PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today's WSJ: Broncos/Seahawks Super Bowl of 'cheating'

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Nice read, although I cringe @ the word 'cheating'.

Both teams are pushing - ok, @ times breaking, but doing it in the open - some rules to a large extent because they are betting that the ref's will not throw the flag.

Since the refs (and the NFL) have the power to stop it but haven't so far -thereby giving a signal that it is ok to do it - why blame the teams of cheating?

Such activities could have stopped right @ the beginning of the season when the NFL noted it; for whatever reason the NFL didn't, leading both teams to continue doing it in a brazen manner.

The fact that BB openly called WW's pick play hit as of the worst plays he has seen, and yet the NFL stated that it was a legal hit is a clear sign that the NFL is not considering this seriously. IMO.

How the Seahawks and Broncos Have Avoided Dozens of Penalties on Pass Plays This Season - WSJ.com

Good piece. So much to read there (though I wish their guest had weighed in on the Welkr-Talib hit).

This jumped out:

According to the referee, 21 of those 90 (Denver) plays should have drawn a flag for offensive pass interference, which is punished with a 10-yard penalty. But of those 21 plays, the Broncos were flagged only once. On the plays that weren't flagged, Denver gained a total of 183 yards and scored twice on touchdown passes. Had those plays been flagged, the Broncos would have lost 200 yards in penalties.

Geez. Makes you think Peyton's team was the obvious next choice for Goodell to back after last year's blatant Ray Lewis Farewell/Victory Tour guest spot.

Oh well. As long as their kick blocking team's front line didn't get any second-level push, it's all good, eh?

Oh, and nice last bit of the story:

The outcome may depend on what the officials do with their flags.

In that case, congrats Wes and Peyton on your inevitable win.

I like this one:

In the Super Bowl, the official said, this phenomenon is likely to be more pronounced because officials are hesitant to throw a flag unless the infraction is a "train wreck."

Uh, safety on Tom Brady for overthrowing Deion Branch.

Good piece. So much to read there (though I wish their guest had weighed in on the Welkr-Talib hit).

This jumped out:

Geez. Makes you think Peyton's team was the obvious next choice for Goodell to back after last year's blatant Ray Lewis Farewell/Victory Tour guest spot.

Oh well. As long as their kick blocking team's front line didn't get any second-level push, it's all good, eh?

Oh, and nice last bit of the story:

In that case, congrats Wes and Peyton on your inevitable win.

Anyone on this board surprised by this? IOKIPTDI: It's o.k. if Peyton's team does it. Been going on for years. The wonder is that he hasn't won more SBs. Shouldn't the Saints have been called for pass interference when thy intercepted Manning in SB XLV?

I have no problem with the Donks or Seahawks doing those things. Those things went a long way towards bringing NE 3 Super Bowls last decade.

Call 'em tight or call 'em loose..... as long as the game is evenly and consistently officiated for both sides, I have no problem.

It begs the question.
If at some magic post Christmas date the refs suddenly calling the game markedly differently, why not change the rules for the entire consistent season? At the very least rescind the only allow contact within 5 yards back to allowing contact beyond 5 yds BEFORE the ball is in the air.

Very telling on the quote that officials don't like to throw multiple flags for the same, repeated penalty...

The referee who reviewed the film for the Journal said officials are reluctant to throw flags for the same infringement more than once in a game.

That's how you win big games, therefore. The Ravens went headhunting to soften up the Pats last year - we all saw it. The Broncos "picked" the snot out of opposing D-backs all year and we saw it in the playoffs.

Revis was considered like God at corner - he jersey grabs on every play.

A team HAS TO push it to the limit and over the limit to win in the NFL. If you watch films of the 2001 Superbowl, Willie McGinnis was POUNDING Faulk on every play.

Very telling on the quote that officials don't like to throw multiple flags for the same, repeated penalty...

The referee who reviewed the film for the Journal said officials are reluctant to throw flags for the same infringement more than once in a game.

That's how you win big games, therefore. The Ravens went headhunting to soften up the Pats last year - we all saw it. The Broncos "picked" the snot out of opposing D-backs all year and we saw it in the playoffs.

A team HAS TO push it to the limit and over the limit to win in the NFL. If you watch films of the 2001 Superbowl, Willie McGinnis was POUNDING Faulk on every play.

But that was allowed by the refs until Polian had the compensation committee make contact beyond 5 yds a point of emphasis in 2005.

I have no problem with the Donks or Seahawks doing those things. Those things went a long way towards bringing NE 3 Super Bowls last decade.

Call 'em tight or call 'em loose..... as long as the game is evenly and consistently officiated for both sides, I have no problem.

The only difference is the Pats are called for OPI whenever it smells like it (and by the way, Pats would have won the 2007 SB if OPI had been called on the gmen on the late 4th down completion to Smith, blatent pick, WW type where the Pats dB is flattened, allowed him to get open. The helmet catch never would have happened)

There is nothing illegal or even questionable about McGinest hitting Faulk in that game.

its going to be fun to see how many dbs get ir'd next year because of these new legal pick plays where you can full speed blindside block them

its going to be fun to see how many dbs get ir'd next year because of these new legal pick plays where you can full speed blindside block them
That's the big problem with the Welker hit. All the conversation has turned to the play, and how all teams do it. But the point is not the pick, which basically is legal if the receiver doesn't initiate contact. The point is that Welker tried to lay him out. Running into each other because you are trying to get to the same place is a no harm no foul, even if it is done on purpose. Going out of your way to lay out a guy in coverage while the ball is in the air, is egregious, intentional and scumbaggery.

The only difference is the Pats are called for OPI whenever it smells like it (and by the way, Pats would have won the 2007 SB if OPI had been called on the gmen on the late 4th down completion to Smith, blatent pick, WW type where the Pats dB is flattened, allowed him to get open. The helmet catch never would have happened)
The Patriots employed the strategy of "go right up to what the rulebook allows and go ever further until the refs start throwing flags" to absolute perfection 10 years ago. In fact, they routinely got away with stuff they probably shouldn't have. Everyone in here hates Polian so it blinds them to the fact that the guy had a legit point. I can't say I have any problem whatsoever with the Broncos and Seahawks employing the same strategy that worked so well for us during our Championship Seasons.

I would not be surprised if we see another "rulebook point of emphasis" this offseason with regards to offensive PI the way we saw that for defensive holding and illegal contact almost a decade ago.

All I know is that if Denver wins I am never going to get any closure.

The Patriots employed the strategy of "go right up to what the rulebook allows and go ever further until the refs start throwing flags" to absolute perfection 10 years ago. In fact, they routinely got away with stuff they probably shouldn't have. Everyone in here hates Polian so it blinds them to the fact that the guy had a legit point. I can't say I have any problem whatsoever with the Broncos and Seahawks employing the same strategy that worked so well for us during our Championship Seasons.

I would not be surprised if we see another "rulebook point of emphasis" this offseason with regards to offensive PI the way we saw that for defensive holding and illegal contact almost a decade ago.
Your opinion is clearly biased and tainted.

I guess the issue is that NFL refs don't have the balls to do their jobs properly. This happens when you make so many bad calls that nobody respects you as the authority anymore.

Could work both ways. Good luck to a slot receiver if a player like Collins picks them off.

Still pretending to be a Patriot fan though we all know your allegiance doesn't lie with the Pats? So please stop trying to talk for "us"

Could work both ways. Good luck to a slot receiver if a player like Collins picks them off.

well that's a penalty

a.)because its a patriot player
b.)defense are not allowed to lay anyone out, only destroying knees is allowed now.

Still pretending to be a Patriot fan though we all know your allegiance doesn't lie with the Pats? So please stop trying to talk for "us"
I got 6 season tickets that proves my allegiance lies with the Pats (and goes back before 2001). Would you like me to take a picture of my playoff sheets from this year? (I don't even use the hard tickets to go to games - I want to keep the sheet in pristine condition so I print out electronic copies that I use for actual entry).

I just refuse to be one of the ignorant "the refs hate us, the media hates us, the league hates us, Goodell hates us, everyone is out to get us, they only ever call penalties against the innocent Patriots and we never get calls when evil opponents commit penalties against us" homer fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back