PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Through 12 weeks.. thoughts on Gordon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playoffs are about the ability of elite players to make big plays in big moments. With Gordon, Gronk and Edelman- we have 3 of those players. (Along with TB12).

Reminds me of a way better version of 2014 Lafell

That catch Sunday was incredible - laying-out six inches from the ground and coming down with the ball.

Could be his hamstring is still a bit of a drag on his speed and explosiveness. Sometimes those hamstring injuries persist some even after you are off the injury report.

I don't start threads but I was curious what people's thoughts are on Josh Gordon after 12 weeks... I was skeptical when they made the trade but I think it has paid off this season. Do you think there is any way he is a Patriot next year?

Thanks.

He's an RFA next year (thanks, Roger), so there are basically three ways it can go:
  • He'll burn his bridges and be out of the league.
  • He'll be a Patriot in 2019 for about $5M.
  • The Patriots will have an extra first- (most likely) or second-round pick.
I'm hoping for #2.

As I predicted.... when weanies like felgah were crying about it and all the media and followers were yapping about his past....

I stated that the combination of Brady belichick and Gordon would have a positive outcome... This is what we have ... although not perfect. His usage has been limited but Brady has shown ability to find him. This combination when healthy IS RIDICULOUSLY TALENTED.. the funny thing being all the whining before about receivers... hahaha. Gordon Edelman Hogan, gronk, white, Patterson is about as deadly as humanly possible..

That is.. if Brady and mcD can manage to harness this talent into a functioning productive mix. Come on guys you can do it.. !! The brain cramp against Tennessee was wake up call.. hopefully it has resumed as trending upward now approaching December and the biggest games.

Josh Gordon is who what we thought he was, a pretty good receiver, who will only get better in this offense.

My vote is he stay with the NEP on a 2-3 year contract, with caveats for avoiding whatever he needs to avoid.

Stay sober my friend...

See, for me, he’s exceeding my expectations, so I may actually feel the opposite. I was concerned that he wouldn’t be able to pick up the system as quickly and may not buy into the Patriot Way.

Have we ever seen a WR contribute so much without having the benefit of an offseason? He’s an in-season acquisition. Pretty impressive, thus far.
Agree 100%

Excluding Deion in 2010 I can't think of anyone who has contributed at this level since BB has been running things

I guess I agree with this. I was really down on him after Tennessee. Didn't think he got separation and didn't fight for the ball. This week he was great. I think some of the improvements came from the routes called for him this week. I don't care for him on Gronk type contested catches but he has great hands when uncontested

You were only down on him after the titans game?

Since the Chicago game his pace over 16 games would have him with 70 rec 1353 yards which 1353 would have him top 5 all-time single season for Pats

Welker 1569 (2011)
Moss 1493 (2007)
Morgan 1491 (1986)
Welker 1354 (2012)
Welker 1348 (2009)
Gronk 1327 (2010)

I started at Chicago because at that point he had been practicing in the system for 4 weeks

Thanks - I would have never guessed. Very impressive.

He has been a solid contributor despite being elsewhere during the summer training camp and that is an accomplishment. Think of Ocho-Cinco, Joey Galloway, Aaron Dobson, and a whole lengthy cast of characters that were drafted or signed here and never figured out the scheme well enough to contribute.

* His off the field behavior has been exemplary so far. (Knocks on wood)

Knocks on wood??:confused: Thought you'd be more like scratch on wood. :D

He's an RFA next year (thanks, Roger), so there are basically three ways it can go:
  • He'll burn his bridges and be out of the league.
  • He'll be a Patriot in 2019 for about $5M.
  • The Patriots will have an extra first- (most likely) or second-round pick.
I'm hoping for #2.
I’m hoping they leverage #2 into a good four or even five year deal. Give him a bump over that $5MM for next year, modest raises year to year and major incentives with little to no hit if they choose to walk away at any time. Maybe add a good behavior clause that requires him to spend the off season couch surfing between Brady’s pad and Belichick’s boat...

More than what I ever expected (picked up the Pats playbook, great hands, well behaved, some amazing catches and a consistently good WR who has made up for the loss of Cooks production).

The Patriots really lucked out and he honestly saved our season. Relying on Dorsett/Hogan/Patterson would have been 2006 levels of problematic. Gordon slots everyone into their rightful position, is an elite (though still understandably rusty) talent and still gives us a prayer when Gronk is out.

I’m hoping they leverage #2 into a good four or even five year deal. Give him a bump over that $5MM for next year, modest raises year to year and major incentives with little to no hit if they choose to walk away at any time. Maybe add a good behavior clause that requires him to spend the off season couch surfing between Brady’s pad and Belichick’s boat...

The key point here is that the RFA tender, unlike the franchise tag, is not guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back