PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Title edited] OP theorizes about Pats signing Lamar and wants to discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last 2 years he missed the last 5-6 games of the season because of injury, ravens actually proved to themselves they don't need Jackson with how they got to the playoffs this year

Why would you give up 2 1st round picks and a huge contract for a guy that has been injured the last half season half time he's been in the league. He has only 5 games with more than 275 yards passing in 60 career regular season games. Mac Jones in 30 career games has 6 games over 275 yards. In 60 career games Jackson has 25 games under a 60% completion rate. Mac Jones in 30 career games has 5 such games, so Mac is on pace to have only 10 games under 60% in 60 games. To follow up the 60% rate thing, he has 27 games of 25 or fewer pass attempts in a game. The correlation there is the more he has to throw the more exposed he is at passing. Which FYI Mac only has 3 games of 25 or fewer passes.

Give Mac time to throw and a competent OC and he's a better passer than Jackson. In Baltimore, they have had a stout OL for him and a competent nfl OC

The people that want him just want a QB that can run, which is wild given they went thru a season of Cam Newton.

I’d prefer to sign Lock or Mayfield vs paying Jackson Mahommes money and giving up picks.

Picking up Lamar is like picking up Dan Marino in his prime. Sure it might be fun for a bit, but you're not winning anything so what's the point?

While I think it more likely than not that Lamar winds up staying with the Ravens, after they choose to match the offer sheet, I think it is a possibility (probably about 10-15%) that the Patriots make Lamar an offer. 2 Firsts for an MVP QB who is only 26 (about 2 years older than Mac) is not an unbearable price. Bill O’Brien has had success with Deshaun Watson and Bryce Young, and can call and design read option plays. Bill wants to win now, they have cap space, and this is probably their best chance to get an elite QB. QB’s that run mean you can have lesser wr’s because more eyes need to be on the QB.

NE could structure a deal that is less cap friendly up front (paying out more, faster in signing bonus and first two years against the cap) that might be more attractive to Lamar and make it harder for the Ravens to match,

It is a long-shot, but I think it a long-shot worth watching- certainly more than the Tee Higgins nonsense.
No thanks. What running QB in the NFL hasn't had their career demolished by injuries? Cam Newton went from MVP to out of the league in 5 years. Pocket passers dominate the NFL because of their longevity. Teams keep trying until they find one. Longevity doesn't matter at all in the NCAA where a career might be 2 years, so running QB's can dominate with their fresh legs. But in the NFL a great pocket QB can make a team competitive for 10+ years.

Last 2 years he missed the last 5-6 games of the season because of injury, ravens actually proved to themselves they don't need Jackson with how they got to the playoffs this year

Why would you give up 2 1st round picks and a huge contract for a guy that has been injured the last half season half time he's been in the league. He has only 5 games with more than 275 yards passing in 60 career regular season games. Mac Jones in 30 career games has 6 games over 275 yards. In 60 career games Jackson has 25 games under a 60% completion rate. Mac Jones in 30 career games has 5 such games, so Mac is on pace to have only 10 games under 60% in 60 games. To follow up the 60% rate thing, he has 27 games of 25 or fewer pass attempts in a game. The correlation there is the more he has to throw the more exposed he is at passing. Which FYI Mac only has 3 games of 25 or fewer passes.
And yet if you were to rank them. Mac is near the bottom and Jackson near the top. No serious football person would put Mac in Jackson's space.
Give Mac time to throw and a competent OC and he's a better passer than Jackson. In Baltimore, they have had a stout OL for him and a competent nfl OC
Baltimores OL isn't bad but has **** the bed in critical situations. Especially in big games like playoffs where everyone wants to point at the QB. And Roman has been one of the most predictable OC in the game over the past two years. Hes fun for a year and gets old quick. Their passing game was as predictable as ours.
The people that want him just want a QB that can run, which is wild given they went thru a season of Cam Newton.
This makes no sense considering Cam struggled to hit 60% comp and tossed as many INT in one year than Lamar has in a career.

I would do it if I had more confidence he stays healthy. Also, do you have an offensive mind that could utilize his skill set? Are you going to build around him which the Pats can't even do for Mac?

We could of just drafted Lamar AJ and Deebo then we would be laughing at the rest of the league.

I have to say it doesn’t bode well that Bill said he didn’t trust Mac could get the ball in the endzone.

Jimmy G seems Houston Bound.
Rodgers to Greenbay.
Maybe a Mac trade isn’t as crazy as we once thought.

No thanks. What running QB in the NFL hasn't had their career demolished by injuries?
Running has no bearing on whether a QB will survive in this league. Theres literally 0 data to support running QB have a shorter life or get hurt more often.
Cam Newton went from MVP to out of the league in 5 years. Pocket passers dominate the NFL because of their longevity. Teams keep trying until they find one. Longevity doesn't matter at all in the NCAA where a career might be 2 years, so running QB's can dominate with their fresh legs. But in the NFL a great pocket QB can make a team competitive for 10+ years.
This makes no sense considering there arent any classic pocket passers anymore. They don't exist and aren't being drafted highly anymore.

