PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady throwing coach Tom House assesses Mac

OK, use your fingers to count the ones alleging "weak arm" and your toes for those claiming "low ceiling."
I mean, in the video you posted Curran admits he's been saying he has a weak arm. Mr. House also said he has an avg arm (that can be improved). There are dozens and dozens of media and patsfan posters that have all said it. The amount of people saying he has a low ceiling are few and far between. There's a few, sure.

However, the amount of people saying both (your contention) is probably one, on this forum. I don't think that poster is ever on the Brady forum. You're just wrong if you think people that want Brady to continue his amazing career want Mac to fail. It's just not true.

I mean, in the video you posted Curran admits he's been saying he has a weak arm. Mr. House also said he has an avg arm (that can be improved). There are dozens and dozens of media and patsfan posters that have all said it. The amount of people saying he has a low ceiling are few and far between. There's a few, sure.

However, the amount of people saying both (your contention) is probably one, on this forum. I don't think that poster is ever on the Brady forum. You're just wrong if you think people that want Brady to continue his amazing career want Mac to fail. It's just not true.

Strawmen galore.

Wes Welker had a 7.09 sec 3-cone, so maybe Mac can move to slot receiver. We have a need there.
Didn't somebody once say, in reference to Mr. Welker, that her husband couldn't both throw and catch the ball?

It amazes me hearing people around the NFL knock Mac Jones this week. Buffalo radio guys were assessing the competition over the next few years and talking about how tough it would be, and with the Steelers and Broncos in the market for QB like Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and maybe Deshaun Watson. Mac got lumped in the with Tua and Tannehill as the 3 worst in the conference. They gave Mayfield a better shot of possibly rejuvenating his career.

But I've been hearing all sorts of disparaging things about Mac on the TV shows too. It's crazy. I wonder where this all comes from. Kid was a rookie.

Didn't somebody once say, in reference to Mr. Welker, that her husband couldn't both throw and catch the ball?

Are you trying to place limits on Mac after only his rookie season?

Weak arm - average arm - not really quantified. Why? Well a weak NFL arm is still better then 90% of college QB arms. An average arm is vague - average for NFL starters or all NFL QBs? It might well be average if you factor in all backups - remember some teams go 3 deep.

It's not Mac bashing to say it is one of the weaker arms in the NFL for a starting QB. We can look at his pro day throws - or his lack of zip in the NFL and think who does he throw harder then? I think he has bigger arm then Hoyer.. But I think Stidham has more zip. So even on the Patriots he doesn't have the biggest arm.

Burrow is a best case scenario for him. Danny Weuerffel is the worst. Let's hope he gets a coach and takes care of business. Either way OP is wrong - House isn't exactly gushing about Mac Jones. Scouts were right - arm is mediocre for NFL right now. That doesn't mean he won't improve but we should tell the truth.

It amazes me hearing people around the NFL knock Mac Jones this week. Buffalo radio guys were assessing the competition over the next few years and talking about how tough it would be, and with the Steelers and Broncos in the market for QB like Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and maybe Deshaun Watson. Mac got lumped in the with Tua and Tannehill as the 3 worst in the conference. They gave Mayfield a better shot of possibly rejuvenating his career.

But I've been hearing all sorts of disparaging things about Mac on the TV shows too. It's crazy. I wonder where this all comes from. Kid was a rookie.
It's not amazing at all.

The narrative was that Mac lacked elite physical talent to develop into a high end NFL QB - but was a smart kid who knows how to play and would have a high floor. They might be wrong but Mac has not really altered the narrative.

It's like in the NBA when a team drafts a top shooter without a ton of athletic ability. He needs to prove he can do more then run off picks and hit threes.

Wes Welker had a 7.09 sec 3-cone, so maybe Mac can move to slot receiver. We have a need there.

So, Giselle is wrong! The QB can throw and catch the passes!

