PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titans Covid positives, first outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it now at the NFL offices. A bunch of chickens with their heads cut off locked in a room somewhere trying to figure this out when they had 6 months.

This was no doubt spread in the showers after the game. At least that’s my theory. I’ll have to get a closer, more *coughs* hands-on look to confirm, though.

Yeah I don't know how you can penalize the team/players who followed protocols because they just so happened to be playing a team who didn't. Really no completely fair way to reschedule this game without it negatively affecting the team that did things the right way.
Exactly. I know if it were the Chiefs and they had to move this game to the bye and force New England to play 13 straight games without a break, I'd be upset about it. Some might say it's only a two week difference, but I'm sure we'll have injured players who could use the timing of where it currently falls to recover.

This was no doubt spread in the showers after the game. At least that’s my theory. I’ll have to get a closer, more *coughs* hands-on look to confirm, though.

That slippery, pesky bar of soap.

Obviously, the problem with a forfeit is teams - I'm guessing - lose the revenue from the lack of a televised game, unless that money is guaranteed (I'm not sure how that works). Then it comes down to paying the players for a week where the game wasn't played. I don't know all the legalities of it, but I'm sure there have to be some issues they'll have to figure out.

The next issue would be if it happens in reverse where a team Tennessee or Pittsburgh is playing is hit with it since they'd have an impossible time rescheduling it if they have to have one game moved already. It might be situations like that which could ultimately cause some bigger problems down the road.

I bet they broke the code. All it takes is for one idiot to not follow guidelines and the season’s over.
They're not in a bubble. All of them interact with untested friends and family members. All it takes is one kid to pick something up and spread it to daddy.

If thats true then the Titans game on Sunday is off.

I don't know, I'd think they could at least talk through a game plan and if enough players are cleared they can still have a game.

Of course it would help if we knew who the three players were, to see how replaceable they are.

I gotta say I saw film of our post-game celebration in the locker room and said 'wtf' to myself. A bunch of pumped up guys who just were in heavy contact with a bunch of other pumped up guys outdoors, then they were all huddled together inside a closed locker room yelling 'oh yeah' in each others faces with no masks on. Seems we can skip those post game rituals in the interest of safety, no?

Honestly, it should just go down as a forfeit by Tennessee. Pittsburgh did their part, those who can’t, I feel like they’ll have to pay the price...unfortunately. At least if we plan on making it through the whole year. It’s not fair to the Steelers, as much as I dislike Tomlin, to have to have their world turned around because the other team’s players couldn’t stick to the protocols.

How will we know they didn't get it from Vikings players during the game? Unless we're expecting the players to wear masks during games and practice this is bound to happen without a bubble. Masks, etc. only reduce risk not eliminate risk. The risk will still be there, just need a vector.

Obviously, the problem with a forfeit is teams - I'm guessing - lose the revenue from the lack of a televised game, unless that money is guaranteed (I'm not sure how that works). Then it comes down to paying the players for a week where the game wasn't played. I don't know all the legalities of it, but I'm sure there have to be some issues they'll have to figure out.

The next issue would be if it happens in reverse where a team Tennessee or Pittsburgh is playing is hit with it since they'd have an impossible time rescheduling it if they have to have one game moved already. It might be situations like that which could ultimately cause some bigger problems down the road.
Good point on the lost revenue. In the end of the day we all know safety and fairness will be sacrificed for the NFL's one true love: the Almighty dollar.

How will we know they didn't get it from Vikings players during the game? Unless we're expecting the players to wear masks during games and practice this is bound to happen without a bubble. Masks, etc. only reduce risk not eliminate risk. The risk will still be there, just need a vector.
The Vikings confirmed they had no positive tests so either they got very lucky or the players/staff who tested positive caught it after the the game.

Still, the players are tested almost daily from what we saw on Hard Knocks, so it doesn't change the fact that they're the ones responsible for trying to keep themselves safe. The idea is to ensure guys on the field are hopefully clean so the game can be played safely.

My thought was they were going to be able to move guys off who contracted it and go with who they have, but not if they're shutting down the entire facility, which eliminates their preparation and regular routine. I would have thought finding this out Tuesday might have allowed them to adjust but as we're finding out, it's clearly more complicated than that.

Just send those 7 home for quarantine and get 3 players off the practice squad, shouldn't be that big a deal unless a lot more test positive.

Just send those 7 home for quarantine and get 3 players off the practice squad, shouldn't be that big a deal unless a lot more test positive.
The problem is, if they have to shut down the facility for 1-2 days and can't meet/practice. Therein lies an issue I hadn't thought of either.

Not surprising. Will be interesting too see how they handle and maneuver around it. It's going to take a lot for them to shut it down but things could get complicated.

Reactions: Ian
Not surprising. Will be interesting too see how they handle and maneuver around it. It's going to take a lot for them to shut it down but things could get complicated.
Goodell has been adamant the entire time and I'd be willing to bet he'd take forfeited games before even considering shutting things down. He's full speed ahead, so even if it gets ugly, there will be football until February.

coronavirus? Really? Are you intentionally trying to rile people up? It's such a silly thing to say and just makes whoever say it look so childish.
I already addressed it. Let's move on, please :cool:

Additionally just because no Vikings have tested positive yet doesn't mean they won't. It's only been two days. The question will be how they mess around with the schedule.

Some Titans fans are pointing something out that pushes me toward a forfeit. They have guys who are banged up and they're actually happy about this since guys will now have an extra week to recover - which again, actually gives them a competitive advantage...which isn't exactly fair.

I think a 3 team outbreak would pull the plug

Good conversation here.
Slater just keeps getting better in the locker room.
The masks worn by the coaches on the field seem less significant, fer sur. I guess it's all the symbolism of doing their part for national public health.

Reactions: Ian
Too quick of a turnaround time. If they did, I don’t think there’s any way they would test positive for it this quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore