PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My observation of Hunt is that he's a good example of a "system" back. If he were to leave this offense and go to any other offense, he'd struggle. A lot of his runs are out of trickery and diversion. I haven't seen him run that great when it's straight up.

Miller is garbage.

Mixon is okay. Nothing special.

Yeah, the NFC is loaded with good backs.

Yeah Hunt's a hard one to peg given the KC offense, I might have to think about that some more.

Also Nick Chubb was covered in the posts above but I think he has the potential to be a dominant RB in this league. Too early to tell at this point but keep an eye on him.

Martin was consistent...not breakaway. He was a 25 carry/80-90 yard a game guy 16 games a season. The biggest mistake he ever made was falling for the snake oil Parcells was selling. New Jersey did nothing for his brand except affix it to a fanbase of trog losers.His dependability was his hallmark.

I blame Martin for leaving as much as I blame Tuna Sh!t. He could have stayed here if he wanted.

If Martin had a weakness it was his lack of power down at the goal line. His shiftiness didn't help in the red zone. It's one of things that I like about Michel.

Martin did make the HOF though. Who knows? He might not have if he stayed here.

I don't want Sony to fumble:confused:

Sorry that's what I remember most about Ridley sadly.:(
Yea thats what I remember too.

Especially that knockout hit by Pollard in which he dropped the ball as he was out cold.

The video took me back. Martin and Shawn Jefferson were my original favorite players back when I was just a 10 year old jitterbug.

Every time I think of Shawn Jefferson I see him blowing past a Packers DB in the SB, only to have Bledsoe throw up a wounded duck off his back foot and under throw Jefferson by 20 yards for a pick.

I think only Hunt and Gordon are clearly above Michel in the AFC. Other RBs might be slightly ahead of him but you can make an argument for Michel over the likes of Miller, Mixon, etc. if you wanted to.

That's an insane take, so I hope you're trolling. Even Zolak, homer that he is, had Michel at about 9th in the AFC.

That's an insane take, so I hope you're trolling. Even Zolak, homer that he is, had Michel at about 9th in the AFC.

Yeah I get my kicks trolling the Sony Michel thread. And I conspired with Rainmaker to do it since he already agreed with me.

Which AFC RBs do you think are "clearly" ahead of Michel?

I just want him to stop being folded like a wallet
Yeah i know what you mean. For what ever reason he gets into some really ugly pile ups where hes twister and bent in ways that the human body was never meant to be folded, bent or twisted.

Yeah i know what you mean. For what ever reason he gets into some really ugly pile ups where hes twister and bent in ways that the human body was never meant to be folded, bent or twisted.

They need to teach him how to Turtle up when the going gets tough.

They need to teach him how to Turtle up when the going gets tough.
Agree. He doesn't quite know when to fight for yards and when to preserve himself.

To me, his running style is a lot like Edgerrin James's. After his knee injury he learned to avoid the hits when appropriate.

Yeah I get my kicks trolling the Sony Michel thread. And I conspired with Rainmaker to do it since he already agreed with me.

Which AFC RBs do you think are "clearly" ahead of Michel?
In terms of rushing stats, Michael is exactly 9th on the list. I'd take Michel over Gore, Phillip Lindsey and possibly Joe Mixon. Michel would be higher on this list had he not got injured against the Bears.

Gordon is having his best year, but hes first few years are debatable on how effective he actually was.

Top 3 in the AFC are Conner, Hunt and Gordon. The rest are debatable.

The last full season Martin was with the Pats in '96 was fun to watch. Along with the Jaguars, they were the "Cinderella" team and couldn't believe when the Jags beat the Broncos in the divisional round.

Count me in as someone being obsessed with Martin's career after he went to the Jets. He ran behind some big time O-lines which contributed to taking his career to another level after he left the Pats.

If I'm not mistaken, the Pats low balled Martin before he became a free agent? I believe their reasoning of letting him go was because had they resigned him, they wouldn't have been able to keep McGinest, Ty Law and other key pieces on D. Plus they had a few bad contracts on the O-line.

As I said above, the '96 was really fun. But they were lucky to even be in the Super Bowl against the Packers. They put up a good fight, but they were clearly overrmatched as Reggie White single handedly took the game over.

Actually, Parcells wrote a poison pill contract that later became illegal. Thanks Bill.

What number does he have Lewis?

Actually, Parcells wrote a poison pill contract that later became illegal. Thanks Bill.
Mike Tannenbaum actually came up with that after being pushed by Parcells to find a way to fit him under the cap.

I was referring to before Martin hit free agency.

Agree. He doesn't quite know when to fight for yards and when to preserve himself.

To me, his running style is a lot like Edgerrin James's. After his knee injury he learned to avoid the hits when appropriate.

It took Welker and Edelman awhile to figure out that they could preserve themselves and still tack 1-3 yards onto the end of every catch simply by getting real low and diving forward just before contact.

That said, this season so far, Edelman appears to be playing with wild abandon and significantly less regard for self-preservation than in the past.

That said, this season so far, Edelman appears to be playing with wild abandon and significantly less regard for self-preservation than in the past.
I’m sure he got an earful from more than one person on that first long catch/run where he came down hard on his hip. That could have been ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back