Yes you have to throw from the pocket to win but that doesn't mean you're a pocket passer.

Mahomes is anything but a classic pocket passer. Neither is Hurts the other QB who easily could have won a SB. Burrow is the closest thing but he's not the definition either. Josh Allen and Herbert are aliens. No one would mistake them as a "pocket passer."

There's a lot of you that need catching up. I'm not trying to tell you what to think but a bunch of you keep repeating things that aren't true to make it seem you know what you're talking about.

I would love to hear all these "pocket passers" that are capable of winning a SB.

Will this happen...No...but
Patriots desperately need a star. The team last year was boring without much in the way of excitement.
Kraft will probbaly play along with the other owners who want to collude against fully guaranteed salary.

However, Kraft would be smart to direct BB to find someone with star power and playmaking abilities.

Not sure why all the negativity on this board toward Lamar. He would bring dynamic athleticism, creativity and must watch abilities to this franchise...which has been sorely missing star power since TB12 left.

Running has no bearing on whether a QB will survive in this league. Theres literally 0 data to support running QB have a shorter life or get hurt more often.

This makes no sense considering there arent any classic pocket passers anymore. They don't exist and aren't being drafted highly anymore.

Yes you have to throw from the pocket to win but that doesn't mean you're a pocket passer.

Mahomes is anything but a classic pocket passer. Neither is Hurts the other QB who easily could have won a SB. Burrow is the closest thing but he's not the definition either. Josh Allen and Herbert are aliens. No one would mistake them as a "pocket passer."

There's a lot of you that need catching up. I'm not trying to tell you what to think but a bunch of you keep repeating things that aren't true to make it seem you know what you're talking about.

I would love to hear all these "pocket passers" that are capable of winning a SB.
Michael Vick and Cam Newton say hi.

You keep making this claim that pocket QB's are dead by basically defining every pocket QB away. Burrow, Lawrence, Allen, and Herbert are great young passers who don't need to run to set up their passing. As they age and wear down they will converge on long careers and become "classic pocket passers". Lamar Jackson will likely follow the Cam Newton path and degrade as he wears down because he needs to run to be great.

Mahomes is a unicorn and will IMO surpass Brady if he stays healthy. His scrambling helps him but he's not a runner and will remain great even with injury as we've already seen. Lamar Jackson is already wearing down as we're also seeing.

Pocket passers win out in they NFL because they can play forever. Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert and Lawrence will all be playing great in 10 years as "pocket passers". Those are the QB's that you can build a team around for the long term.

They won't pay him.

My guess is, much to shock of people in this forum, that most players inthe NFL would rather play with Lamar Jackson with a new contact and BB than with Mac Jones and Cole Strange and BB. Thise 2 guys represent our last 2 firsts. N’Keal is in there two. To trade up in the early first costs more than two 1’s. It’s not like NE is majestic picking early. As Bill ages and Shula is in sight, I think he will be more willing to trade picks for proven veterans. I could be wrong; but I don’t think this is nearly as implausible as some think.
BB has had five non-playoff picks with the Pats. One was DROY, another is in the HOF, two more started in multiple SBs, and one had one of the best rookie seasons ever for a QB.

One other overlooked point: when a team signs a player to an offer sheet, that salary cap space is docked until the other team makes a decision.

So in addition to possibly alienating Mac, signing LJ to an offer sheet would hinder their ability to sign other FAs.

Running back has never been a problem in NE, they can resurrect JONES GREY

Michael Vick and Cam Newton say hi.
Michael Vick had two of his best seasons at 30 and 31.

Cam Newton had two very good seasons at 28 and 29.

If you sign Lamar to a five year deal, you are paying him while he is 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30.

It scares me when someone floats something like this. My initial reaction is the 0.0% reaction, plus a healthy dose of "great, now we're going to bet the farm on someone else's run-pass QB (running QBs break,) and this one even started breaking already."

Then I remember that the Pats will do sh** when you think you've figured it out even if it is counterintuitive in every way. Money. Draft capital. Fit. Jones alienation. And so on.

I honestly think Jones deserves a shot with a non-crazy offensive line and coaching staff. I'll take 2 rings now please, even if that makes him expensive when the rookie deal is up :D

And if that doesn't happen, at least we get to see what he's made of (with a backup in the wings who has had some NFL success too.)

Michael Vick had two of his best seasons at 30 and 31.

Cam Newton had two very good seasons at 28 and 29.

If you sign Lamar to a five year deal, you are paying him while he is 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30.
Age is irrelevant here. Jackson started SOOOOO young. It is all about milleage. Lamar already has a lot of millaege and he did not finisht he last two seasons. He is an injury risk. You do not sign him to the kind of contract he wants.

And then, there is the whole "he is not that great of a passer" thing. Can he adapt his game as he ages? Judging by his social media posts and his interviews, he does not sound like the smartest fellow around... so I doubt it.

That being said, the Ravens are doing what they should be doing right now. No way they should pay him what he wants. He is too much of a risk and the upside is not winning SBs... especially not with him taking up so much cap space and not being able to win in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back