PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Bryant released do the Pats dump Nugent?

Or just go with what we have. At some point the 4 we have need to sort themselves into roles and actually play in those roles. By December they will be a piece of the scheme. If we keep playing different guys, being in Eifert and he gets hurt in 3 weeks and we stop and start over it never improves.

I think having a C grade at the position that you get comfortable in a role, in your system and with your Qb is better than having a B grade player that isnt melted in.

I think a small bet on Eifert is worth it. He would be dirt cheap in terms of cap hit and if he gets injured you go back to who you have anyway. But yeah opportunity cost should not be just washed off the table, I agree.

With Bryant released do the Pats dump Nugent?

He is a more stable kicker in the 40s than Nugent. Most of his misses came from 50y-ish attempts. Can he be had for pretty much what Nugent would cost for the rest of the year ? Can he handle kicking in the elements ?

This is why we need Greg Schiano back in Tampa Bay more than we ever needed him here.

This deal will get done for Howard but it’s Going to be more expensive then we would like that’s my prediction.
I’m guessing a member of the secondary goes to Tampa with the trade we won’t love it but it will be the right move.
That or a first a next season and a third the next based on performance.
They have us between a rock and a hard place.
We Will over pay and it will still be the right move.

Oh yeah they can have Jason McCourty.:D

I think a small bet on Eifert is worth it. He would be dirt cheap in terms of cap hit and if he gets injured you go back to who you have anyway. But yeah opportunity cost should not be just washed off the table, I agree.
It’s the continuity that concerns me. Particularly when I can platoon Watson and Tomlinson and you can’t tell me Eifert is a tremendous upgrade.
Continuity makes a lesser player perform better than a more talented player still fitting in. Imo

My prediction is, the Pats stand pat (pardon the pun). I don't think they will give what it takes to get Howard.

It’s the continuity that concerns me. Particularly when I can platoon Watson and Tomlinson and you can’t tell me Eifert is a tremendous upgrade.
Continuity makes a lesser player perform better than a more talented player still fitting in. Imo

Think of Tomlinson as the FB.

This deal will get done for Howard but it’s Going to be more expensive then we would like that’s my prediction.
I’m guessing a member of the secondary goes to Tampa with the trade we won’t love it but it will be the right move.
That or a first a next season and a third the next based on performance.
They have us between a rock and a hard place.
We Will over pay and it will still be the right move.
I just don't see it happening in my opinion.

I just do not think it makes the team "better enough" in order to pay that price. What is Howard worth in this offense? An average of 3 points a game? 4 points a game? I just don't think that is enough to give a #1 or to send a top member of the secondary packing. Especially with Harry coming back and Sanu recently added. The offense is going to look a lot different in 2-3 weeks than it does now.

Just MO

eifert 22 games played in last 4 years..yikes

My prediction is, the Pats stand pat (pardon the pun). I don't think they will give what it takes to get Howard.

I don't know if the following is true, but I think it's a possibility:

One problem making a trade for Howard is that Licht might well be in a precarious position with regards to his job. While it makes sense for him to tailor his personnel around the choices of his new HC, he may currently be in a position where "giving up" on Howard is viewed as a major negative by his superiors who are taking a longer view of the past rather than just looking at last year and this half season.

If TB wants more than a 1st they can go fry an ice cube.

Last edited:
Can someone just PLEASE assist us in winning another Lombardi?!?!?

Particularly when I can platoon Watson and Tomlinson and you can’t tell me Eifert is a tremendous upgrade.

If healthy Eifert is a substantial upgrade on Watson and Tomlinson. But that is a gigantic if.

Folks suggest that TB give back a second.

This kind of analysis is nuts. This would mean getting Howard for a 10 place move in the draft. We have to understand that our #1 is a couple of spots away from a #2 from a team like the jets or MIA.
======
I suspect that we will need to give a first. I suppose that we might give a 1st and 2 thirds and bring back a second.

I agree, the Patriots swapping their first for the Bucs second seems like a good starting point. Patriots likely trade down from 29-32 to 39-42, estimated 10 spots (though these are 10 fairly large spots at this point in the draft.)

On the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart, that trade is worth roughly 100 draft points. If the Patriots then added their 3rd round pick, that's another 120 points (estimated)

That puts them at 220, which is the equivalent of the 74th overall pick, or about an early-mid third rounder. It's not a huge amount, but Howard is also in the third year of his rookie deal and not making much impact with Tampa Bay...as someone pointed out, this isn't like the Cooks deal where they're getting a productive player.

Trading another third round pick in 2021 gets them closer to a mid-2nd in overall draft points; I don't think the Patriots want to go that high (or more accurately, don't want to give up that quantity of picks) but could certainly be wrong.

eifert 22 games played in last 4 years..yikes

He's played the last 8 and all we need to worry about is the next 11.
Cincy holding onto him at this point is just beyond silly. Mike Brown doesn't need to worry about looking foolish, it's much too late for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back