks, luuked. I wish id only read this. The rest is quite mediocre run through the roster w just quick personal observations & wo any meat. No line-ups, units, formations, 1v1, situational replacements, team dynamics, context to tasks at hand and his evaluations... I found Reiss regular notebook more informative. In a year wo preseason games id thought somebody would step up with more in depth reporting or at least lay out the basic stuff we were used to in these threads previous years - so at least the units, line-ups, rotations, # of reps that is not just QBs..

The way he raves about Elm, Cunningham and Herron calling them an upgrade at RT seems quite over the top. I hope he is half right though.. ;)

Nothing against the boy btw, he does decent job on the most part during the year.. but its all about quick twitter takes these days.. I wish Ian would send one of you guys there :)

The thing I found most useful over the years is go with a ensemble approach where you only take things for real when its repeated by 2-3 of the beat guys.

The Gunner improvement has been reported by many and Herron was also reported by Reiss. On the other hand the way Lazar is excited about e.g. Asiasi's quickness but calls his blocking mediocre goes against what others have said. I have heard Dussault say that he isn't sure Asiasi will be able to gain much separation and then another beat guy say he looked good blocking.

At least that is my approach trying to make sense of the chaos during camp.

The thing I found most useful over the years is go with a ensemble approach where you only take things for real when its repeated by 2-3 of the beat guys.

The Gunner improvement has been reported by many and Herron was also reported by Reiss. On the other hand the way Lazar is excited about e.g. Asiasi's quickness but calls his blocking mediocre goes against what others have said. I have heard Dussault say that he isn't sure Asiasi will be able to gain much separation and then another beat guy say he looked good blocking.

At least that is my approach trying to make sense of the chaos during camp.

I really hope that his early optimism about the Pats young offensive linemen pans out. That would put them in a great position for years to come.

Thoughts and prayers for Capt. Stone if Eluemunor becomes a solid starter this year, because that would mean the BB made a shrewd trade last year and also he'd have to stop using the dumb-ass disparaging nickname (one of many, each dumber and less funny than the last) that he uses when writing about him.

The problem with you, Deus, is that you have a BS excuse for everything. You're actually worse than Andy Johnson. You've NEVER admitted to being wrong even when people showed you to be wrong with actual facts.

You're claims at your post being humor is nothing but SPIN on your part. It shows how big of a complete DB you actually are.
upload_2020-8-24_6-24-12.gif

BB already made a note..

Which tackle trade are you looking at?
If you mean DT (heck he could still trade for an OT as well), I think he's going to see what he has with Xavier Williams first and continue to monitor Fat Thor's foot issue...0/1-techs Snacks Harrison, Marcell Dareus & Domata Peko are still on the street...

Who's moving/staying?
Jeff Thomas & Fat Thor (temp IR?) will be Out while Gunner & Xavier Williams will be In...

1. There are lingering questions about Harry but speed isn't one of them. He is plenty fast for a 225-230 lb player.

2. Not liking a player who has been given ample opportunity to perform (Richards is a good example for many here) is different than labeling a hard-working 22 year-old kid who disappointed as a rookie for a number of reasons a bust before he play a single snap in year 2 and, in some cases, rooting for him to fail.

3. I prefer humor to be humorous. I'm weird like that.

Only a fool thinks there's not a question about Harry's playing speed.

I'd love to hear from the folks that are ready to give up on Harry who they'd should bring in at a comparable price. Just practically due to the economic factors involved with rookie deals I don't see a reason to move on from him at all.

It is not only way too early in terms of number of years to talk about moving on but even within this season it is absolutely premature to evaluate someone one way or the other. Give it at least 10-12 days of padded practice.

Chad Jackson is due!

The guy was one of the youngest players in his draft class (won't be 22 until December), missed a huge amount of practice time in the preseason and for the first 8 weeks of the season, when he returned was still expected by the Pats fan base to be the savior for the offense and then was not allowed to work through growing pains because of his rookie-phobic quarterback, who seemingly made no effort to boost Harry's confidence.....unless the lack of public support, head-shaking, sideline helmet-slamming and bench-pouting was a TB12 reverse-psychology confidence-boosting technique. I've written this before but please look and at Brown's stats and Deebo's game logs last years....neither looked like rookie impact WRs until the second half of the season.

I agree with this paragraph 100%, especially the bolded part.

Look, I love Brady. He's the GOAT, full stop. But he was terrible last year - his head just wasn't there. After AB checked out, so did he. The offense he demands is precise, and that simply wasn't going to be there with the lack of experience in the WR crew.

