PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade up to 1 - what would it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol Upf, I was just going to write the same thing...anything involving TL, would start with BB and probably include every pick this year and next year. If TL is a once in a decade type of qb, Jacksonville would be crazy to even consider it...but the good news is they are Jacksonville, but still probably less than a 1% chance of being able to do it.

Out of the box thinking, I like it.
He'd dispatch Ernie to do it, though, and then fane pleasant surprise when Jacksonville called to offer the #1 for our #1 plus Stidham.
No guns. I see Ernie as more of a Tom Hagen type with the Jacksonville owner finding a horse head in his bed.

lol Upf, I was just going to write the same thing...anything involving TL, would start with BB and probably include every pick this year and next year. If TL is a once in a decade type of qb, Jacksonville would be crazy to even consider it...but the good news is they are Jacksonville, but still probably less than a 1% chance of being able to do it.
Facts.

Me too. That could be what’s needed to do it.
Jacksonville isn’t doing that. They aren’t trading Lawrence, no matter how good the package is. The question should be about trading up to 2 for Fields, but the Jets won’t consider a deal with the Pats, no matter what the price.

Jacksonville isn’t doing that. They aren’t trading Lawrence, no matter how good the package is. The question should be about trading up to 2 for Fields, but the Jets won’t consider a deal with the Pats, no matter what the price.
i would prefer see the jets taking fields at no spot 2, actually i hope they do

I hope the Pats try just for the laughs of watching the meltdown of NFL fans across the country.

Seriously though what would it take? By the draft value chart assuming the Pats again pick at #15 or so in the 2022 draft, the “fair” deal by draft value would be both our first and second this year and next year + a late pick in exchange for Jacksonville’s first this year. For sure other teams will be giving the Jags a call anyway so that might not do it. Maybe start by adding someone like Stidham or even Gilmore too?

Not saying they should do this but fun to speculate what it would take.
Fun to think about but there’s just no way to net us the #1 pick. Lawrence is likely a generational QB and no package is worth it.

We’d need to give up at least two firsts, two seconds, JC Jackson and one of our top offensive players. And even then it won’t do. That’s about the most value we could possibly offer anyhow.

I don't think we need to move up to #1. First, because BB doesn't do that. But also, I don't think Jets are taking a QB. I don't think they're giving up on Darnold yet. Then, I don't think anyone will take a QB till DET at 7 and maybe CAR-9, DEN-10, DAL-11. Which is why I think trading up to 7 or 8 with DET or NYG would be enough to get Wilson. I think he's going to be a winner. I'm actually not that interested in any of the others. So if we don't do that, then don't reach for some middling QB you're never going to develop. Just get a solid FA

I don't think we need to move up to #1. First, because BB doesn't do that. But also, I don't think Jets are taking a QB. I don't think they're giving up on Darnold yet. Then, I don't think anyone will take a QB till DET at 7 and maybe CAR-9, DEN-10, DAL-11. Which is why I think trading up to 7 or 8 with DET or NYG would be enough to get Wilson. I think he's going to be a winner. I'm actually not that interested in any of the others. So if we don't do that, then don't reach for some middling QB you're never going to develop. Just get a solid FA
washington is in the market for a qb as well i guess, they like smith but can see rivera want a young qb to develop behind smith, and if they loose next week to dallas and we win one of our games they are picking ahead of us. I can see the falcons jets giants panthers considering a qb as well depending on who other player outside of qb are available

Trade value chart says your average #1 overall is worth 3000.... I would guess Lawrence would probably be closer to 4000-5000 from the jags perspective. Our entire 2021 draft will add up to less than 2000.

Seeing as how it's a good bet that the pats will improve to a top 10 team, it would probably take this year's 1st as well as 4+ future 1st round picks. I'm pretty sure Bill isn't looking to put himself in the same category as Ditka.

The only way jags would lose enough leverage to make this a possibility is if Lawrence pulls an Eli/Elway, and the pats are one of only a few teams on his list.

So, there's a chance.

If Jets are smart they’d keep Darnold and trade back.

If Jets are smart they’d keep Darnold and trade back.
Pretty big « if »...

but seriously, unless they are offered crazy amounts, I’d think they should get the LT.

I think Jacksonville is taking Lawrence and won’t listen to trade offers. I was kinda hoping that Dallas would suck enough to get the top pick, they might have traded it.

I don’t see any other QB that is worth a first rd pick.

Plus the Pats just don’t have the draft capital to even consider trading up. I wish there was a way that the Pats could end up with Lawrence, I just don’t see how they can pull it off, unless Ernie has something on.....

3E021374-C356-4BF9-91EF-3892927A065D.jpeg

This hasn't been updated for recent changes and the Pats are currently 15th but lets say they get to 12th, they wouldn't be able to get above 5th trading their entire draft.

draft value chart.jpg

Pretty big « if »...

but seriously, unless they are offered crazy amounts, I’d think they should get the LT.

Depending on who knocks they might be able to get both.

After Jacksonville the next 5 teams (Jets, Miami, Atlanta, Bengals and Philly) will be looking to trade down to get more assets. None of them really are actively in the QB search business. Even Atlanta will most likely try to maximize their window with Ryan/Julio for 1-2 more years with more talent.

It will be fascinating to see how the dominos fall this year..

Plus the Pats just don’t have the draft capital to even consider trading up. I wish there was a way that the Pats could end up with Lawrence, I just don’t see how they can pull it off, unless Ernie has something on.....

Draft capital is rarely a limiting factor. You got an entire draft next year (and beyond) to give away.

The question is if that package of picks as a whole plus an above average QB on a cheaper deal are not worth more than whatever Lawrence ends up being with a team that would have many more holes than usual. And once you are close to paying off that mortgage in terms of assets you are going to find yourself awfully close to paying him a market rate deal effectively substantially reducing any of that "rookie QB" benefit you'd normally have.

Getting into the top 3 from outside the top 5-7 is just so cost prohibitive that I personally don't think it is worth it for anyone especially because of the uncertainty of projecting that player.

Everything aligned for KC with Mahomes when they got him at #10. Just take a look at the drop offs on the trade value chart..

More than the Patriots will give up.

The only way I see is trading up in round#1 is for Florida TE Kyle Pitts who is by far the best TE prospect in the draft.

I would give the farm for Lawrence, but that’s not Belichick’s style.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Belichick trade back & take Alabama QB
Mac Jones.

I also love Zach Wilson, but his passing is not as accurate as Jones, although he does
Have far better running ability.

When I watch Tape of Wilson, his receivers are open by a mile, but they always have to slow down for the pass. His highlights show very few passes hitting players in stride.

Jones is very accurate & usually hits his receivers in stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down