Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
We played and won. That is a 100% success. How we won, whether it 3-0, 80-0 or 77-76 doesnt count more or less.

Colvin looked EXCELLENT.
Maroney will be a sure fire superstar in this league. Damn he runs with urgency.
Caldwell did his job.
The secondary was good, but for one drive.
The defense allowed 10 points. McGahee was 20-70, and that was 19-55 (less than 3.0) plus one 15 yard run.
Gostokowski is 1-1 in clutch kicks.
Rodney is not yet 100% but looks like he will be soon.
TBC made a couple of nice plays.
Faulk = winning football player, as does Troy Brown.
OL was fantastic in run blocking, struggled vs the pass rush.
If we run for 5 yards a pop, and 180 yards every week, no one will beat us. Personally, I think BBs wish all along has been to be a dominant running team, couple that with his defense and be unbeatable. Until now we couldnt run well enough often enough to lean so heavily on the run. If we can, we will.

This team is reminding me of 2004 on offense, and 2003 on defense, so far.
Of course, in the first half it looked like the FIRST GAME of 2003.

Keep this thought in the forefront of your mind: The Patriot dynasty has not revolved around doing any one thing with consistant dominance. It has not revolved around blowing people out of games.
It has revolved around: MAKING PLAYS THAT DECIDE THE GAME WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. NO TEAM HAS BEEN BETTER AT THAT OVER 5 YEARS THAN THE PATS OF 01-05. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS LEADING UP TO THE GAME DECIDING PLAY; THEY MAKE IT. What to take from today is that this quality, the rarest in a team, still exists.

AndyJohnson said:
We played and won. That is a 100% success. How we won, whether it 3-0, 80-0 or 77-76 doesnt count more or less.

Colvin looked EXCELLENT.
Maroney will be a sure fire superstar in this league. Damn he runs with urgency.
Caldwell did his job.
The defense allowed 10 points. McGahee was 20-70, and that was 19-55 (less than 3.0) plus one 15 yard run.
If we run for 5 yards a pop, and 180 yards every week, no one will beat us. Personally, I think BBs wish all along has been to be a dominant running team, couple that with his defense and be unbeatable. Until now we couldnt run well enough often enough to lean so heavily on the run. If we can, we will.

Keep this thought in the forefront of your mind: The Patriot dynasty has not revolved around doing any one thing with consistant dominance. It has not revolved around blowing people out of games.
It has revolved around: MAKING PLAYS THAT DECIDE THE GAME WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. NO TEAM HAS BEEN BETTER AT THAT OVER 5 YEARS THAN THE PATS OF 01-05. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS LEADING UP TO THE GAME DECIDING PLAY; THEY MAKE IT. What to take from today is that this quality, the rarest in a team, still exists.

BB Quote: "Situational football, fellas. Situations...situations, situations....."

What I take from today is that we will need to string two good halves together to beat a decent team.

And that we need to try to improve in a lot of areas day by day.

NEM said:
1-0 is the only stat that counts.

That won't be BB's attitude in the locker room.

He'll go to great lenghts (not that I think he needs to - this team knows) that they were just 2 points better than a bad Buffalo team.

No doubt there are a bunch of positives to take from this game - but I tend not to want to get too high after a win or too low after a loss

BB's rubbed off on me after all these years.

AndyJohnson said:

Colvin looked EXCELLENT.
Caldwell did his job.

You forgot excellent adjustments by BB and staff at half time to slow down the Bills pass rush and actually give Tom time to throw.

I think its clear that we are all happy to escape with the win. And I think its clear that the players know they played sloppy at times and need to improve big time from their mistakes.

I unfortunately didnt get to see the game as I was in the air flying all day, so its tough to judge how they looked besides reading on here and the game recaps.
regardless, every year we have tough sloppy wins and I would much rather have them early in the year when the team is still coming together than later in the year when we should be clicking on all cylinders.
Again, I did not see the game and have the opportunity to be frustrated and happy with things, but you have to take a big positive as many people have said, in not playing a great complete game (especially by brady, who we all know will be more than fine) and still getting a win against a division rival on opening day when really anything can happen. its the first game of both teams regulars playing and both teams will change significantly for better or worse as the season progresses.
Regardless, when tomorrow morning comes and we are 1-0 I will be A LOT happier than us being 0-1

JoeSixPat said:
That won't be BB's attitude in the locker room.

