PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady: The First Ever QB, OC and GM in NFL history

I always cringed when I saw Bob take the mic after a SB win and slur out "we are all world champions", even though his team represents only one region of one country in the entire world. I think it's presumptuous to consider any team in that situation of being the world's anything.
It was minutes after the Cubs' World Series win, that Theo Epstein recognized Ernie Banks and Ron Santo. Nothing like that ever was spoken by Robert Kraft. Those forty years were not spent waiting for a championship. Wanting one, sure, but not waiting. They were spent competing by the players, and rooting and supporting by the fans - both extremely well, and both wrongly dismissed by media and opponents.

Maybe not entirely but he's legitimately playing a significant part in all of it. The NFL has never seen this level of control/authority given to a player and Brady deserves to be the first. I'm pretty sure he wanted to ascend to the same position in New England but that would have led to Belichick leaving and the Krafts weren't going there.
This post is phenomenally ignorant of NFL history. Brady is not the first QB to work a HC out of town. You obviously never heard of a guy named John Elway (among several others).

POS Brady throws Bucs coach under the bus. If Brady didn't like the call of the offensive coach, Brady wouldn't use it, Brady would change it. It is all about Brady's way. So now the Narcissus is in charge. Hope the Bucs are a flop.

What did Bob Kraft say when talking about Mac Jones? Kraft called him a "Good Person," did he ever say that about Brady? Ah NO. Kraft called Jones "humble," for sure Kraft never said that about Brady. As far as Brady being a nice human being, Did Kraft ever say anything like that about Brady? Ah NO.
1649281329341.png

Like a lot of others, including those crying for Michael Bishop[K-State, like Grogan!! That alone should have put him in there!!], I knew we were never going anywhere with Drew. But Drew's a good guy, and really well liked by lots of teammates, the media, and Kraft. Incredible there are still legions still mad at Belichick for not putting him back in[and thus eliminating us] in '01.

Brady, right from the outset, clearly had the attitude and work ethic to succeed. He was the anti-Drew in so many ways, it was so enjoyable - and refreshing - to see him play. TODAY I do not believe his play in '01 is understood or appreciated. To me, this guy was CLEARLY set up to succeed in the long term, even if Coleman hadn't correctly reversed the fumble call in the Snow Bowl. It was blindingly obvious. Now, Kurt Warner had come out of nowhere only a couple years earlier to lead a previous doormat all the way, but he was older, and had some superstars. Brady, even with basically no experience as a rookie, learned how to work a game. You can't credit Weis enough. I swear, if Charlie had been our OC instead of the WR coach against the Packers he could have had Drew hand the stupid ball off to future Hall of Famer Curtis Martin at least 25 times and we could have won that game in '97.

Anyway, the Patriots were appointment viewing from the second Brady started. I believed we had the advantage at the quarterback position in every game he started for us, never mind who was on the other team. Yup, I'm a homer, but it's still true.

As for Robert, what he did - purchasing the land and the stadium lease, hanging onto it, taking a huge chance and buying out Orthwein, making the Hartford sweet deal that got the league and the legislature to wake up and do something to keep the team here, demanding nothing less than winning, hiring Belichick who was[and still is]considered toxic to legions in the media and the league - along with his genuine philanthropy and {private} consideration for former players, seems like it should make up for retaining the worst logo and uniform in history which insultingly replaced the best which was established for over three decades, actively going right along with resentful media, bitter opponents and the league in denigrating, dismissing, ignoring and outright denying all the success and great players and fan support prior to his ownership, and rolling over for the subsequent three (so far) FakeGates with three stolen top draft picks...

But for me, it doesn't.

A franchise, a team is defined by its players and fans: the ups and downs, the highs and lows, the trials and travails, the laughter and the tears, the good times and the bad times. Winning a Super Bowl is supposed to be the culmination of this relationship, the pinnacle of this commitment, a celebration of the investment and sacrifice of years together, usually with the same logo and uniform. A Super Bowl title is not the be-all and end-all of a football team's existence. All the local philanthropy and activity by Robert Kraft is admirable; However, his complicity with media, opponent and league denigration, dismissal, ignorance and denial of the Patriots' success and players' accomplishments on and off the field in the 34 years prior to his purchase has empowered and enabled the very same treatment during his ownership.
Exactly. The Pats were a dynasty when Brady was here but weren't treated like one. I'd place the blame for that with Bob and Bill.

I also thought it was obvious that Brady did everything well compared to Drew, but Drew had his following, as you alluded to earlier. I have a friend who still thinks the Pats would have won the SB in 2001 with Drew.

Back in the old days I remember Eddie Andleman talking about some land he owned around the stadium. I don't remember the particulars but I think he made out well. I also remember Kraft talking about Patriot Place like it was going to be another wonder of the world. Instead it's a mall around a football stadium.

Bob's an astute business man who seems to turn everything he touches into gold, but even he didn't really see what he had and ended up choosing a coach over the GOAT QB soon after he had led the team to his 6th title. That was the blunder of all blunders that Kraft probably regrets now.

It feels like crap that Brady won his 7th ring with another team instead of ours.

This post is phenomenally ignorant of NFL history. Brady is not the first QB to work a HC out of town. You obviously never heard of a guy named John Elway (among several others).
Where did I say Brady is the QB to work a HC out of town??

I said he's the first QB to play as large as role in a combination of QB, OC & GM. How is John Elway a better example of a QB who had as much power and influence as Brady has in Tampa Bay? Elway may have gotten Dan Reeves fired but he never had as much sway over the offense and player personnel as Brady.

Where did I say Brady is the QB to work a HC out of town??
uh, in the f'ing title of the thread.
I said he's the first QB to play as large as role in a combination of QB, OC & GM. How is John Elway a better example of a QB who had as much power and influence as Brady has in Tampa Bay? Elway may have gotten Dan Reeves fired but he never had as much sway over the offense and player personnel as Brady.
Yeah. Sure. Elway may have gotten Reeves fired just like Brady may have gotten Arians fired.

Tell me you don't know football history without telling me you don't know football history.

uh, in the f'ing title of the thread.

Yeah. Sure. Elway may have gotten Reeves fired just like Brady may have gotten Arians fired.

Tell me you don't know football history without telling me you don't know football history.
The title of the thread doesn't say anything about HC.

You strongly suggested I said Brady was the first and only QB to get his head coach fired. I never said anything like that. The thread title wasn't meant to be taken literally either. Brady's the QB but he's also running the offense (probably entirely now) and impacting football operations and player personnel decisions. I think he probably has more influence over that organization right now than any player in the history of the league.

You mentioned Elway... why? Dan Reeves was a boob who was way too conservative with an elite talent at quarterback. Then he drafted a first round quarterback in Elway's prime and fired Mike Shanahan. Reeves was a jack*** so I'm sure it didn't take too much leveraging by Elway for Reeves to get canned. Regarding Denver's offense, that was Shanahan's creation, so there's no doubt who was running that operation. Brady has more influence in Tampa Bay than Elway had in Denver.

It's interesting you brought up Elway because Broncos owner Pat Bowlen also had to make a decision about keeping his HC or franchise quarterback. He chose the quarterback... smart move.

You strongly suggested I said Brady was the first and only QB to get his head coach fired. I never said anything like that.
You've realized the stupidity of this thread, and now you're mincing words to try and squirm your way out.
The thread title wasn't meant to be taken literally either.
You mean to tell me you didn't literally mean that Brady was a GM and OC? No sh*t, sherlock.
Brady's the QB but he's also running the offense (probably entirely now) and impacting football operations and player personnel decisions. I think he probably has more influence over that organization right now than any player in the history of the league.
And that's a problem how...?
You mentioned Elway... why?
Because it is clear you are ignorant of football history and had no clue that other QB's have run coaches out of town before.
Dan Reeves was a boob who was way too conservative with an elite talent at quarterback. Then he drafted a first round quarterback in Elway's prime and fired Mike Shanahan. Reeves was a jack*** so I'm sure it didn't take too much leveraging by Elway for Reeves to get canned.
Arians was a jack** so I'm sure it didn't take too much leveraging by Brady for Arians to get canned.

Well before Brady the Bucs were known as the "Succaneers". They had no fan base. They went through coaches like people go through socks. No PO win in 17 years.

Since Brady has arrived....Primetime games. Relevant on every sports show. Sold out with a waiting list. A SB win.

I think the Glazer family is just fine with Brady having alot of say.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Brady ends up getting #12 retired in TB. And obviously he will get his # retired (With a statue) in NE. It's rare that players get their # retired by two different franchises.

I honestly don't know but I'm going with Brady over the US Government, even one this corrupt.
They have already question TB12 regarding the number of employees and the money they took to keep the employees working. Brady will blame someone else.

You strongly suggested I said Brady was the first and only QB to get his head coach fired. I never said anything like that. The thread title wasn't meant to be taken literally either. Brady's the QB but he's also running the offense (probably entirely now) and impacting football operations and player personnel decisions. I think he probably has more influence over that organization right now than any player in the history of the league.

You mentioned Elway... why? Dan Reeves was a boob who was way too conservative with an elite talent at quarterback. Then he drafted a first round quarterback in Elway's prime and fired Mike Shanahan. Reeves was a jack*** so I'm sure it didn't take too much leveraging by Elway for Reeves to get canned. Regarding Denver's offense, that was Shanahan's creation, so there's no doubt who was running that operation. Brady has more influence in Tampa Bay than Elway had in Denver.

It's interesting you brought up Elway because Broncos owner Pat Bowlen also had to make a decision about keeping his HC or franchise quarterback. He chose the quarterback... smart move.
Choosing the greatest QB to ever play the game over a HC is more like a common sense move than a smart one, especially if you have nothing else at QB.

Well before Brady the Bucs were known as the "Succaneers". They had no fan base. They went through coaches like people go through socks. No PO win in 17 years.

Since Brady has arrived....Primetime games. Relevant on every sports show. Sold out with a waiting list. A SB win.

I think the Glazer family is just fine with Brady having alot of say.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Brady ends up getting #12 retired in TB. And obviously he will get his # retired (With a statue) in NE. It's rare that players get their # retired by two different franchises.
Brady made Bob and Bill much richer and the team much better. With that money they overpaid other players and instead of the 13% of the cap that Kraft says they offer QB's, they offered Brady less than 8%. Basically they told the GOAT to get lost.

You've realized the stupidity of this thread, and now you're mincing words to try and squirm your way out.
lol... not at all. It's a thread title. I clarified my argument in the original post.

And that's a problem how...?
It's not problem. I didn't say it was. And apparently you agree with what I said.

Because it is clear you are ignorant of football history and had no clue that other QB's have run coaches out of town before.
You've completely made this up. At no point did I claim Brady is only quarterback to run his coach out of town. Show me the quote.

Arians was a jack** so I'm sure it didn't take too much leveraging by Brady for Arians to get canned.
And?

You've completely made this up. At no point did I claim Brady is only quarterback to run his coach out of town. Show me the quote.
It is the title of the thread.

Like I said before... your thread backfired spectacularly, and now you're trying to squirm out by telling us all you didn't mean what you clearly meant. Andy would be proud.

It is the title of the thread.

Like I said before... your thread backfired spectacularly, and now you're trying to squirm out by telling us all you didn't mean what you clearly meant. Andy would be proud.
Are you reading the correct thread??

Tom Brady: The First QB, OC and GM in NFL history

Brady is only quarterback in NFL history to run his coach out of town

Those aren't the same thing, brother.

Are you reading the correct thread??

Tom Brady: The First QB, OC and GM in NFL history

Brady is only quarterback in NFL history to run his coach out of town

Those aren't the same thing, brother.
I'm surprised that the first title doesn't include DC and owner too.
It's too bad that the second thread title doesn't say BA was the 2nd coach Brady ran out of town.

Exactly. The Pats were a dynasty when Brady was here but weren't treated like one. I'd place the blame for that with Bob and Bill.
Bob, yeah. Bill, I don't think so much. He was detested before he came to be the HC here in '00.

Bill rolls with it. He saw the leadership and special ability of Parcells, and he took the heat as part of life. "Yeah, the sideline isn't a place for rainbows and unicorns..." He understands Kraft's agenda and priorities, and he knows his place is as coach. Not owner. Not commissioner. That's somebody else's job. He was pissed, but he still feels he shouldn't have had those guys taping from that place in Giants Stadium, and instead of crying about the complete stupidity and injustice of CryGate, he accepts his responsibility and moves on. He doesn't pretend he controls media spins and public perception here any more than he did with the Giants or Browns.
I also thought it was obvious that Brady did everything well compared to Drew, but Drew had his following, as you alluded to earlier. I have a friend who still thinks the Pats would have won the SB in 2001 with Drew.
They would not have come close at all to the playoffs
Bob's an astute business man who seems to turn everything he touches into gold, but even he didn't really see what he had and ended up choosing a coach over the GOAT QB soon after he had led the team to his 6th title.
Bob has his way of doing things, and nobody, including Bill Parcells, Tom Brady or Pat Patriot, will change his modus operandi.
It feels like crap that Brady won his 7th ring with another team instead of ours.
I'm happy for Tom. He was unhappy, and stuck in a rut here. Bob - and Bill - were never going to have an epiphany and simply respond correctly to the situation. Sure, I always want us to win, but we should be very thankful that Tom was here long enough to win the show six times.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back