Status
Not open for further replies.
thrive: to prosper or flourish

tank: to fail completely

so

“Thrive and Tank” : to prosper or flourish and fail completely

Now I’m scared

Tanking isn't in BB's DNA.

No need to tank. If you’re team is bad, they’ll do it for you.

Last edited:
Would you throw a season to get a top pick, then be able to angle trades for multiple firsts and really get one of the heaviest 1st/2nd round draft hauls you’ve had in years?

It’s more than one player. 33 is like effectively what our 1st round pick has been in the ballpark of pretty much the entire last decade.

Even if you’re convinced Stidham is the guy, imagine the haul you get if you decide to trade it so someone can jump up and grab Lawrence ? Colts basically rebuilt their team doing that not even for the top guy in the draft.

If you really don’t think you are going to win. There’s a lot more utility in doing that then fighting tooth an nail for a 6-10 to 9-7 record

Once again, Belichick simply does not believe in creating a culture of losing. You can’t ask players to work their asses off all offseason, and then betray them by trying to lose on purpose. You can’t expect players, whose livelihood depends on their tape to get paid, to go out and deliberately play poorly so the franchise might get a prospect they want. And you can’t teach a team to lose on purpose and then magically turn them into winners. You can clean house of the high paid players who might not be around when you are championship level again, and I thought Belichick might go that route if Brady left, especially given the dead money they already have, but that doesn’t appear to be the approach Belichick is taking. Instead it appears that Belichick’s approach to the postBrady era is the same approach he used when he took over the Patriots, only this time he re-signed team leaders instead of importing them from previous stints. He is keeping the leaders who can teach young players how to be champions, and he will take the opportunity to fix the cap and fill holes through the draft and future free agencies. The difference this time is that while he has a big question at QB, his team on the whole is much better than the one he inherited from Pete Carroll. There are big holes at TE and WR, but the OL and RB units are strong. And their defense, while weakened in free agency, still has the look of a top 10 defense, with and exceptional secondary.

Overall it should fascinating to see how he goes about it, and whether he can actually replace Brady, and after the 20 year Dynasty we just enjoyed I’m completely willing to cut him as much slack as he needs to get back to the top. And as much as I love Brady I think Belichick is far more likely to get the 7th Lombardi.

Oh my post didn't age well. I'm not holding out for this year's squad to win - if there is even a season.
IF we do not win the Super Bowl, I'll take a 1975 type season.

Young players got some immeasurably valuable playing time and game experience; the veterans and youngsters gained some familiarity and continuity, and the foundation was set for long term success.

It was not a successful season from a win-loss standpoint, but otherwise there was a ton of promise.

3-4 year rebuilds are less prevalent than 20-30 years ago.

Many teams jump right to the top when things fall into place.

With one post-Tom season under our belts, and with all that cap space next year, I expect 2021 to be a big year for us.

Last edited:
Once again, Belichick simply does not believe in creating a culture of losing. You can’t ask players to work their asses off all offseason, and then betray them by trying to lose on purpose. You can’t expect players, whose livelihood depends on their tape to get paid, to go out and deliberately play poorly so the franchise might get a prospect they want. And you can’t teach a team to lose on purpose and then magically turn them into winners. You can clean house of the high paid players who might not be around when you are championship level again, and I thought Belichick might go that route if Brady left, especially given the dead money they already have, but that doesn’t appear to be the approach Belichick is taking. Instead it appears that Belichick’s approach to the postBrady era is the same approach he used when he took over the Patriots, only this time he re-signed team leaders instead of importing them from previous stints. He is keeping the leaders who can teach young players how to be champions, and he will take the opportunity to fix the cap and fill holes through the draft and future free agencies. The difference this time is that while he has a big question at QB, his team on the whole is much better than the one he inherited from Pete Carroll. There are big holes at TE and WR, but the OL and RB units are strong. And their defense, while weakened in free agency, still has the look of a top 10 defense, with and exceptional secondary.

Overall it should fascinating to see how he goes about it, and whether he can actually replace Brady, and after the 20 year Dynasty we just enjoyed I’m completely willing to cut him as much slack as he needs to get back to the top. And as much as I love Brady I think Belichick is far more likely to get the 7th Lombardi.

I couldn’t agree more with your post. I don’t see BB going out and tanking either. My thinking is BB can use these next two drafts to replenish this roster with youth. If Jarret stidham doesn’t have a good showing this year and we end up with a higher pick in next years draft then we can either take one of the elite qb prospects next year or we can move down with a team who is willing to give up a fortune to get ahold of them.

Honestly I think we need to trade up this year and grab Tua or Herbert. Then we have about $100 million in cap space for 2021. Franchise QB's are tough to find.

Honestly I think we need to trade up this year and grab Tua or Herbert. Then we have about $100 million in cap space for 2021. Franchise QB's are tough to find.

Problem with this is that it also requires Belichick to be willing to do something he's never done before.

Trading up for Tua or Herbert would require mortgaging at least their 1st rounder next year. But in 20 years of drafting in New England, he has never used a future-year pick to move up in a draft. Not even a 7.

Problem with this is that it also requires Belichick to be willing to do something he's never done before.

Trading up for Tua or Herbert would require mortgaging at least their 1st rounder next year. But in 20 years of drafting in New England, he has never used a future-year pick to move up in a draft. Not even a 7.

The Pats aren't going to suck enough to get Lawrence. So if we don't get one of these guys this year, when will we find our stud franchise QB? That's my worry.

The Pats aren't going to suck enough to get Lawrence. So if we don't get one of these guys this year, when will we find our stud franchise QB? That's my worry.

I'm not arguing it can't happen, merely that it would require Belichick to make, arguably, an even bigger gamble than the one he made on Antonio Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back