PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Title edited] OP theorizes about Pats signing Lamar and wants to discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I'm not for this because it will surely alienate Mac. I don't care about the cost since players like Carson Wentz have been traded for this kind of value. The cost is cheap. That being said, if BB were to ever do this, it's because he does NOT believe in Mac, which is the most important factor in all of this.

Were it not for his recent injury issues I would do it in a heart beat. You're not contending in the AFC in the short, medium or long term without a top tier QB and Lamar has the potential to be that guy. The Ravens don't spend on receivers, their offense has been injured more than pretty much every other team's in the past few years and he's had some very productive seasons with meh weapons. The only thing that gives me pause is his health, were it not for that, I'd drive the two first round picks and 220 million guaranteed to Baltimore myself.

2 firsts for lamar and maybe get a second rd pick for jones? I would do that in 10 our of 10

2 firsts for lamar and maybe get a second rd pick for jones? I would do that in 10 our of 10
Would Kraft pay Lamar?
I mean you got to pay somebody right?
There should be at least 20 teams in on this.
Would B More ever let him go to New England?
Again if you make this swing you are forced to trade Mac regardless the outcome.

I wish we just would have drafted the kid.
I’m shocked the Raiders are not in on this.
Maybe they want Mac,
Would you do a Mac for Waller trade?
Or a Mac for Renfrow trade?

This will never happen, not in a million years, not if they gave him to us for no draft picks.

BB passed over him not once, but twice in the draft. Our system calls for a pocket passer, Lamar can't pass from the pocket.

Lamar peaked in 2019 when nobody had film on him, or knew he couldn't pass with accuracy. Now teams have his number, and he's only a danger to teams with poor defenses or poor offenses who can't get a lead on the Ravens.

If he has to play from behind against a decent team, the game is already over.

Passing is the job.

And then, there is the whole "he is not that great of a passer" thing. Can he adapt his game as he ages? Judging by his social media posts and his interviews, he does not sound like the smartest fellow around... so I doubt it.

I don't think this is about intelligence; it's about career progression in an 11 on 11 offense vs a 10 on 11 offense. We saw the difference this last year between Mahomes and Jackson: Mahomes was hardly affected by being injured but Jackson couldn't play at all when he was injured because he's never learned to play 10 on 11.

There's nothing saying a great athletic QB can't become a great pocket passer too; I think Justin Fields is a really interesting test case. He has all the tools to be great in 10 on 11 but these last two years has been 11 on 11 for him. That isn't sustainable and a crutch that might limit his learning the 10 on 11 game.

Running backs don't get better as they age and they wear down in the NFL. Quarterbacks get better even though they wear down physically too. Running Quarterbacks are a hybrid which can be potent early in their NFL careers if their passing skills evolve before their running skills degrade. The question is always what happens when they can't play 11 on 11 any more.

And this isn't about Mac Jones. Certainly at Alabama Mac had comparable success to Hurts or Tua despite having lesser athleticism. And he was by far the best rookie QB in 2021. But his regression in 2022 is very troubling. We can blame Judge and Patricia for that, but for whatever the reason Mac didn't overcome the challenge and wasn't a good QB in 2022. Not because he lacks athleticism, but because his pocket play seemed worse than (say) Purdy and Zappe. He's got a lot to prove, but the problem isn't that he can't play 11 on 11.

This will never happen, not in a million years, not if they gave him to us for no draft picks.

BB passed over him not once, but twice in the draft. Our system calls for a pocket passer, Lamar can't pass from the pocket.

Lamar peaked in 2019 when nobody had film on him, or knew he couldn't pass with accuracy. Now teams have his number, and he's only a danger to teams with poor defenses or poor offenses who can't get a lead on the Ravens.

If he has to play from behind against a decent team, the game is already over.

Passing is the job.
Lamar is a better passer than Mac

Maybe, but that's not the bar you should measure him against if you plan on giving him 50M a year.
He's a better passer and a better runner than Daniel Jones, and Daniel Jones just got 40M a year. Let's exclude Lamar's MVP season and take his production from 2020-2022. Adding up passing and rushing we're talking an average of 4700 yards and 31 TDs per 17 games played and that's with the lowest cap number spent on receivers and a multitude of injuries on offense during that stretch. If people think Mac suffered under Patricia, just go take a look at the passing game concepts Greg Roman was cooking up. When Lamar is on the field, he's extremely productive.

He's a better passer and a better runner than Daniel Jones, and Daniel Jones just got 40M a year. Let's exclude Lamar's MVP season and take his production from 2020-2022. Adding up passing and rushing we're talking an average of 4700 yards and 31 TDs per 17 games played and that's with the lowest cap number spent on receivers and a multitude of injuries on offense during that stretch. If people think Mac suffered under Patricia, just go take a look at the passing game concepts Greg Roman was cooking up. When Lamar is on the field, he's extremely is

He is better than Mac in every area despite the ravens lack skill position players for years as well

He's a better passer and a better runner than Daniel Jones, and Daniel Jones just got 40M a year. Let's exclude Lamar's MVP season and take his production from 2020-2022. Adding up passing and rushing we're talking an average of 4700 yards and 31 TDs per 17 games played and that's with the lowest cap number spent on receivers and a multitude of injuries on offense during that stretch. If people think Mac suffered under Patricia, just go take a look at the passing game concepts Greg Roman was cooking up. When Lamar is on the field, he's extremely productive.
I mean, no one is saying he is not a productive player.

If you want to use Daniel Jones as a comparable, fine, but that's not the kind of money Jackson is after. If he was willing to accept similar guarantees to Jones, he would already be signed. Now, should he settle for Daniel Jones money? Definitely not.

But I would not be willing to GUARANTEE 50M+ for 4 years to a guy that did not finish the last two seasons and is an average passer at best.

I mean, no one is saying he is not a productive player.

If you want to use Daniel Jones as a comparable, fine, but that's not the kind of money Jackson is after. If he was willing to accept similar guarantees to Jones, he would already be signed. Now, should he settle for Daniel Jones money? Definitely not.

But I would not be willing to GUARANTEE 50M+ for 4 years to a guy that did not finish the last two seasons and is an average passer at best.
He's not looking for similar guarantees as Daniel Jones because he's much, much better than Daniel Jones, as in his worst season as a pro compares very favorably to Jones' best. It's just that when meh QBs with one good season are getting that kind of contract, Lamar for something like 5/250 and 220 million guaranteed isn't much. Especially for an AFC team and the amount of talent the conference has at QB.

One thing to consider with the blowup in contracts: do teams who aren't paying this amount of $$ have a big advantage over teams like the Giants?

There's a reason the Ravens are balking.

You might make the case that unless you have Mahomes, there's no reason to pay Kyler Murray / Daniel Jones money to Lamar Jackson or any QB really other than a Joe Burrow or Josh Allen.

How are you going to contend?

And yet if you were to rank them. Mac is near the bottom and Jackson near the top. No serious football person would put Mac in Jackson's space.
Rank them on what? Only reason to have Jackson above Jones is his mobility. Jones is a more accurate passer than Jackson. Jackson hasn't even been able to finish the season the last 2 years because his running is already catching up to him. Jones got done wrong this season with no OL coach and Matt ****ing Patricia as his OC.

This makes no sense considering Cam struggled to hit 60% comp and tossed as many INT in one year than Lamar has in a career.

Go take a look at how many pass attempt Newton had a season and then go look at Jackson. Newton had only 1 season under 450 attempts. Jackson hasn't had 1 season above 400 attempts. Let's see what Jackson's accuracy is when he throws 480-500 times in a season. As for the INT thing no clue what you are on about. Most INT Newton threw in a year was his rookie year with 17 and he threw 520 passes. Jackson in 2021 had 13 INT on 328 attempts in 2021.

I'm 1,000,000% in favor of the Patriots signing Lamar Jackson. He's 2,000,000% better than Mac Jones. He'll save us from mediocrity. He'll salvage the few remaining years of Belichick's head coaching career. It will in part make up for not drafting him, passing up on him twice, and missing out on a spectacular MVP season.

Lamar is NFL gold. I will pray to God every day for this to happen. You'll thank me later if it comes to fruition.

FWIW:

Daniel Jones' deal is essentially 3 years, $112.5 million ($37.5 million per year), with a club option to pay $47.5 million in year 4. The Giants theoretically could, if circumstances warrant, get out after 2 years and $82 million.

Lamar Jackson has made it clear he will not settle for anything less than 3 times the guaranteed money Jones got - and probably spread out over only 5 years.

Lamar is a better passer than Mac
This is yet to be determined and unlikely.

Lamar ranks near dead last in pass attempts every year the same reason Daniel Jones did last year… because his coaches know to protect him from himself.

If he was a good passer or slightly better passer, they would let it fly. Flacco at his best was average/good at most and Harbaugh let him lead the entire league in pass attempts.

Comparing Lamar to a developing rookie QB is not bolstering your position.

Last edited:

Lamar ranks near dead last in pass attempts every year the same reason Daniel Jones did last year… because his coaches know to protect him from himself.

If he was a good passer or slightly better passer, they would let it fly. Flacco at his best was average/good at most and Harbaugh let him lead the entire league in pass attempts.

Mac Jones has been in the League 2 years, and started the entire time (except for injury). He is not a "developing rookie QB."

Lamar is a better passer is yet to be determined sorry but what?

Developing rookie qb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back