Tom House should market himself as a Melatonin alternative

GIF by Viktor the Viking

Plenty Brady/Bucs worshipers are in the "Mac has a weak arm and low ceiling" camp. It's important to them he doesn't succeed so they can continue to gloat and disparage BB.
I’m in the Brady worshipper camp. Mac pretty clearly has an average or below average arm, but it is not a “weak” arm. And with a good offseason workout program, there’s no reason he can’t improve his arm strength. Mac also seems to have the it factor when it comes to understanding defenses and making the proper read and getting rid of the ball quickly. And he seems to have good accuracy and touch on his throws. His ceiling is very high.

Weak arm - average arm - not really quantified. Why? Well a weak NFL arm is still better then 90% of college QB arms. An average arm is vague - average for NFL starters or all NFL QBs? It might well be average if you factor in all backups - remember some teams go 3 deep.

It's not Mac bashing to say it is one of the weaker arms in the NFL for a starting QB. We can look at his pro day throws - or his lack of zip in the NFL and think who does he throw harder then? I think he has bigger arm then Hoyer.. But I think Stidham has more zip. So even on the Patriots he doesn't have the biggest arm.

Burrow is a best case scenario for him. Danny Weuerffel is the worst. Let's hope he gets a coach and takes care of business. Either way OP is wrong - House isn't exactly gushing about Mac Jones. Scouts were right - arm is mediocre for NFL right now. That doesn't mean he won't improve but we should tell the truth.

Danny Weuerffel as worst case? Mac is already in the to[ half of NFL starting QB's as a rookie.

Great Job was going to start a thread on this topic, Mac can be an elite QB as good as any of them. If he goes to a throwing coach like House (preferably House). Off BB isn’t on this he should retire.
I think Mac is good enough, in the right setting, to be good enough. I anticipate he will improve in his physical skills/strength going forward. I do NOT agree that he "can be an elite quarterback as good as any of them." His ceiling, I think, is such that he will never be the star Allen or Mahomes, for example, have already shown themselves to be. The stunning rise of Brady was a HUGE historical outlier: it will not recur. I do hope Mac works with House. It was an encouraging and interesting interview with another star, Phil the Senator.

Either way OP is wrong - House isn't exactly gushing about Mac Jones.

Huh? I never posted House was "gushing" about or praising Mac. I passed along exactly what he said in the video -- that Mac has a good grasp on the intangibles, an "adequate" and "accurate" arm and his throwing will improve with work. I called that encouraging. You might want to revisit this.

Last edited:
I think Mac is good enough, in the right setting, to be good enough. I anticipate he will improve in his physical skills/strength going forward. I do NOT agree that he "can be an elite quarterback as good as any of them." His ceiling, I think, is such that he will never be the star Allen or Mahomes, for example, have already shown themselves to be. The stunning rise of Brady was a HUGE historical outlier: it will not recur. I do hope Mac works with House. It was an encouraging and interesting interview with another star, Phil the Senator.

Well if he improves his arm strength along with his ELITE ability to make pre snap reads he will indeed be elite. Brady doesn't and never had Allen's or Mahomes abilities. Hopefully we can agree that Brady is Elite.

I loved that show.

Biggest a-hole on tv. Hugh Lawrie was outstanding

He's more or less outstanding in most everything he does... Hard to believe he also played the perpetually dim-witted member of royalty/officer corps in the Blackadder series...

What a rubbish take. Jones has more games started, wins, yards and TDs in his rookie year than Wuerffel had in his career. If you want to tell "the truth" why not start by cutting the hyperbole.

JFC listening to Tom house is as riveting as watching paint dry... good info, but take a bump or something Tom....

JFC listening to Tom house is as riveting as watching paint dry... good info, but take a bump or something Tom....

Tom House is about 75 and his speech has slowed, which happens. It will only slow more. No riveting discussions developing there.

a "bump"? are you insinuating he use an illegal substance such as....COCAINE??? That's so '80s FCB...not that I don't agree with you... :whistle:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back