PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady vs LeBron James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who thinks Lebron is better than Jordan, let alone Lebron himself is absolutely full of it

Anyone who thinks that Lebron or Jordan is better than Bill Russell isn't old enough to make a judgement on who's the greatest player of this century
I think I have a different perspective on things. I’d call him and Jordan roughly a wash. but a slight edge to Jordan. I have Russell and Abdul-Jabar over both of them, and I’m not 100% convinced LeBron > Magic. I know most people don’t agree.

Jordan only won during a certain span of his career where he had Pippen, a great supporting cast (55 game winners the season he missed) and Phil Jackson coaching. He achieved greatness, but it was basically just the same thing on repeat 6 times. His championships spanned just 8 years. At his peak, maybe Jordan is the best ever, but he decided to retire twice thinking he had “nothing left to prove” which I thought was pretty misguided. While he was an incredibly dominant player (and equal well marketed), he never overcame adversity like dragging s garbage team to the Finals...he is kind the ultimate front runner who never won without having a cakewalk. Also, he never had to face a super team in the Finals, so the 6-0 thing isn’t without context. And this is with all due respect to some very good (but not historic) teams like the aging 90 Lakers, Suns, Jazz, Sonics, etc. But maybe if he’d decided to play longer he would have faced the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. We’ll never know. He came into the league and couldn’t beat dynastic teams like the Celtics and Pistons, avoided the mid-90s Rockets, and bowed out before the Lakers emerged (would have been really juicy to see him face a Phil Jackson team.). He left as Jackson and Pippen were potentially departing though he was still in his prime. To me, that’s a giant red mark that he was afraid to potentially fail with new teammates or a new team, etc. He did have more to prove.

James is probably as good as Jordan, but he’s won three titles. Hard to be the GOAT of your sport when it’s largely measured my championships and you don’t even have the most of your era (Kobe 5, Duncan 5, Shaq 4). But part of this is a reflection of free agency and the salary cap, as well as often dragging terrible teams all the way to the Finals, so you can’t really knock his ability to win, and he’s won in so many types of supporting casts, cities, etc. However, bottom line is he’s had full control over his career and largely made the personnel decisions for his teams. 3 titles in, what, 16 years? That just isn’t a GOAT resume even if he’s shown the incredible adaptability that Jordan did not.

Russell won two NCAA titles before going to the Celtics and winning basically every year, 11 championships in 13 seasons (and I think he was injured in one of those losses.). He is a 5x MVP. Only knock is it was pre-expansion, but there’s virtually no way to surpass his domination. He was as complete a player as there was, incredibly clutch, and in some ways can’t be surpassed. He’s the pre-expansion GOAT (just like I have Brady the post-expansion GOAT and Graham the pre-expansion GOAT because the eras are just too different to compare.). 11 championships, 13 year championship window. Many teammates changing and super teams emerging. My father in-law is in his 70s and was a huge Lakers fan his whole life; told me the idea that Jordan > Russell is total BS and that if you actually were around for Russell, you’d realize what silly recency/marketing hype goes into that.

Abdul-Jabar is another guy who won in college too, with 3 straight titles coming into the NBA. Won 1 with the Bucks and then 5 with the Lakers. 6x MVP. His championship span lasted 18 seasons! And this was as the NBA transformed post-expansion. No one has been as consistently dominant for such a long period of time as Kareem. Many teammates, coaches, systems, different eras of basketball, and always playing at all-time great level.

Basically, I value longevity and playing through different eras and different competition, while maintaining greatness. Adjusting, overcoming, adapting, those are elements required to be the GOAT. That’s why Muhammad Ali is the GOAT, Tom Brady is the GOAT, and Babe Ruth is the GOAT.

1. Bill Russell (pre-expansion GOAT)
1. Kareem Abdul Jabar (post-expansion GOAT)
3. Michael Jordan
4/5. LeBron James/Magic Johnson (tie for now)

The pre-expansion NBA had more concentrated talent on each team. That's why you didn't see any of the gawdy won/lost records that we've seen so many times since.

Russell also doubled as the HC for the end of his career and in his last season beat a Lakers team at LA in game 7 of the finals with Elgin Baylor, Wilt and Jerry West in the starting five.

Any discussion of GOAT NBA players that doesn't start and end with Bill Russel makes me nauseous.

Bill Russell is the GOAT and it’s pretty clear. He’s so far and away the greatest defender ever it’s crazy. The Celtics defensive ratings with him compared to everyone else was insane. I remember reading the difference between him and the number 2 center all time (think it was Mutumbo or Hakeem) was the difference between like 2 and 20.

I don't hate LeBron as much as most but I did laugh at that comment lol. MJ is the GOAT in my eyes, and most people's eyes.

Jordan is a top 5-10 all-time defender. I cringe when this argument comes up. Jordan could ruin your night on both ends.
Man do I miss on the ball D! Pippen, Stockton, Jordan, Stacy, Gary...
Pip was probably the best defender I ever saw. I remember him guarding the whole Knicks team at point. Locking down the ball, giving up space to Ewing so he could play the ball bc he's not winning a battle like that.
I still watch bball but it's a different game & not for the better imo.

I still get startled when I see a player pass up a chance for a layup by throwing the ball out to a big guy for a 3 that clangs off the rim or misses the rim entirely.

I also get annoyed when every foul shot by every player is followed with handshakes from his teammates, even when it's a miss.

If you liked Pip's defense you should have seen Russell's. He had an incredible knack for blocking shots and didn't fall for fakes. His explanation for that was that he never went for a block until the ball left the shooter's hand. It sounds simple but takes some serious quickness to pull off.

Anyway, I'll leave you youngins alone now and let you all determine who's second best.

Just throwing this out there: Bill Russell was a back to back champion as a player-coach which is just insanity.

At age 34 he was the defensive win shares leader as a player, and the head coach, and averaged over 19 rebounds a game.

Just throwing this out there: Bill Russell was a back to back champion as a player-coach which is just insanity.

At age 34 he was the defensive win shares leader as a player, and the head coach, and averaged over 19 rebounds a game.
His last game ever he beat Wilt, Baylor, and West in a game 7 ON THE ROAD

Also the people who say Russell was only good because of his teams - the Celtics went 34-48 the year after he retired

That being said, LeBron, as a person off the court, is probably far more likeable and also has been an ambassador for his culture in profound ways.

LeBron >>>>>> Jordan as a person. Jordan is without question the GOAT of total assh0les. Miserable, greedy, stingy...just the whole package of jackassery. Unfortunately I think his example has largely paved the way for modern NBA superstar with their hundred million dollar brands and general power drink existences. This is why I rooted for the pre-Durant Warriors when not playing the Celtics. Team over individuals.

Last edited:
This is going to offend some people, but here it goes.

I do think that Brady is a modest and humble guy. But sometimes he's so over the top with his humility that it just comes off as him trying to be charming, or lip service.

I mean, he partnered with Purple Carrot, and their tagline for the line of Brady-inspired products is literally "eat like a GOAT". If it really bothered him that much, he easily has the clout to say, "look, I'll partner with you guys, but to switch that tagline -- it bothers me".

Then you have the TBTimes cartoons. I do think those are funny, they don't bother me in the least, but posting bravado cartoons after victories is a little indulgent, hardly a quality of The Most Humble Man Alive.

Bring on the "Disagrees" and the mental gymnastics as to why none of this matters. I know Tom is a legend so we have to go to every length possible to defend every single thing he does. I still love Brady in spite of all of this. Let me be clear: none of this bothers me in the least, I just don't think it's particularly humble.

Bring on the "Disagrees" and the mental gymnastics as to why none of this matters.

(Looks at trophy case)

None of this matters.

Didn't exactly need to be Simone Biles to pull that off.

Nobody in sports is really perfectly humble, because it takes a lot of self-belief to achieve anything at that level. This is one of those things where you aren't even wrong, but it's such petty nitpicking that I just struggle to see how you can care enough to whine about it.

Crazy West went 1/8 in finals.

3imw2h.jpg

Anyone who thinks that Lebron or Jordan is better than Bill Russell isn't old enough to make a judgement on who's the greatest player of this century

The pre-expansion NBA had more concentrated talent on each team. That's why you didn't see any of the gawdy won/lost records that we've seen so many times since.

Russell also doubled as the HC for the end of his career and in his last season beat a Lakers team at LA in game 7 of the finals with Elgin Baylor, Wilt and Jerry West in the starting five.

Any discussion of GOAT NBA players that doesn't start and end with Bill Russel makes me nauseous.
I still get startled when I see a player pass up a chance for a layup by throwing the ball out to a big guy for a 3 that clangs off the rim or misses the rim entirely.

I also get annoyed when every foul shot by every player is followed with handshakes from his teammates, even when it's a miss.

If you liked Pip's defense you should have seen Russell's. He had an incredible knack for blocking shots and didn't fall for fakes. His explanation for that was that he never went for a block until the ball left the shooter's hand. It sounds simple but takes some serious quickness to pull off.

Anyway, I'll leave you youngins alone now and let you all determine who's second best.
You should check out the NFL 100 list that's happening now I bet you'd love it.

Also the people who say Russell was only good because of his teams - the Celtics went 34-48 the year after he retired

That's true in college and the NBA. In Russel's Jr and Sr years SFU went 57-1 and won back to back titles. They hadn't won before and haven't since Russell. In those two years he averaged 20+ in both points and rebounds and was far and away the team leader in each.

Then he went to the Olympics and won a Gold but could have gone as a high-jumper instead.

When he got to the Celtics they had never won a title and didn't win another until 5 years after he left. In his 13 years as a player and a coach he led them to 11 tiles. In one of the losing playoffs he was injured.

Last edited:
You should check out the NFL 100 list that's happening now I bet you'd love it.

I've never been a big fan of any of those type of lists or HOF votes. Plus, my NYFL fandom is winding down. Did they include many of the old timers?

(Looks at trophy case)

None of this matters.

Didn't exactly need to be Simone Biles to pull that off.

Nobody in sports is really perfectly humble, because it takes a lot of self-belief to achieve anything at that level. This is one of those things where you aren't even wrong, but it's such petty nitpicking that I just struggle to see how you can care enough to whine about it.
Nitpicking is quote-mining a LeBron "I'm the GOAT" clip to summarize/disparage LeBron in an effort to prop up Brady.

Users on this board are like pet dogs that get jealous when another dog gets attention. Why do we always have to make everything a competition? What is with the constant insecurity of recognizing and appreciating other great players? Midway through writing the name "Aaron Rodgers" someone will jump down your throat and ask why you're not talking about Brady instead.

LeBron is a tremendous ambassador to basketball, just like Brady is to football. Let's just appreciate them all instead finding sanctimonious ways to diminish anyone who isn't Brady.

Nitpicking is quote-mining a LeBron "I'm the GOAT" clip to summarize/disparage LeBron in an effort to prop up Brady.

Users on this board are like pet dogs that get jealous when another dog gets attention. Why do we always have to make everything a competition? What is with the constant insecurity of recognizing and appreciating other great players? Midway through writing the name "Aaron Rodgers" someone will jump down your throat and ask why you're not talking about Brady instead.

LeBron is a tremendous ambassador to basketball, just like Brady is to football. Let's just appreciate them all instead finding sanctimonious ways to diminish anyone who isn't Brady.
People get so angry because Brady, who is so far and away the GOAT at quarterback, still gets disrespected so much. It gets tiring hearing idiots saying Montana, Manning, Brees, Rodgers are the GOAT. It’s just constant disrespect to Brady

People get so angry because Brady, who is so far and away the GOAT at quarterback, still gets disrespected so much. It gets tiring hearing idiots saying Montana, Manning, Brees, Rodgers are the GOAT. It’s just constant disrespect to Brady

No one says that anymore. I’d say the consensus of Brady = GOAT is as unanimous as possible in pro sports. There are still some yo-yos who will spout off about Aaron Rodgers (and I’m sure they’ll switch to Patrick Mahomes soon enough) as they have no appreciation for football history and the context of the eras QBs played in, so they have a dumb evaluation that today’s “most gifted and best statistical” QB is the best ever. Other than that, it’s basically a universal agreement that Brady is #1. You’d be hard pressed to Google greatest QBs ever and find a single semi-recent list that doesn’t have him ranked #1.

No one says that anymore. I’d say the consensus of Brady = GOAT is as unanimous as possible in pro sports. There are still some yo-yos who will spout off about Aaron Rodgers (and I’m sure they’ll switch to Patrick Mahomes soon enough) as they have no appreciation for football history and the context of the eras QBs played in, so they have a dumb evaluation that today’s “most gifted and best statistical” QB is the best ever. Other than that, it’s basically a universal agreement that Brady is #1. You’d be hard pressed to Google greatest QBs ever and find a single semi-recent list that doesn’t have him ranked #1.
I think it’s because I live in the south and have to hear this stuff

Anyone who thinks Lebron is better than Jordan, let alone Lebron himself is absolutely full of it

I respect LeBron for his consistent greatness for such a long time but I would take not only Jordan but also Kobe over LeBron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore