PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tight End

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect that we will have Watson and Izzo for Game 5.

The open question is whether Belichick continues to carry LeCosse, whether he is waived/injury or whether he is simply put on IR.

Considering the contract that he signed, it seems that BB really liked him at one point. He has a contract through 2020, and we would eat $500K of dead money if we cut him.

For me, I would prefer to keep LeCosse and put Jakob on the Practice Squad.

And yes, of course, I would celebrate securing an upgrade over Izzo or over LeCosse.

I suspect once Watson returns we are likely to carry 3 tight ends and still carry a FB. I think the roster spot will come from elsewhere.

I suspect that we will have Watson and Izzo for Game 5.

The open question is whether Belichick continues to carry LeCosse, whether he is waived/injury or whether he is simply put on IR.

Considering the contract that he signed, it seems that BB really liked him at one point. He has a contract through 2020, and we would eat $500K of dead money if we cut him.

And yes, of course, I would celebrate securing an upgrade over Izzo or over LeCosse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jakob Johnson doesn't cost the Pats a roster spot at all since he is via the "Gateway to the NFL" foreign player project. If true, he's the safest guy on the roster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jakob Johnson doesn't cost the Pats a roster spot at all since he is via the "Gateway to the NFL" foreign player project. If true, he's the safest guy on the roster.

No, they waived the exemption. He had to either make the 53, or become the 11th member of the PS, without any eligibility to move up to the active roster. Thankfully, they didn't choose to use the free slot, which is why he was eligible to be activated when Develin was injured.

I would point out that after Gronk retired, very few of have thought that we would be carrying 3 TE's and a FB this year.

Bolden played FB a bit last week. I see no reason to carry Jakob on the 53.

For me, using a roster spot for a FB has always meant using a roster spot for Develin. If Develin were here, I'd be fine with Develin plus 3 TE's.

I suspect once Watson returns we are likely to carry 3 tight ends and still carry a FB. I think the roster spot will come from elsewhere.

I would point out that after Gronk retired, very few of have thought that we would be carrying 3 TE's and a FB this year.

For me, using a roster spot for a FB has always meant using a roster spot for Develin. If Develin were here, I'd be fine with Develin plus 3 TE's.

Did Bolden actually play FB though? I know that Harlon said that at the beginning of the game, but it seemed to me that he was playing more of the "2nd HB" role, like when we have White and Burkhead on the field at the same time. Was he lead blocking for some plays during the Jets game?

I don't know, but I would rather have a TE or a RB fill a FB "role" if necessary. I think that this is a better choice than using a roster spot for someone not named Develin.

Did Bolden actually play FB though? I know that Harlon said that at the beginning of the game, but it seemed to me that he was playing more of the "2nd HB" role, like when we have White and Burkhead on the field at the same time. Was he lead blocking for some plays during the Jets game?

If they were going to waive/IR LeCosse, they would have done it already, i think

as much as BB preaches to take each week at time and , it's impossible that he hasn't articulated his menagement to incorporate the fact that we have an easy schedule at the beginning. I think that is the only reason why he is ok carrying only 2 TEs now.

Low pressure environment to test something very different from last year, where we would play way more often with a 22 personnel. Gordon can do TE routes and stuff, but he isn't a TE, either.

I think we'll carry 3 TEs for the rest of the year once Ben Watson returns. Finally and as we've seen, we aren't really turning away playing-ready bodies right now

Or maybe Im wrong and they'll cut someone

I don't know, but I would rather have a TE or a RB fill a FB "role" if necessary. I think that this is a better choice than using a roster spot for someone not named Develin.

You may be right, though I have to believe they really like something in Jakob. They could have had him on the PS for free all year, but chose to forego that because they thought they might want him on the 53 sometime during the year. It may have happened sooner than they would have liked, but I doubt they feel any different about him now. That doesn't mean he has to fill the exact same role as Develin did (that's a tall ask for a rookie), but why promote him at all if the plan was to not really play him against the Jets and then stash him back on the PS?

My guess is that Dwayne Allen's knee isn't better yet - - he would be the logical choice to replace Jakob Johnson.

Doing a solid for the guy. He may be the only one in his program to play in an NFL game. Good PR is good PR, for the league, and for the patriots

.but why promote him at all if the plan was to not really play him against the Jets and then stash him back on the PS?

I mean if they didn't plan to give Jakob a shot at FB and Bolden is someone who in your own words could be doing that then why promote him in the first place ?

I don't see what makes you think Bolden can be a FB. Suggesting just because someone is a RB/ST player that he can just be used in a totally different position is a little bit disrespectful towards that position.

Doing a solid for the guy. He may be the only one in his program to play in an NFL game. Good PR is good PR, for the league, and for the patriots

Truly a BB move. :rolleyes:

Fair enough. BB definitely has a history of doing things like that, especially for guys he respects (or at least likes). Still, my money is on Jakob having a role to play this year. I guess we'll find out pretty soon either way.

Josh likes the FB if Jakob can't do it I wouldn't be shocked if they traded for someone else before not carrying one.

Josh likes the FB if Jakob can't do it I wouldn't be shocked if they traded for someone else before not carrying one.

Very few NFL teams have a FB to trade for.

Reading this thread makes me sad.

mgteich said:

Truly a BB move. :rolleyes:

I dunno luuked. Didn't he have Vinny Testaverde come in for a series at the end of his career?

What about the Flutie dropkick? Other than a SB win, I've never seen BB so animated on the sidelines as he was that moment.

BB sometimes does whimsical things when a game is in the bag. Especially if it is historically significant. The history of the NFL is very important to him. Putting the first Gateway player on the field (for just a kneel down) may have played in his mind.

I dunno luuked. Didn't he have Vinny Testaverde come in for a series at the end of his career?

What about the Flutie dropkick? Other than a SB win, I've never seen BB so animated on the sidelines as he was that moment.

BB sometimes does whimsical things when a game is in the bag. Especially if it is historically significant. The history of the NFL is very important to him. Putting the first Gateway player on the field (for just a kneel down) may have played in his mind.

I mean Jakob is a nobody. I don't really see the similarities to any Flutie and Testaverde situation there.

Last edited:
I mean Jakob is a nobody. I don't really see the similarities to any Flutie and Testaverde situation there.

He is the first player in NFL history to be enter via the International Player Pathway system.

Everybody knows Belichick is an avid NFL historian.

He's already had his two kneeldown snaps. No one is intimating whether he will stay very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft