PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today in Patriots History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday, Leigh Edmond Bodden (born September 24, 1981)
th
th
th
th

i made a photo with Leigh Bodden after the 2009 game @ WEMBLEY against TB
he was very very nice and a big smile

Since he would have only been 14 at the time, I'm not sure if Brady would have been all that much help to **** MacPherson's crew. It still may have been a tossup between TB12 and Tommy Hodson as the backup to Hugh Millen though.... :D

4cc.jpg

Pretty sure Brady would be the catcher for the Yankees if he had to play for a Victor Kiam team.

ETA: I'd put 14yr old Tom Brady's arm strength up against 1991 Hodson's. I'm more than half serious.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Since he would have only been 14 at the time, I'm not sure if Brady would have been all that much help to **** MacPherson's crew. It still may have been a tossup between TB12 and Tommy Hodson as the backup to Hugh Millen though.... :D

4cc.jpg
Tom would have had the opportunity to play looking like a champion, and representing New England proudly, like this:
th
th

...instead of, not.

September 30:

Tom Brady makes his first NFL start on September 30, 2001. The Patriots crush golden boy Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts by the score of 44-13. It was the Colts first loss of the season, the Pats first victory of the year, and the first of a very long list of games between Brady and Manning. In a precursor of what would happen later in this rivalry, Ty Law had a 3-yard pick six off Manning. It was one of three interceptions the Forehead threw that day, two of which were returned for TDs (Otis Smith also had a 78-yard pick-6 to give the Pats a 17-0 first half lead).

Antowain Smith ran for two short touchdowns, rushed for 94 yards and caught three passes for 58 yards, while Adam Vinatieri booted three field goals. Brady went 13-23 for 168 yards while Manning was 20-34 for 196 yards and three interceptions. He was also sacked twice before throwing a late 4th quarter TD after Indy was down by 30 points. The Patriot defense came up with four turnovers, setting up Brady's first career victory.

Since Brady's first start the Patriots have won
  • Five Super Bowls
  • Seven AFC Championships
  • 14 AFC East Titles
  • 185 of the 238 games Brady has started (.777)
  • 25 Playoff games (.735)
I tell the story all the time about Patriots All Access prior to that game, when we were 0-2 after a 5-11 season, and how pleasant, intelligent, and enthusiastic coach Belichick was during what later would be named the "Belistrator" segment. Maybe he was excited himself to finally have Bledsoe out of there, but anyway he was a breath of fresh air. No nonsense or fluff, Bill's always been about the game.

This personality and character already separated him by light years, to me, from all the rest of his peers, just as he started this historic climb up to the top of the record books.

birthdays
Stephen Elliott "Big House" Moore (born October 1, 1960 in Memphis, Tennessee - October 25, 1989) was a huge part of our success in the 80's.

In fact, Steve was just plain huge. He occasionally lined up in the backfield.
th
Here he is blocking for Steve Grogan vs. the Steelers.

We lost him tragically, and we love and miss him hugely.

Happy Birthday, Russ Hochstein (born October 7, 1977)
th
th
th
th

...not to be confused with Major Wolfgang Hochstetter...
59d7b8fb6868d.image.jpg

"WHAT IS THIS MAN DOING HEEEEEEEEERE?!?!"

And, Happy Birthday Clayton Charles Weishuhn (born October 7, 1959 in San Angelo, Texas).
b014a3db687643b89b03f7140f005d91.jpg

Clayton is acknowledged as one of the hardest hitters ever in football. He's one good reason mommas don't want their babies to grow up to be offensive football players.

What if, what if, what if....

Clayton Weishuhn was a great player. Unfortunately he played in a time period prior to today's advanced medicine and arthroscopic procedures. Had he been able to stay healthy he would probably have been a perennial Pro Bowl player, and future Patriot Hall of Famer. Unless one day Weishuhn had enough of the Sullivans and decided to be a full-time farmer.

It's Easy To Keep Him Down On The Farm

8 october 1959 Tony Eason

happy birthday # 11

wih Brady, Bledose, Grogan and Parilli I put him in my top 5 qb list ever

some pretty good years at Foxboro from 1984 to 1986; incredible numbers on 1984: 3228 yards 23 Td with only 8 int

never forget that 3 playoffs wins...Jets, Raiders, Dolphins...

he should have done more ? probably yes but still he lead us to our FIRST Super Bowl and i always be thankfully for it

that CHI team was GREAT...point...

i think he still has the fifht most wins of any Pats qb and one of the few with winning record

and as i started to be a fan when Grogan and Eason where our qb i always consider them with a particular emotional attention

buon compleanno Tony...

Yup, Happy Birthday, Charles Carroll "Tony" Eason IV (born October 8, 1959).
charles-carroll.jpg
Tony's namesake, a fascinating guy.

The Real Story of Charles Carroll of National Treasure Fame

I always liked Tony. He's a good kid, with a good arm. He did win some games for us, and he was efficient and didn't lose those playoffs in '85-'86.

I don't hold him responsible for our coach's repeated decisions to start him over others.
68495_05_lg.jpg

going forward
Happy Birthday, Trevor Anthony Matich (born October 9, 1961)
Trevor Anthony Matich (born October 9, 1961)
th
th

And Happy Birthday, Stephen Matthew Neal (born October 9, 1976) who played his entire career for the Patriots. Steve is a former world champion in freestyle wrestling, national champion amateur and collegiate wrestler at Cal State-Bakersfield. He was signed by the Patriots as an undrafted free agent in 2001, and won three Super Bowl rings with us.
th
th
th

Remembering Louis Henry "Lou" Saban (October 13, 1921 – March 29, 2009)
59525335f95388dc10bcaf71ddac3937.jpg

Lou was our original head coach, and he brought Babe Parilli here.

This man is all about football.

After an outstanding college career at Indiana, Lou joined the army, and later studied Chinese for five months at the University of California and served in China and India as an Army interpreter during the war.

He then played four seasons with the Browns, winning four championships, and making two All-Pro teams. Besides us, he then coached for every college, university and professional team in existence...or at least, it seems that way.

"I have been known as a peripatetic coach", he said in 1994. "The first time I was called that, I thought it was a dirty word. I looked it up in the dictionary and found it meant I moved around a lot."

With Buffalo, "He saved my career", O.J. Simpson said of Saban in 1973, when he was named the NFL's most valuable player. "He promised me he'd give me the football and give me an offensive line, and he sure kept his word."

Marty Schottenheimer, who played for Saban from 1965 to 1968 with the AFL's Bills, was influenced by Saban's coaching philosophy. Schottenheimer and the coaches he influenced are considered to be in Saban's coaching tree.
saban1.jpg

1a6b5ce188_Saban_03302009.jpg

539w.jpg

"Hey Coach, can we make sure they put Pat Patriot on our helmets next year?!"

Happy Birthday, Brian Axel Hoyer (born October 13, 1985)
Tennesee+Titans+v+New+England+Patriots+K1KaYosMyTml.jpg

861cb0_01%3A20brady.jpg

"Get back here, you!!"
Tennesee+Titans+v+New+England+Patriots+IQKqfIynQu4l.jpg

showing Randy how to do it
new-england-patriots-brian-hoyer-photo.jpg

Yesterday's birthday boy is Gregory "Greg" Wendell McMurtry (born October 15, 1967)
51PLaTpiU-L._SY300_.jpg
th
27b50beb-7fcf-4823-875c-25b3cb3924b8.jpg

Who dat wearing Steamer's number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe