PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade JAG and a couple late picks for Clowney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all know it's Watt, not Watts, right?

Would you trade JAG plus a pick for Clowney?

No

I want the return to pay off long term, not for a year or two, and I wouldn't send Garrapolo to Houston or Denver.

Last edited:
There is no way David Patten makes this team.......
Sorry I was in a ten year snooze.. Did I miss anything????

It looks like they are Keeping JAG as low cost insurance in the event the unthinkable happens. Would they trade him if Browns or someone else knocked their socks off? Who knows but it isn't happening for 2 second rounders as is reported as the current offer. That's a "GTFOOH and don't come back until you're serious" offer. They play the year with Jimmy under contract and see what happens in 12 months.... Do they risk losing him as a FA next year? Absolutely but maybe some team that wants him badly comes in and it becomes a franchise tag and trade if they can negotiate a long term deal. Jimmy is going to "get paid", it just may not be this year.
Or maybe Brady decides to pull an Elway and retire if he wins 2 in a row again and 3/4 again and he listens to Giselle.......... As it stands, the Pats have 3 QBs under contract and are solid at starter and backup x2........ There are worse positions to be in.......
The same argument came be made for NOT trading Butler.......

Last edited:
Clowney has fewer sacks, fewer ints, and fewer FF than Kony Ealy. If we got Ealy for trading back 8 spots from the late 2nd. Why would we give a franchise QB + picks for Clowney? :confused:

Also note that Ealy is cheaper.

Of course. Unfortunately the Texans would laugh and hang up the phone.

I disagree, Clooney is seriously injury prone and he's going to want 100 million in two years. If they really like Garrapolo they would do it.

I disagree, Clooney is seriously injury prone and he's going to want 100 million in two years. If they really like Garrapolo they would do it.
I have changed my mind anyway on this one. I don't want the Texans to have a QB like Jimmy in our conference. Better to trade him to the Browns.

I just know in 2016 he was playing as good as he's ever played in his NFL career and really stepped up with Watt sideline. Would fill an immediate need on our team in a big way.

I'll trade a backup QB for that anyday. But with that said... I agree with the point that if JG turns out to be anything, the Pats just gave the Texans a QB and they don't have one now so there is risk.

I just know in 2016 he was playing as good as he's ever played in his NFL career and really stepped up with Watt sideline. Would fill an immediate need on our team in a big way.

I'll trade a backup QB for that anyday. But with that said... I agree with the point that if JG turns out to be anything, the Pats just gave the Texans a QB and they don't have one now so there is risk.
THIS is exactly why I think the Patriots should only trade JAG for the moon... Cleveland's number 1 and 12... or an amazing player and a pick. The reason I feel this way is the Pats really just don't have to trade Jimmy. Might as well only trade him if the offer is absolutely awesome.. otherwise forget it you can't have him right now.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

shaddup.....you traded him for a 2nd rounder a long time ago

I could see packaging Butler and JAG for Clowney. They have had JJ Watts forever and have won nothing with no QB. Everybody consensus agrees you need the QB to win in this league. It might be hard for them to give up Clowney, but I still feel it's hard for us to give up JAG if the brass feels he is a franchise QB.

To me the logic is there that if JAG is that kind of QB, getting a player like Clowney in return is reasonable. I think Clowney is like Willie, and could you imagine if they got him and Hightower also came back?

It is not going to happen. It is not based on anything real. However it is definitely the level of player that I want for JAG at this point. Or a very high first round pick or I say keep him to "protect" next season's window.
@TommyD4207 "What's funny? If he is a franchise QB, we are the ones getting fleeced on these theoretical trades."

@TommyD4207 Funny in which direction? Not enough in return for JAG?
Why the **** would you want Clowney of all people? He's had 3/4 of one good season, and unlike QBs, Edge Rushers are pretty easy to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back