If Newton stays healthy and can regain any of what he had before, the Pats offense will be better this year than last year, primarily because of THAT position. And no, I'm not saying that Newton is better than Brady; I am saying that Newton and many other professional QBs could play better than Tom Brady played for the Patriots last year, particularly after the fling with that knuckleheaded ex-Steeler.

When he's in the game, putting in the work, pulling hard, Brady is probably still among the top 3 in the league - and I wouldn't be surprised if he and Gronk take the Bucs to the title game, particularly with the rest of that receiving corps.

But that simply wasn't Tom Brady last year. I don't want to argue about why, or who's fault it was, but that just wasn't him last year. At his age, he has to be mentally perfect to perform. He'll probably be the old Brady on the field this year.

But if he was going to be the same guy we saw last year...no thanks.

I'm not going to judge Harry, or Meyers for that matter should he make the team, until the QB, you know, will actually throw him the ball.

One other point: both Brown and Deebo played on grind-it-out running football teams. You couldn't play the Titans or the 49'ers without putting 7-8 in the box. teams playing last year's Pats mess had no such issues.

Last edited:
(i.e. "can't separate")

So here's an interesting thought...a little B.F Skinner psychology...with an excellent Patriots secondary providing the "looks" in practice all the time of low separation does the quarterback get conditioned to expect that low separation and therefore in expecting it lowers his patience with any/all WRs and causing hesitation in pulling the trigger to throw the ball?

This then carries over as a conditioned response to what the QB sees every practice and even if there is slightly more separation in the games against lesser secondaries the QB still makes that hesitation because that's all he's seen day in and day out? In a game of seconds, reaction time counts.

Victims of our own success? I've heard weirder takes...especially in sports radio.

Jesus, you really love to pump your own tires.

Regarding Wino, what about this do you find disappointing???

"Chase Winovich: Winovich is building on a strong rookie season with more of the same in his second year. He’s got a great initial burst off the line, hustles, operates in the scheme well, and can chase down ball carriers coming across the formation. He hasn’t done anything that suggests his snaps won’t dramatically increase this season."
Lol. I f***ing love "pumping my own tires"!

This is what I found disappointing: "He hasn’t done anything that suggests his snaps won’t dramatically increase this season". He's supposed to be the lead guy on the Edge now that Van Noy and Collins are gone. Lazar's analysis was "He's doing well, but........"

I think trading Joejuan Williams To SF for Solomon Thomas and a late pick would be worth entertaining.

Always thought he could be a better player here due to his miss usage in San Francisco.

Supposedly he’s having a decent camp playing the 3 tech position. We have a need there.
Thomas is very similar player to Trey Flowers so that could make sense.

Lol. I f***ing love "pumping my own tires"!

This is what I found disappointing: "He hasn’t done anything that suggests his snaps won’t dramatically increase this season". He's supposed to be the lead guy on the Edge now that Van Noy and Collins are gone. Lazar's analysis was "He's doing well, but........"
What a terribly worded statement...so, his snaps will increase this year because he is doing everything he needs to do.

What a terribly worded statement...so, his snaps will increase this year because he is doing everything he needs to do.
Lazar's analysis was bizarre. The first and last sentences don't match up with the rest.

Lazar's analysis was bizarre. The first and last sentences don't match up with the rest.

The wording was not great but what he means is that Wino has not made any significant or recurrent mistakes thus far, which would make the coaching staff leery about significantly increasing his snaps this year.

Thomas is very similar player to Trey Flowers so that could make sense.

Another over drafted, mis-used, but uber athletic player, that was drafted that year is Haason Reddick. There’s talk he can be had for a real late pick. It’s possible he’s just a straight up bust, but looking into his past 4 years in AZ, it could very easily just as much be chalked up to 3 different positions with 3 different D coaches. He’s supposedly pretty good in coverage in certain packages as a LB, and we have a need there.

He was heavily scouted by the past the year he was drafted. Go get us another KVN like reclamation project bill!

Another over drafted, mis-used, but uber athletic player, that was drafted that year is Haason Reddick. There’s talk he can be had for a real late pick. It’s possible he’s just a straight up bust, but looking into his past 4 years in AZ, it could very easily just as much be chalked up to 3 different positions with 3 different D coaches. He’s supposedly pretty good in coverage in certain packages as a LB, and we have a need there.

He was heavily scouted by the past the year he was drafted. Go get us another KVN like reclamation project bill!
Both the 9ers and Bears messed up badly in that draft. Bears fell victim to the "late riser" and massively reached on Trubisky.

The 9ers fleeced the Bears, but taking Thomas at 3 was terrible when they also desperately needed a QB. Passing on Mahomes at least came back to haunt them in the worst way.

And now I want passing on Brady in FA to make their worst nightmare come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick