Best 1st Round Outcome

• Caleb Williams

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Jayden Daniels + Roman Odunze

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters
I'd take the QB but trade or cut Mac. Get a vet QB who can play until the rookie is ready. I'd prefer Cousins of the vet free agents, but would be okay with someone else for a short term.
Cousins won't exactly be cheap... he has leverage in that he cannot really be franchised again - the cost would be astronomical... and if there is a looming starter waiting in the wings, there is scant chance he would come here if the Vikings decide not to re-up his deal when there are other QB hungry teams out there looking for more than a stop gap starter...
I think if you have your franchise QB, you have to just start playing him right away
i getcha, and partially agree - nothing beats experience... unless the o-line is over hauled / revamped i don't see the benefit of starting them right away - short term gains are limited, long term benefits are what we are looking for... however, get a few high caliber OL players in free agency & the draft, i would consider it...

I'm not sold on Williams and Maye is Mitchell Trubisky, take Harrison Jr and sign a vet QB, lets see what happens when you actually have a WR1 in your offense!
Yeah I can't shake the North Carolina stink from the Trube onto Maye. That and the 2-4 record over the last 6 games with 57.7% comp, 12TD, 5Int. Based on the highlights where he makes silly throws that work out against future cubicle workers but wouldn't against NFL players, he doesn't seem like someone worth a 1st Rnd pick. But who am I to go against what the radio says is a hit song right now?

I will lose my mind if we trade pack and don't take one of the top 2 guys when we have the choice.

I like the trade back idea.

I like a QB who feels he has something to prove, rather than an entitled attitude.

Would Jamarcus Russell have been better if he slipped to the 2nd or 3rd round?

The chip on his shoulder served Brady well, as did lowered expectations and sitting for a year.

We should learn from the failures of other teams. What percentage of really highly drafted QBs work out?

I like the trade back idea.

I like a QB who feels he has something to prove, rather than an entitled attitude.

Would Jamarcus Russell have been better if he slipped to the 2nd or 3rd round?

The chip on his shoulder served Brady well, as did lowered expectations and sitting for a year.

We should learn from the failures of other teams. What percentage of really highly drafted QBs work out?
I couldn't disagree with this more. The percentage of first round QBs that are good (and this is all debatable on what is good and what isn't) is roughly 40% over the last 20 or so years. Obviously 40% is pretty low but when you look at QBs drafted outside of the first round it is significantly lower than 40%. We can't be too scared to take a QB early because we think he could end up being a bust. You can't run a football team scared of what may go wrong.

Playing a QB out of the gate doesn't seem to work as much as waiting and learning.
I really wonder what would've happened if Cam started in 2021 and Mac sat and watched. With all the new weapons, if healthy, Cam probably would've led the Pats to the same 10-7 record. I mean he was 7-8 in 2020 under terrible conditions with Izzo as his only TE. That being said, McD's departure leading to the Patty decision probably would've screwed anyone regardless.

Interesting that the most recent 4 surefire imho HoFers (Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Brees) sat a year or so on the pine.
Different times. We live in an era where folks demand instant fixes. However, you make a good point.

Or get your QB this year, and if we stink next year (likely) we trade back then for a haul.

It just seems like too much of risk to trade back this year if we’re sitting at 1 or 2 and passing on a potential excellent QB.

Different times. We live in an era where folks demand instant fixes. However, you make a good point.
As far as 24/7 media is concerned, I can't argue with the perception of instant fixes, but I feel like that's always been the case since I'd been a fan in the mid 80s - it was just more subdued back then because it didn't hammer us into submission all the time.

If we look at the last decade, there were no SB winning QBs who started close to full time their rookie year with their winning teams except almost 10 years ago with 3rd Rnd Chef Russ. We'll see what happens this year, though.

The last time a top 10 pick who started right out of the gate who actually eventually led his team to a SB was Peyton for the 2006 season. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong... there's a technicality where Ben Reipthehelplessberger and Eli weren't the Week 1 starters).

If you could guarantee me we can get Odunze and Daniels, that’s the route to go. This years crop of qb’s have no more questions than previous years. Most of ‘em are going to be busts and a few are going to surprise during their career. I think being able to add two guys increases your chances one of ‘em pans out. I wouldn’t be opposed to doubling up at the qb position neither. Grab 2 qb’s, snag a few wr’s and sign a vet. Hang on to 3 qb’s until you’ve found your guy.
If you can’t guarantee me that you get both, then draft whomever your guy is. Don’t play no games.

I will lose my mind if we trade pack and don't take one of the top 2 guys when we have the choice.
according to whom, though? Williams is 6'1 and sounds a little iffy, Maye is from a mediocre program. Maybe Daniel, Nix, Penix, or McCarthy are better.

Look at the Baker Mayfield (1st), Zach Wilson (2nd), and Trey Lance (3rd) picks, which were failures. And successes like Jalen Hurts in the 2nd, Dak Prescott in the 4th, Brock Purdy in the 7th, Sam Howell in the 5th.

There are 8 starting QB's in the league taken as top 5 picks and still with their original team. An equal number of starters (8) were taken between pick 6 and 20. The other 16 teams have guys either picked lower or traded around, some of whom are on the best teams in the NFL: Philly, SF, Detroit, Dallas.

Cousins won't exactly be cheap... he has leverage in that he cannot really be franchised again - the cost would be astronomical... and if there is a looming starter waiting in the wings, there is scant chance he would come here if the Vikings decide not to re-up his deal when there are other QB hungry teams out there looking for more than a stop gap starter...

i getcha, and partially agree - nothing beats experience... unless the o-line is over hauled / revamped i don't see the benefit of starting them right away - short term gains are limited, long term benefits are what we are looking for... however, get a few high caliber OL players in free agency & the draft, i would consider it...
Why would cousins be a stopgap here but not elsewhere?

according to whom, though? Williams is 6'1 and sounds a little iffy, Maye is from a mediocre program. Maybe Daniel, Nix, Penix, or McCarthy are better.

Look at the Baker Mayfield (1st), Zach Wilson (2nd), and Trey Lance (3rd) picks, which were failures. And successes like Jalen Hurts in the 2nd, Dak Prescott in the 4th, Brock Purdy in the 7th, Sam Howell in the 5th.

There are 8 starting QB's in the league taken as top 5 picks and still with their original team. An equal number of starters (8) were taken between pick 6 and 20. The other 16 teams have guys either picked lower or traded around, some of whom are on the best teams in the NFL: Philly, SF, Detroit, Dallas.
I love Williams arm and intangibles even though he's kinda short. Caleb just make plays.

People seem to like to cherrypick drafts so here's another one. The 2020 draft. Burrow at 1, Tua at 5, and Herbert at 6. All great quarterbacks all went early. Hurts and Dak are anomalies. Look below at the names highlighted in red. Those are the only guys currently starting in the NFL since Dak in the 2016 draft and out of the 6 quarterbacks only Dak, Purdy, and Hurts would be considered good. That is 3 good quarterbacks drafted outside of the first round in the last 8 drafts out of all those names.
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 10.59.59 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 11.01.26 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-07 at 11.02.09 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-07 at 11.02.55 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-07 at 11.03.30 AM.png

This is such a weird feeling for us; being in the position of having a top 3 pick.

Correct if I’m wrong, but we haven’t been in this position since ‘92 when we drafted Drew..if my memory serves me right.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back