PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titans Covid positives, first outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.
The perplexing part is I thought everyone got tested on Saturday, which suggests the virus entered the team some time after that and spread to eight people before the next test. Seems the NFL is going to have to spring for even more frequent testing?
It takes a couple of days for the virus to replicate I believe and give a positive test.

My thinking mirrors Andrew's:

It's funny how this story seems to have disappeared from Twitter since about 2:30 this afternoon. Next to none of the usual mediots are saying anything about it. It's almost as if the NFL has threatened them with triple-secret probation if they talk about it.

i
LIKELT
I bet they broke the code. All it takes is for one idiot to not follow guidelines and the season’s over.

Holy ****! People are ****in gone. Long gone, completely ****in braindead

Did their part? Unless you're in an isolated bubble, how can you possibly "do your part" when you go home to your family who come into contact with others. It's just dumb, and not realistic. They either should not have had the season or put all the players in a bubble which they can not leave, not even to see family except under urgent circumstances. Shouldn't punish the Titans for it. It's the greedy owners fault. Money this, money that.
With all due respect, obviously, it isn't "dumb" if 31 other teams (as of now) and hundreds of other players haven't had this issue. Again, we don't know how it happened but you've got the rest of the league avoiding an outbreak and something happened where someone either themselves or someone within their bubble, put themselves in position to be infected. Let's be honest, these guys all make enough money where it's not that tough for them to have their kids be schooled online this year, have their groceries delivered and do everything they can to keep themselves out of harms way during this season.

Or, to go a step further, it could even be the fault of the organization for not properly screening someone who came into the stadium and putting the people affected in position to be exposed. Either way, you can't fault the other team - which is what I was saying. They don't deserve to have their schedules disrupted if they've been able to avoid an outbreak.

Not that it matters, it's a moot point now because whatever they do here sets the precedent. This essentially proves that they may ultimately have to push out the season because this is the road they're clearly going to take (rescheduling), even if it happens again. Although it may not, Vrabel wants to play this week anyway, practice week be damned. Which if they win, would be an even better story.

Actually I meant to write 'opt in' but I think you got it.

Sure, they knew the protocols, but they had a reasonable expectation of them being effective.
Seems to me they are effective. We are in week 4 and this is their first outbreak.
The union would not need to be involved in a suit. Players got enough money to hire their own layers, ambulance chasers work on commission.
A player can hire their own lawyer, but they are still bound by the CBA and the negotiations this past summer between Management and Labor. They won't stand a rat's chance in hell in court (and it wouldn't even make it to court in the first place since they would have to go to arbitration) blaming the NFL for a global pandemic.

With all due respect, obviously, it isn't "dumb" if 31 other teams (as of now) and hundreds of other players haven't had this issue. Again, we don't know how it happened but you've got the rest of the league avoiding an outbreak and something happened where someone either themselves or someone within their bubble, put themselves in position to be infected. Let's be honest, these guys all make enough money where it's not that tough for them to have their kids be schooled online this year, have their groceries delivered and do everything they can to keep themselves out of harms way during this season.

Or, to go a step further, it could even be the fault of the organization for not properly screening someone who came into the stadium and putting the people affected in position to be exposed. Either way, you can't fault the other team - which is what I was saying. They don't deserve to have their schedules disrupted if they've been able to avoid an outbreak.

Not that it matters, it's a moot point now because whatever they do here sets the precedent. This essentially proves that they may ultimately have to push out the season because this is the road they're clearly going to take (rescheduling), even if it happens again. Although it may not, Vrabel wants to play this week anyway, practice week be damned. Which if they win, would be an even better story.
So far, Ian, So far. It comes back to the expectation of being perfect and others being perfect. It's unrealistic and it's dumb. It only takes one slip, season disrupted. Shouldn't punish the Titans for it. The corrupt 32 and NYJFL* brought this upon themselves.

So far, Ian, So far. It comes back to the expectation of being perfect and others being perfect. It's unrealistic and it's dumb. It only takes one slip, season disrupted. Shouldn't punish the Titans for it. The corrupt 32 and NYJFL* brought this upon themselves.
I don't disagree with you - but wouldn't you be upset if the Patriots saw their bye get moved up and had to play and extended stretch at the end of the season because the opponent tested positive? I think many might be a little irritated that the Patriots were able to keep themselves out of harms way and essentially had to see themselves have to completely adjust because of someone else who - unfortunately - tested positive. Fortunately, that's not the case this week and as someone pointed out, there's already been a report that in the end, fairness probably won't likely win out...but if it at some point does occur and affect the Patriots, I'm sure we'll all be a little annoyed.

I bet they broke the code. All it takes is for one idiot to not follow guidelines and the season’s over.

Do you have a line on the idiot in question?

Over/under on when NFL season is cancelled? This week? Next?

My thinking mirrors Andrew's:

It's funny how this story seems to have disappeared from Twitter since about 2:30 this afternoon. Next to none of the usual mediots are saying anything about it. It's almost as if the NFL has threatened them with triple-secret probation if they talk about it.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I was on Twitter and it was nonstop with all the Titans/Covid talk yesterday morning/early afternoon then it just stopped. I saw the memo get circulated by a few of the NFL's unofficial mouth pieces about the the league's official response and that was that. Very odd.

EDIT:

Apparently one more Titan today:

I was thinking the same exact thing. I was on Twitter and it was nonstop with all the Titans/Covid talk yesterday morning/early afternoon then it just stopped. I saw the memo get circulated by a few of the NFL's unofficial mouth pieces about the the league's official response and that was that. Very odd.

EDIT:

Apparently one more Titan today:

Good. Now quarantine those players, move those two games back to Monday if necessary, test daily if you have to, and carry on.

Love having 2 Monday Night games. That should be a more than 1x per year occurrence. Hopefully that will work. I'm beyond mad that the Steelers might benefit from this. Ridiculous.

The Vikings confirmed they had no positive tests so either they got very lucky or the players/staff who tested positive caught it after the the game.

No positive tests yet. They have no idea if they got lucky or not. It can take up to 5 days after exposure to test positive.

Good. Now quarantine those players, move those two games back to Monday if necessary, test daily if you have to, and carry on.

This seems like the right thing, at this point. To chew up bye date flexibility seems a little extreme unless a bunch more Titans test positive.

If it's only 3 players they should just keep the in person activities closed until you double checked the rest of the players and then allow them to play. Being less prepared is part of the deal. If it becomes a bigger outbreak they should forfeit. A forfeit is such a big deal that it sends a big message to all teams. It's a tough situation for TEN though because no matter what most people will think someone broke protocol when really these things can happen even if you did everything right.
There's no "double check". It can take up to 5 days after infection to test positive. A more interesting question is how contagious are you once infected but before testing positive? You may well be able to pass it on even while testing negative.

I am a bit surprised that the facilities need to be closed until Saturday and can't be available on Thursday already after 2 days of powercleaning but better to be safe than sorry.
I don't think the closure is a cleaning thing. I think it's a "keep the players apart so infected-but not-yet-testing-positive players don't infect others" thing. (When you test early enough in the course of the infection there's a real good chance of false negatives. From what I've read, the test is at its best starting about 5 days after infection.)

Because the 10-5 team did not get to play its 16th game which would make it either 11-5 or 10-6. That would be unfair to the 10-6 team that played all 16 vs the the team that only played 15 and therefore has one less loss.
Since tiebreakers are based on W-L-T percentages and not number of games, it's not remotely had to figure out tiebreakers if teams play different numbers of games.

The perplexing part is I thought everyone got tested on Saturday, which suggests the virus entered the team some time after that and spread to eight people before the next test. Seems the NFL is going to have to spring for even more frequent testing?
Testing negative doesn't mean you're not infected. If you get infected it can take several days before a test will reliably be positive.

So if a Titan got infected Thursday or Friday they easily could test negative on Saturday and Sunday.

Testing negative doesn't mean you're not infected. If you get infected it can take several days before a test will reliably be positive.

So if a Titan got infected Thursday or Friday they easily could test negative on Saturday and Sunday.
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back