Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
ESPN Prepared To Make Tony Romo Highest-Paid Sportscaster In History

• [*]The multi-year deal could pay Tony Romo between $10 million-$14 million annually, said sources.
    [*]Romo could take over as analyst on Monday Night Football, or possibly another NFL TV package.
    If signed by ESPN, Romo could succeed Booger McFarland as the analyst on “Monday Night Football,” said sources. Romo could also potentially quarterback ESPN’s NFL game coverage if parent Disney acquires a Sunday afternoon game package from rival Fox Sports, CBS Sports, and NBC Sports during the next round of NFL TV negotiations in 2020-2021.

Replace Booger and keep Tess?

Woof.

Why would Romo leave Nantz, though?

I like Romo and Nantz ...
I know some find him annoying but I generally like him and that team.
If he is using ESPN for leverage ... that is a hell of a power move.

You must have missed the part where it says they may offer him between $10 million-$14 million annually.

H may give CBS a "hometown discount" but if they're not in that neighborhood, he could very likely jump ship.

Would be a step down for Romo, those Monday night games are usually bad slates.

Tessitore is horrible too and I doubt Romo would look as good with him as he does with Nantz.

You can find another Nantz. Romo is the draw. You can't pass up 10-14m a year. That's insane money for very little work. Could easily be pulling in 20m a year with other endorsements.

"The multi-year deal could pay Tony Romo between $10 million-$14 million annually, said sources".

You can find another Nantz. Romo is the draw. You can't pass up 10-14m a year. That's insane money for very little work. Could easily be pulling in 20m a year with other endorsements.

"The multi-year deal could pay Tony Romo between $10 million-$14 million annually, said sources".
Ehhhh I’m not so sure about that. Nantz has been the perfect play-by-play guy to team with Romo because he’s always sat back and let Romo roll without interrupting him or sounding stupid in return. He helped Romo grow in the role a lot. If the money is similar, Romo would be insane to leave CBS and Nantz for the badly managed train wreck that is ESPN and MNF.

I'm not sure it's a step down when it's essentially the same job with a huge pay raise and more viewers on average. Don't forget, CBS doesn't have a double header in 8 of 17 weeks and on any week where they don't have the double header, Romo probably doesn't even reach half the country. (Even when they do have the double header, the #1 game usually isn't broadcast nationwide). MNF is a national telecast week in and week out.

Tessitore is horrible too and I doubt Romo would look as good with him as he does with Nantz.
Romo gets to call conference title games and a Super Bowl once every three years at CBS.

At ESPN he gets nothing but the annual Houston Texans invitational.

Nantz and Romo are long time friends, and the two of them work well together.

Has Booger officially been fired?

If he hasn’t, he needs to be. I don’t know who he blackmailed to get that job, but he’s the worst.

Leave em both where they are. Replace Tess with Harlan. Booger is good for the laughs and Harlan is the best in the biz and can keep him relatively afloat . It’s absurd Harlan is on the radio while Tess (who is a decent commentator) is on tv.

Romo isnt turning down 14 mil a year so CBS gonna have to pay if they wanna keep him.

Not that I've heard. But, if he's been fired, he's not going to be working there.*

Hat tip: Booger McFarland

The only network close to CBS in terms of NFL production quality (in my highly subjective opinion) is NBC, so I don't know why he would want to downgrade outside of the obvious money factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes