PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady vs LeBron James

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBR

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
There’s a reason why one of them makes his teammates better and the other makes his teammates leave.

What was the LeBron clip from? That seems very conspicuously out of context.

Those two players have a high level of respect for each other.

I know a lot of people hate LeBron (probably especially on this board) but I can’t say too much bad about him. He’s donated millions of dollars to send entire schools full of poor kids to college.

It's not out of context at all. He's claiming that beating the Warriors in 2016 made him the greatest of all time. More of that video here: LeBron says Cavs' title 'made me the greatest'

Never saw that before, I agree that no context is needed.

Also, it’s ridiculous to think that winning one title, regardless of the opponent, makes someone the GOAT, and it’s definitely an interesting comparison between how LeBron reacts vs Brady.

One reason that Brady feels that way, I think, is that he was never given anything in his career. Look how he had to battle for playing time at Michigan, and even after he proved himself there he was still the 199th pick and the fourth QB on the team briefly. That experience gives one perspective and humility.

Compare that to LeBron who was on the cover of SI as a teenager, a slam dunk #1 pick, and always the best at everything probably starting from age 12. He rarely had to endure any humbling episodes his whole career and even when he did, he could make excuses for it (some warranted, some not).

There is a larger story to be told for both of those players. Like I said, I still like LeBron, but agree the clip is an interesting comparison between the two greatest American athletes of this century.

Anyone who thinks Lebron is better than Jordan, let alone Lebron himself is absolutely full of it

Anyone who thinks Lebron is better than Jordan, let alone Lebron himself is absolutely full of it

I think I have a different perspective on things. I’d call him and Jordan roughly a wash. but a slight edge to Jordan. I have Russell and Abdul-Jabar over both of them, and I’m not 100% convinced LeBron > Magic. I know most people don’t agree.

Jordan only won during a certain span of his career where he had Pippen, a great supporting cast (55 game winners the season he missed) and Phil Jackson coaching. He achieved greatness, but it was basically just the same thing on repeat 6 times. His championships spanned just 8 years. At his peak, maybe Jordan is the best ever, but he decided to retire twice thinking he had “nothing left to prove” which I thought was pretty misguided. While he was an incredibly dominant player (and equal well marketed), he never overcame adversity like dragging s garbage team to the Finals...he is kind the ultimate front runner who never won without having a cakewalk. Also, he never had to face a super team in the Finals, so the 6-0 thing isn’t without context. And this is with all due respect to some very good (but not historic) teams like the aging 90 Lakers, Suns, Jazz, Sonics, etc. But maybe if he’d decided to play longer he would have faced the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. We’ll never know. He came into the league and couldn’t beat dynastic teams like the Celtics and Pistons, avoided the mid-90s Rockets, and bowed out before the Lakers emerged (would have been really juicy to see him face a Phil Jackson team.). He left as Jackson and Pippen were potentially departing though he was still in his prime. To me, that’s a giant red mark that he was afraid to potentially fail with new teammates or a new team, etc. He did have more to prove.

James is probably as good as Jordan, but he’s won three titles. Hard to be the GOAT of your sport when it’s largely measured my championships and you don’t even have the most of your era (Kobe 5, Duncan 5, Shaq 4). But part of this is a reflection of free agency and the salary cap, as well as often dragging terrible teams all the way to the Finals, so you can’t really knock his ability to win, and he’s won in so many types of supporting casts, cities, etc. However, bottom line is he’s had full control over his career and largely made the personnel decisions for his teams. 3 titles in, what, 16 years? That just isn’t a GOAT resume even if he’s shown the incredible adaptability that Jordan did not.

Russell won two NCAA titles before going to the Celtics and winning basically every year, 11 championships in 13 seasons (and I think he was injured in one of those losses.). He is a 5x MVP. Only knock is it was pre-expansion, but there’s virtually no way to surpass his domination. He was as complete a player as there was, incredibly clutch, and in some ways can’t be surpassed. He’s the pre-expansion GOAT (just like I have Brady the post-expansion GOAT and Graham the pre-expansion GOAT because the eras are just too different to compare.). 11 championships, 13 year championship window. Many teammates changing and super teams emerging. My father in-law is in his 70s and was a huge Lakers fan his whole life; told me the idea that Jordan > Russell is total BS and that if you actually were around for Russell, you’d realize what silly recency/marketing hype goes into that.

Abdul-Jabar is another guy who won in college too, with 3 straight titles coming into the NBA. Won 1 with the Bucks and then 5 with the Lakers. 6x MVP. His championship span lasted 18 seasons! And this was as the NBA transformed post-expansion. No one has been as consistently dominant for such a long period of time as Kareem. Many teammates, coaches, systems, different eras of basketball, and always playing at all-time great level.

Basically, I value longevity and playing through different eras and different competition, while maintaining greatness. Adjusting, overcoming, adapting, those are elements required to be the GOAT. That’s why Muhammad Ali is the GOAT, Tom Brady is the GOAT, and Babe Ruth is the GOAT.

1. Bill Russell (pre-expansion GOAT)
1. Kareem Abdul Jabar (post-expansion GOAT)
3. Michael Jordan
4/5. LeBron James/Magic Johnson (tie for now)

Last edited:
Has there ever been more heaven and earth moved to get a guy 3 titles (in 15 years)?

Abdul-Jabar is another guy who won in college too, with 3 straight titles coming into the NBA. Won 1 with the Bucks and then 5 with the Lakers. 6x MVP. His championship span lasted 18 seasons! And this was as the NBA transformed post-expansion. No one has been as consistently dominant for such a long period of time as Kareem. Many teammates, coaches, systems, different eras of basketball, and always playing at all-time great level.

Interesting aside when I grew up in Newport, RI there used to be an annual tournament every year called the ESCIT (Eastern States Catholic Invitational Tournament) which will bring in the best Catholic Basketball teams from the east coast; DeMatha from Baltimore, Power Memorial from NYC, Catholic Memorial from Bos. and a bunch of others.

The Tournament was held at a local high school, Rogers High School, which probably had a capacity of <3K, so it was easy to watch the game.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was then known as Lew Alcindor, and played in NYC for Power Memorial and that team was a regular invitee. Had the privilege of attending all those ESCIT tournaments as I attended a local Catholic HS, De La Salle.. he was on a team that won something like 71 HS games in a row... that streak was broken when they played DeMatha in a much ballyhooed HS Basketball game where Jabbar was held below his season average of 30 points.

Point is that he was always great, and literally head and shoulders above everyone else starting in HS.. the torched was literally passed from Russell to Alcindor in 1969. Lew Alcindor did not change his name until 1971... his "dominance" began in High School.

Sorry for the history lesson, but cannot resist sharing those great times..

It’s like the difference between a supremely talented child star and someone who made it big as an adult.

James is an amazing talent. But I agree with the original premise : he loves him some him. I think it stems from being the chosen one since he’s a boy.

I think I have a different perspective on things. I’d call him and Jordan roughly a wash. but a slight edge to Jordan. I have Russell and Abdul-Jabar over both of them, and I’m not 100% convinced LeBron > Magic. I know most people don’t agree.

Jordan only won during a certain span of his career where he had Pippen, a great supporting cast (55 game winners the season he missed) and Phil Jackson coaching. He achieved greatness, but it was basically just the same thing on repeat 6 times. His championships spanned just 8 years. At his peak, maybe Jordan is the best ever, but he decided to retire twice thinking he had “nothing left to prove” which I thought was pretty misguided. While he was an incredibly dominant player (and equal well marketed), he never overcame adversity like dragging s garbage team to the Finals...he is kind the ultimate front runner who never won without having a cakewalk. Also, he never had to face a super team in the Finals, so the 6-0 thing isn’t without context. And this is with all due respect to some very good (but not historic) teams like the aging 90 Lakers, Suns, Jazz, Sonics, etc. But maybe if he’d decided to play longer he would have faced the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. We’ll never know. He came into the league and couldn’t beat dynastic teams like the Celtics and Pistons, avoided the mid-90s Rockets, and bowed out before the Lakers emerged (would have been really juicy to see him face a Phil Jackson team.). He left as Jackson and Pippen were potentially departing though he was still in his prime. To me, that’s a giant red mark that he was afraid to potentially fail with new teammates or a new team, etc. He did have more to prove.

James is probably as good as Jordan, but he’s won three titles. Hard to be the GOAT of your sport when it’s largely measured my championships and you don’t even have the most of your era (Kobe 5, Duncan 5, Shaq 4). But part of this is a reflection of free agency and the salary cap, as well as often dragging terrible teams all the way to the Finals, so you can’t really knock his ability to win, and he’s won in so many types of supporting casts, cities, etc. However, bottom line is he’s had full control over his career and largely made the personnel decisions for his teams. 3 titles in, what, 16 years? That just isn’t a GOAT resume even if he’s shown the incredible adaptability that Jordan did not.

Russell won two NCAA titles before going to the Celtics and winning basically every year, 11 championships in 13 seasons (and I think he was injured in one of those losses.). He is a 5x MVP. Only knock is it was pre-expansion, but there’s virtually no way to surpass his domination. He was as complete a player as there was, incredibly clutch, and in some ways can’t be surpassed. He’s the pre-expansion GOAT (just like I have Brady the post-expansion GOAT and Graham the pre-expansion GOAT because the eras are just too different to compare.). 11 championships, 13 year championship window. Many teammates changing and super teams emerging. My father in-law is in his 70s and was a huge Lakers fan his whole life; told me the idea that Jordan > Russell is total BS and that if you actually were around for Russell, you’d realize what silly recency/marketing hype goes into that.

Basically, I value longevity and playing through different eras and different competition, while maintaining greatness. Adjusting, overcoming, adapting, those are elements required to be the GOAT. That’s why Muhammad Ali is the GOAT, Tom Brady is the GOAT, and Babe Ruth is the GOAT.

1. Bill Russell (pre-expansion GOAT)
1. Kareem Abdul Jabar (post-expansion GOAT)
3. Michael Jordan
4/5. LeBron James/Magic Johnson (tie for now)
You forgot someone.

Hes a better player than Magic ,has as many titles as LeBron w comparable stats over 36min and made his teammates better.

You'll never see Brady flop. End of discussion.

I suppose Tom is better football player and LBJ is more familliar with basketball.

You forgot someone.

Hes a better player than Magic ,has as many titles as LeBron w comparable stats over 36min and made his teammates better.

Bird is probably next on the list.

If you have to explain to people what makes you the greatest player of all time, then you’re not the greatest player of all time.

Jordan is a top 5-10 all-time defender. I cringe when this argument comes up. Jordan could ruin your night on both ends.
Man do I miss on the ball D! Pippen, Stockton, Jordan, Stacy, Gary...
Pip was probably the best defender I ever saw. I remember him guarding the whole Knicks team at point. Locking down the ball, giving up space to Ewing so he could play the ball bc he's not winning a battle like that.
I still watch bball but it's a different game & not for the better imo.

Jordan is a top 5-10 all-time defender. I cringe when this argument comes up. Jordan could ruin your night on both ends.
Man do I miss on the ball D! Pippen, Stockton, Jordan, Stacy, Gary...
Pip was probably the best defender I ever saw. I remember him guarding the whole Knicks team at point. Locking down the ball, giving up space to Ewing so he could play the ball bc he's not winning a battle like that.
I still watch bball but it's a different game & not for the better imo.
Agree. I've never been Bulls and Jordan fan but I really appreciated his skills as a offensive and defensive player at the same time. He was a true leader with a killer instinct.

James is probably a better athlete. Unfortunately for him, Jordan just had a far, far crazier killer instinct. It also is probably why Jordan is considered to be an insufferable *******, but what makes him a better player.

This is what I was hinting at with some drunken Brady post I made a few weeks back. Will to win and killer instinct just seems to be more profound and impactful than the technology, or in this case, the athleticism to get there.

Sure, someday there's a point where you just can't compete, regardless of your will. But until that happens, people like Jordan will edge out LeBron.

That being said, LeBron, as a person off the court, is probably far more likeable and also has been an ambassador for his culture in profound ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes