PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 dissapointing players in the Brady/BB era

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Kind of a downer topic but good to temper excitement. Not every draft pick will hit and not every sure thing FA is a sure thing as we recently saw with Easley. With that in mind here is my list. This will consist of draft picks and FAs the Pats have signed.

#1 Laurence Maroney - RB - IMO the most disappointing player of the BB era and the highest picked to truly bust (21 overall). He stayed on this team for a while but really that didn't matter. The Pats had one of the worst running games in the NFL and Maroney was a big reason why. Maybe the only reason. He was let go as soon as it made since financially and it makes you think of what might have been if they had gone a different way.

#2 Ras-I Dowling - CB - When got nicknamed glass-I you know that is bad. This guy could just not stay healthy and it is a case of BB taking a chance to get a stud player that did not work out. I don't hate the strategy but it hurts when you miss. If you don't do it though then you never get a guy like Gronk. Picked 33 overall

#3 Dominique Easley - DT - picked 32 overall we knew the risk but the reward was there and we even saw a little. I still believe if he could have stayed healthy he would have been one of the most devastating players in the NFL. Too bad he could not.

#4 Brandon Meriwhether - SS - Mr Big Bang Clock himself was picked at 24 and for a little while it was hopeful we found the next Rodney Harrison type player. However the kid was as dumb as a rock (unlike Rodney who is perhaps the most intelligent defender the patriots ever had in terms of football smarts and that is saying something). Even with a probowl which was based on undeserved reputation it is clear this was a huge and costly miss and it took the safety spot a while to recover from it. Thank good for McCourty.

#5 Adalius Thomas - LB - FA 5 year 35Million dollar deal - And the first non-draft pick makes the list. What a costly blunder of a FA deal this was. I completely understand why BB did it and he rarely misses so big when he gives away big free agency money. It proves he is human. Thomas never played up to his contract which at the time looked like a fairly good deal for the type of player he should have been.

#6 Chad Jackson - WR - Perhaps the most painful in some respect of all the disappointments. This guy had no question marks really He checked all the boxes. Had the numbers, had the tape, wow'd at the combine and rarely dropped a pass thrown his way. His route running was iffy could was projected to be easily improvable. He seemed to have all the will in the world to do it. Nope. Didn't happen. Brady's go to guy for the next 10 years and a unanimous steal at 36 from all the draft guru's fell through.

#7 Ron Brace - DT - Pick 40 and the forgotten bust by a lot of people. He stuck on the team for a bit but was little more than a run stuffer and felt like just another big body JAG you pick up in round 5 or 6 to fill one specific role and round out your roster. We saw a few flashes but it never really came to be.

#8 Leigh Bodden - CB - FA 4 year 22Million dollar deal - This is kind of an odd player to put here as he had 1 pretty darn good year but like Meriwether and his one promising year he soon fell off and seemed to be injured or ineffective. One of the bigger contracts BB has had to swallow and the last 3 years very much fail to make the first one worth it.

#9 Jonathan Fanene - DT - FA 3 year 9.9Million dollar deal - One of the more forgotten years here in 2012 but Fanene was suppose to be a big part of the plan for the year and was one of the more depression cold streak FA pick ups from that era. The made who was suppose to run next to Wilfork for his final years but one undisclosed injury and court case later this was a headache that was very unfortunate.

#10 Chad Johnson - WR - Ocho oh no! On a 3 year 6M dollar deal this was not nearly the most costly deal I could name even when you include the trade to get him cost a 5th and a 6th round pick. However what stings here is how this was one of BB's guys. A player not unlike Baltimore's Ed Reed BB admired from a-far for years. However he was a bit to old and a bit too bad of a fit in our system and the loved blinded BB could not resist and we were all so excited for... Well not Moss 2.0... but 1/2 Moss. BB was so sure it would work and that made us all so sure and that made it hurt more when it didn't. He tried to get it too and it just didn't work.

HM - Aaron Hernandez - I think worth a mention. Though the draft capital was not much and the return rather good for some years this was a very costly pick for the organization sadly. However he is not in the true spirit of this list but has to be mentioned.

Any thoughts or rage to share?

Sometimes when i am too happy I watch videos of clowns crying. You know.. Just to teach myself a lesson about trying to be happy.
I don't believe that. I think you come here instead and make detailed posts about failed players everyone else wants to forget about. You ought to follow it up with Top 10 worst performances. Oh, here's an idea: how about a detailed listing of Top 10 worst assistant coaches?

I don't believe that. I think you come here instead and make detailed posts about failed players everyone else wants to forget about. You ought to follow it up with Top 10 worst performances. Oh, here's an idea: how about a detailed listing of Top 10 worst assistant coaches?

You know i have made many positive list too btw :)

You know i have made many positive list too btw :)
That would be a lot more fun. Maybe you should delete this thread and start over.

That would be a lot more fun. Maybe you should delete this thread and start over.

You know this team has won 4 championships since BB got here. In that light we have been very lucky and many teams have much worst list. I really struggled filling it out cause there are not really 10 guys who deserve to be on this. Maybe only 7 or so really feel worthy IMO of such a list. In that light it is not so bad. Many teams would have issues feeling they left a few big names off over that span of time.

Where's
56603862_display_image.jpg

So basically this is a list of mostly bad draft picks (which don't kill the cap) and proving that BB rarely makes mistakes in FA when the money counts.

Pretty much sums up why BB is the best GM in the game in addition to being the best HC.

Good list tho, some definitely forgotten names on it like Fanene (did he ever play a game for us?).

Edit: Could someone compare the cap damage done by Easley vs Fanene? Both were kinda failures to disclose injuries in a sense, hurting the team, obviously Easley couldn't be cut in year 1 for the dog bite injuries but it severely limited his preparation for his debut with the team.

Be nice to know the % of the cap they ate up in respective seasons for not disclosing injuries to the team. That can't really fall on BB.

The Ras-i-Dowling pick was painful for me. Pats had the luxury of the first pick on the second day, and really whiffed bigtime on it. They had an entire night to reassess the board and came up with this howler. Bigtime miss, imo.

#5 Adalius Thomas - LB - FA 5 year 35Million dollar deal - And the first non-draft pick makes the list. What a costly blunder of a FA deal this was. I completely understand why BB did it and he rarely misses so big when he gives away big free agency money. It proves he is human. Thomas never played up to his contract which at the time looked like a fairly good deal for the type of player he should have been.
Blunder is taking it too far, as is putting Thomas at #5. Yeah, he did not live up to that big deal and yeah, his tenure here flamed out quite ugly, but he was a good player for two years.

Is the glass half empty or half full???.. 31 others teams in the league would like to have made the "mistakes" this franchise has made..

These posts are always amusing, imagine what it would look like for fans on the shores of Lake Erie or even Philadephia...

Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson were the 2 that stick out for me. That was one of the happiest drafts for me ever, turned out to be one of the worst. Only Gostkowski saved that draft.

I have not given any thought to a list, nor do I think some of the names on this list can be categorized as "disappointments" when they should not have been drafted in the first place (LOL). But going only with the names on the OP's list, Adalius Thomas and Leigh Bodden jump out at me for different reasons. I thought we were pretty much getting a Jamie Collins (before Collins of course) in AD. He was a jack-of-all-trades type talent that only flashed in 2007. He fizzled quickly. He tried to blame Bill's scheme which, let's be honest, frustrated a lot of us for a few years. But BB just didn't have the horses to run a different scheme overall. I just think he physical gifts just disappeared on him.

Bodden was different. I was saying for about two seasons prior to signing him that we should sign him if he were ever available. He had a decent first season, recording five INT's (three in one game). He wasn't anything spectacular, but he was better than anything we had at the time and he played well enough that I liked him on the team. He, too, fizzled quickly. His decline was injury-related and he was out of the league shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
Since we are including FA

what about haynesworthless and donald hayes?

here are some names to consider
Bill Belichick's Top 15 Worst Transactions
This list made me laugh because I guess I successfully blocked out some of these people . . . like Brace (LOL). I remember Brady going on a tirade after Galloway dropped his second or third pass in one game . . . can't remember who they were playing . . . and how Galloway looked completely defeated. Ocho . . . 15 catches in an NFL season? Wow. This was a good list to post.

Bottom line is you could probably make a list for every team in every sport just like this one. Nobody can argue that BB has made some great moves and drafts. You're not going to hit on every player, even if you're considered a genius by peers and fans alike. It's not an exact science. And even with the "busts" or "disappointments" we're in the AFCCG almost every year and, pains me somewhat to say, should be 6-0 in SB's.

Last edited:
The Ras-i-Dowling pick was painful for me. Pats had the luxury of the first pick on the second day, and really whiffed bigtime on it. They had an entire night to reassess the board and came up with this howler. Bigtime miss, imo.

The strategy is to grab top 10 talent that's been injured and hope for the best. It has been core to the last decade of success for the team. If there are 2 Dowlings to get us a Gronk, that's a huge success. In Dowling's case, at least he is a stand up guy who tried his azz off to make it work, and in fact is still in the league because of that effort.

The failures that make me crazy are the ones where the player just doesn't seem to try (although that's hard to tell for sure as a fan). I hate it when these guys take their incredible good fortune for granted. So my top failures list is going to be focused on those that were healthy and just didn't show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back