PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady throwing coach Tom House assesses Mac

Sounded like an overall luke warm endorsement of MAC by Tom House. He was not exactly gushing. Could he improve, yes..but he is no Justin Herbert.
He is not a franchise QB. House really trying to drum up business with MAC. I think he could help MAC, but he will not turn into a howitzer.

Haven't seen the video yet so not sure if Matt Cassel was on it but in a previous podcast he actually mentioned that Tom House was his coach and he introduced him to Brady (after I believe Tom Martinez had passed away).

Edited to say: Just finished watching and Curran did mention the above

Last edited:
House has a very scientific approach coupled with great understanding of the intangibles that make athletes great. The latter -- what House calls "the hard part" -- Mac already has under his belt, he says. The physical improvement apparently is just a matter of putting the work in. Interesting how he noted a player Mac's age has years to go before maturing physically.

When he said that a QB can put 3-10 mph in their velocity if they put in the work, I had heart palpitations.

Sounded like an overall luke warm endorsement of MAC by Tom House. He was not exactly gushing. Could he improve, yes..but he is no Justin Herbert.
He is not a franchise QB. House really trying to drum up business with MAC. I think he could help MAC, but he will not turn into a howitzer.

Not what I heard.

But of course, it's all a self-serving cynical ploy from the fraudulent Tom House. Pump the brakes, don't hope for much, Mac Jones is not now nor will he ever be a franchise QB. Thanks so much for your insightful dose of reality.

I heard him say: "We can train a gene pool 3% better than what he shows up with."

Seems like they use technology to tweak efficiency of motion. They're not implanting bionic arms out there.

20+ yards passing stats

Joe Burrow

20.8% comp. pct. (35th/35)
50.8 passer rating (33rd/35)

this season

41.7% comp pct. (14th/37)
99.5 rating (13th/37)

Mac Jones

38.1% comp pct. (21st/37)
72.4 rating (28th/37)

The comp. for Mac Jones is right there. Joe Burrow had average arm strength & lacked a #1 WR. He was arguably the worst deep passer his rookie year. He worked on velocity, the bengals drafted Chase & the rest is history.

Burrow is an inch taller but I’m not sure why Mac is dinged for his athleticism. We’ve seen him make plays on the run & 4.83 forty/7.04 3 cone/32 inch vert are respectable numbers for a QB.

Fascinating and very encouraging stuff here, House appears at 25:10. And a sobering take for the morons here claiming Mac Jones' arm is "weak."

Even more than the "arm is weak" narrative, are all the assertions about knowing what his ceiling is. "He's at best a good QB, not a great one." "He'll never be the decision maker Brady was." "We will always be competing uphill against the Bills, Chiefs, and Bengals."

How can any fan know at this point what his ceiling is?

Even more than the "arm is weak" narrative, are all the assertions about knowing what his ceiling is. "He's at best a good QB, not a great one." "He'll never be the decision maker Brady was." "We will always be competing uphill against the Bills, Chiefs, and Bengals."

Plenty Brady/Bucs worshipers are in the "Mac has a weak arm and low ceiling" camp. It's important to them he doesn't succeed so they can continue to gloat and disparage BB.

Interesting, though I think some of these observations are known elements of kinesiology. Important how House describes why Mac needs to improve his entire body, not just his throwing motion.

Plenty Brady/Bucs worshipers are in the "Mac has a weak arm and low ceiling" camp. It's important to them he doesn't succeed so they can continue to gloat and disparage BB.

That is so sad.
@Ian if I ever get that resentful and cynical about the Patriots, please just delete me from the Forum.

Nobody knows Mac's ceiling, that's just nonsense. As to the average arm, does that include Tom House who asserted he needs improvement (and can achieve it)? Your paranoia is out of control. Try some risperidone, it may help.

We shouldn't compare him to TB that isn't fair to Mac. Let him be himself and hopefully we. get elite QB play for another decade plus

If you have a dissenting opinion from the sunshine and rainbows group you're a moron rooting for Mac and the team to fail. Mac didn't have a strong arm this year. Yes he can work on it and House will help but House saying good things about a guy who is paying him is to be expected. He isn't going to tell the media "Yeah this kid has a lot of work to do and has a really weak arm."

I heard him say: "We can train a gene pool 3% better than what he shows up with."

Seems like they use technology to tweak efficiency of motion. They're not implanting bionic arms out there.

He is focusing on the sequence of the throw much like hitting a golf shot you start at thee left hips arm. He has specific drills for speeding up the body which he describes in the podcast. Said he can add 3-10 mph to throwing speed for a QB. If Mac fell in the middle 6-7mph with his high FB IQ he is an ELITE QB. Please get him a good slot receiver.

If you have a dissenting opinion from the sunshine and rainbows group you're a moron rooting for Mac and the team to fail. Mac didn't have a strong arm this year. Yes he can work on it and House will help but House saying good things about a guy who is paying him is to be expected. He isn't going to tell the media "Yeah this kid has a lot of work to do and has a really weak arm."

House didn't say he was workig with Mac yet. Also note House is the guy who got Brady's arm to elite status.

He is focusing on the sequence of the throw much like hitting a golf shot you start at thee left hips arm. He has specific drills for speeding up the body which he describes in the podcast. Said he can add 3-10 mph to throwing speed for a QB. If Mac fell in the middle 6-7mph with his high FB IQ he is an ELITE QB. Please get him a good slot receiver.
Any golfer will tell you the 4 main sources of power are the legs drive upward, hips/turn, shoulder turn and wrist rotation and done in that sequence.

If he can pick up 5-10mph on those intermediate passes (15-25yds) he will become a very dangerous person.

F@cking Belichick, pulls this crap every time. He could have had Bledsoe for his entire career but he kept Brady( a career clipboard holder, dink and dunker, with a weak arm and no mobility. Then he passed on guys like Luck and Mahomes, and now Hebert and Lawrence. He could have drafted any of them but keeps going after these liver armed guys just because they are “ winners.” And we get crap in return, only a 75% win record, 6 Lombardi’s and 9 AFC Championships. It sucks. F@cking Belichick, always passing on the cannon arms. Where is Micheal Bishop when you really need him. I’m so mad!!!!

House didn't say he was workig with Mac yet. Also note House is the guy who got Brady's arm to elite status.
If he isn't yet he probably will be soon. I am not knocking House he seems to be one of the best in his field. What I am saying is he likely won't come out and trash a guy publicly.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back