PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bengals won't make any moves because they don't feel like it's their job to "make other teams better."

This is why they will never...ever win anything.

This is unreal

Yea, why rebuild your ****ty team with draft capital. Dumbest organization in the NFL.

Question: where did the apple fall furthest from the tree — Mike Brown or Mark Davis?

Good question. My calculus is

Paul Brown > Al Davis
Mike Brown < Mark Davis

Mike Brown at least had some serious involvement in the sport. Isn't Mark Davis' claim to fame that he ran the Raider's Retail Stores?

To Mark's credit (and why I say he fell "less far" from the tree) is he at least realizes his expertise isn't running the day to day operations and is willing to give those responsibilities to people who have that skill set (at least more than he does).

Mikey is notoriously cheap and seems to view their franchise as merely a means to make money (rather than a good product on the field). And further, won't give up the roles he should. The Bengals seem to be the Pittsburg Pirates of the NFL.

Both guys are a "Born on Third and think they hit the triple" types. Mark's ego seems to allow him to do "more right" than Mikey's does.

That starting five would be perfectly fine. However we know that Shaq is battling with an injury and Wynn has already sustained two long-ish term injuries in his very short career. We need better depth pieces because what we have after those five is hot garbage. Trade for another OL and hope that he can be developed into a more reliable stand in if one of the five is out.
I understand the point.

I'm assuming Shaq and Wynn will be healthy enough to play well during the stretch run.

Newhouse goes back to being a backup when Wynn comes back. Hes fine in that role.

O.j. Howard is their first target.
A.J. Green is their second target. His ceiling is a 3rd (compensatory pick if he leaves). They’ll probably want at least a 2nd.

They are in the market for a receiver. His name is N'Keal Harry.
If we want to play with the words a little, a receiver who is big enough to be a TE.

If Wynn-Thuney-Karras-Mason-Cannon all stay healthy during the rest of the season, the offense will be fine. The question is IF

FCK no! If anything, bring back Trent Brown!

giphy.gif

I don't claim to be a cap expert nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last week in the suburbs of Philly, but how would that even work?

Pats have like 2 and change in cap space and didn't Nate sign a "biggest OL deal evah"?

ETA - This assumes they would even want him, which given the critiques of his play this season, seems like stretch (in a vacuum)

I mean if we take this serious for a moment.

I just don't see how the Giants could make the Pats bite on it. It would require a Solder restructure to turn some of his salary into a bonus that stays with the Giants.

And even then it would just be a half season rental given the rest of his contract. So how much would BB even offer up ? Why not cut him at the end of the season instead for the Giants and risk injury to their rookie QB even more.

It is a weird one.

I understand the point.

I'm assuming Shaq and Wynn will be healthy enough to play well during the stretch run.

Newhouse goes back to being a backup when Wynn comes back. Hes fine in that role.
Fair. I just don’t think Newhouse is good enough. I’m not saying you’re going to find someone who is great as a backup but I’m down on Newhouse, I don’t think he belongs even as our primary backup. We may not have a choice though.

I don't claim to be a cap expert nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last week in the suburbs of Philly, but how would that even work?

Pats have like 2 and change in cap space and didn't Nate sign a "biggest OL deal evah"?

ETA - This assumes they would even want him, which given the critiques of his play this season, seems like stretch (in a vacuum)

His base salary according to spotrac is like 5.4m this year and he would be cut at the end of the year. So in terms of prorated money it would be somewhere around half of his base salary.

I guess you could cut Cunningham or Newhouse but that saves maybe 250k.

Unless the Giants restructure him down to a minimum salary and move that over I really don't see what would make this attractive.

His base salary according to spotrac is like 5.4m this year and he would be cut at the end of the year. So in terms of prorated money it would be somewhere around half of his base salary.

I guess you could cut Cunningham or Newhouse but that saves maybe 250k.

Unless the Giants restructure him down to a minimum salary and move that over I really don't see what would make this attractive.

Gave you a thank you, but could have also gave an Agree and a Like.

They all fit with my position.

We won’t get solder we’re going after Beckham

We won’t get solder we’re going after Beckham
At this point WR is not the big need. We have enough to be efficient. The problem is OL and TE.

Fair. I just don’t think Newhouse is good enough. I’m not saying you’re going to find someone who is great as a backup but I’m down on Newhouse, I don’t think he belongs even as our primary backup. We may not have a choice though.
Wynn is a massive upgrade over Newhouse. No debate there.

I'll defer the suitable backup debate until camp. From my PoV, hes been passable, Tom is still breathing and they are 8-0. Could be a lot worse...

I don't want them to bring Solder back, but to answer your question:

Solder's 2019 base salary - $5,400,000

So the big contract isn't really the problem for the Patriots to work around, because of its built in bonuses and the like. I don't see the deal happening much more because of the way it would affect the Giants cap than the way it would affect the Patriots cap.

Trade: Jets traded Leonard Williams to Giants for a 3 this year and a 5 in 2021, per source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back