PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Romo & CBS - $17 million / year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think the amount of people that tune in specifically for Romo is worth 17 million? That's your answer. Let's be real if the game is good we would watch regardless, if it's not we wont

The number seems jarring. On the other hand, your viewpoint implies a large network is handing out a $17M contract while mis-projecting or ignoring the profit equation. I can’t imagine a publicly traded company would waste money like that.

No, just telling the obvious truth.
I remember watching MNF with my dad and mutually agreeing to turn the sound off because of Cosell's consistently irrelevant irritating blather. Understanding that Cosell knew nothing about football and was a self-styled "provocateur" who viewed the very game itself plus everyone around it with thinly veiled disdain, I remain curious: in your opinion what did he bring to telecasts making him superior to Tony Romo? You must simply have found him more "entertaining" because he hadn't a clue what was happening on the field.

Last edited:
Do you really think the amount of people that tune in specifically for Romo is worth 17 million? That's your answer. Let's be real if the game is good we would watch regardless, if it's not we wont

In the interest of being real, let's concede we are not the ones paying him. Now the me part of we is willing to concede the people that are thought long and hard and weighed factors that that I haven't even given so much as a cursory thought to, it being it's their sorry azzes on the line for the decision and all. Of course YMMV and I'm willing to entertain the thought you may be enough of an expert on the subject so as to shame their combined decision making abilities, I'm just not willing to take it on faith.

The number seems jarring. On the other hand, your viewpoint implies a large network is handing out a $17M contract while mis-projecting or ignoring the profit equation. I can’t imagine a publicly traded company would waste money like that.
Way too many people on this board have this idea that giant corporations always make smart decisions with money. No sometimes you are just a tentpole brand and have succeeded for so long that it takes gross negligence to really screw up.

Often times these things are more political than metrically driven. CBS will make money regardless of Romo being there or not. CBS would survive if they lost their NFL deal. Hell Romo's first year was a year people were freaking out about ratings going down if people recall.

Publicly traded companies waste money all the times. I've seen it first hand. I've worked for a company that makes more annual revenue than CBS and watched them buy stupid **** for millions of dollars because they thought they could ride a market wave, only for that wave to be a whimper and then have to spin it off. CEO's and board chairs are still people and ultimately they are going to go with a feeling.

A 6 page thread on an announcer...the slow time of the year

Let's be real, we are not the ones paying him. Now the me part of we is willing to concede the people that are thought long and hard and weighed factors that that I haven't even given so much as a cursory thought to, it being it's their sorry azzes on the line for the decision and all. Of course YMMV and I'm willing to entertain the thought you may be enough of an expert on the subject so as to shame their combined decision making abilities, I'm just not willing to take it on faith.
Romo's first year as a broadcaster ratings went down across the board for the NFL. I somehow don't find it reasonable to say that this year it going up was something tied to him when he had more hype last year.

That said it's likely more of a branding thing for them and an extra catalyst for their NFL negotiations and more importantly to play keep away from a competitor like ESPN

17 million for romo? sounds like a lot but really, CBS pays approxmately 5 billion a year to the NFL... put in perspective, the 17 million is a minor drop in the bucket...

Is he worth 17 million? he is good, and pairs really well with Jim "Burnt Toast" Nantz ... ESPN was willing to pay him to take over the MNF booth, so keeping him away from the competition is a good thing ...

and, really, he gets talked about a lot... in a good way... that kind of free advertising, touting how good the Romo/CBS productions are, makes it well worth it...

more power to him... makin' a boat load of cash for talking about football? aint nothing wrong with that any day of the week...

Last edited:
That's wrong on so many levels.

One such level is $17m for an NFL tv analyst.

What makes you say he doesn't add that much value. Lots of TV broadcasters/anchors get paid that amount. And ofcourse talk show hosts get paid multiples more. And actors of the top hits get paid multiples more still. Lots are at 2-3m per episode for a 24 episode season for 70m per year. Romo's salary is nothing crazy in TV land. Just because an NFL analyst didn't get further than this before doesn't mean it's crazy.

Will Brady get $20m per year as TV analyst? Would Giselle approve he did that rather than take Patriots' limp $25m per year offer?

Has Romo botched a snap as an analyst?

It ain't my money so I don't care how much they pay him..... I just don't see terribly many people choosing whether or not to watch the NFL based on whom the announcers are.

Are these made up quotes or did he actually say this stuff? proof?
I think they are exaggerations of what he says during telecasts.

Why can’t you imagine that? Companies - even publicly traded ones - make bad decisions all the time.

Romo is the best to ever do it, but does he swing ratings that drastically for the premier CBS game?

I’d have thought ESPN would be more desperate to have him.
I'm so glad the ABC/Disney/ESPN machine didn't get ahold of him. They are just loaded with middle management mucky mucks that would want to change everything about how he does the game.
If he brings in the casual fan whose not there to only watch their team it's worth it.
There's so much competition out there for viewers of all types of media.
Back in the old days of MNF the broadcast team was as good a show as the game.
The great thing is Romo's appeal is that he explains the game as it is played and doesn't try to make it more than it is (unlike Tessitore(sp?)) but does get excited when it's played well and doesn't dumb things down for the fans.

This is something the ESPN dandies would never understand. They'd pay the $17M+ and say "Tony, now that we paid so much for you, let us tell you how to announce the game. You see, the fans are idiots so you need to get excited about every play so they engage, yada yada".

Wow, I guess now Tom is really embarrassed.

I bet he was very popular in focus groups with women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back