He'll go to great lenghts (not that I think he needs to - this team knows) that they were just 2 points better than a bad Buffalo team.

No doubt there are a bunch of positives to take from this game - but I tend not to want to get too high after a win or too low after a loss

BB's rubbed off on me after all these years.

This is by far and away the most accurate thing I've read all night. People around here are absolutely pumped that we played one good half of football against a 5-11 team. :rolleyes:

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
This is by far and away the most accurate thing I've read all night. People around here are absolutely pumped that we played one good half of football against a 5-11 team. :rolleyes:

What is with people and bringing up last years record? As if the same exact team is on the field this year? Pats in 2000...2001? pats in 2002...2003?

I'm not so sure it's fair to call this Buffalo team a 5-11 team. Losman wasn't spectacular, but he did throw fewer picks than our QB. Their defence, particularily the pass rush, was very good. I'm not saying they're gonna come on and challenge us for the division title, but they're not slouches, either.

That said, I think we had a brutal game, but I trust BB (and to some degree Brady) to beat some sense into the guilty parties. Possibly including the front office to get us better wideouts... :(

Last edited:
Glad I stayed home and watched on TV.....if I was at that game I would've tried to axe murder freakin' Light.

Whiff Whiffington...hey, nice cut block Matt...oh wait...it doesn't work if the defender just jumps over your stupid ***** and murders our QB....don't worry though, that Buffalo LB Schobel just made an extra mil in salary on his next chance at a deal....just use the ol' Light Whiffomatic highlights..."there he is Matt!!!! Right there!!!! Right in front of you!!! See him!!!! RIGHT THERE!!!!! LINED UP RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!"........whiffffffffffffffffffffff.....

Hey, you know what? That stuff gets old really fast. A left tackle makes three bad plays out of 50, he has to listen to some 108-lb. dweeb on the internet call him the "Whiffinator"?

And by the way Aaron Schoebel is a DE, not a linebacker.

Glad we are 1-0 , Glad we have a running game, glad Rosevelt Colvin is going to be a force in the pass rush, glad Rodney is making a good comeback, Glad we have Seau... Not glad that passing game is a concern...

5 Rings for Brady!! said:

Gosh, you really like to mischaracterize other people's positions, don't you?

With a credible passing threat, this team could run for 300 yds...
Look at the BILLs Defense, it is VERY GOOD.
When are players return to the line up we will rock.

It looked to me as if the Pats were trying to make adjustments during the entire first half. Dante had the O-line at the end of the bench after every offensive series. He was talking and writing constantly.

I would prefer a sloppy win than a sloppy loss.. Overall there is nothing wrong here, they played fine, made some changes and will be a force. The D is fine, Hobbs shut down Evans, the D line and Linebackers played well, Harrison looked fine. Defensively there were so many players Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Vrabel, Seau in fact the whole crew. Offensively the RB's looked great, and now opposing teams will have to game plan for the run.. TE's fine, Gostowski so far fine and not sure about our WR sitz yet, but #12 needs to show he is more confident in them. I never think the first game indicates all that much, but a W is better than a L.

I have to add props to Faulk for that great diving catch. Wow. He drives me nuts with his fumbles but overall he's a great player at what he does. The holdout couldn't have looked better on that catch - without which we likely lose the game.

AndyJohnson said:

Colvin looked EXCELLENT.
Caldwell did his job.

I agree with most of your points, except "Colvin looked EXCELLENT"
he was a force on the pass rush, but he cot pushed around on running plays, I know his strength is the pass rush be still has to be able to turn a run back inside once in a while.
A side from the team coming out flat they bounced back and showed their trademark resolve in the end. It was obvious it was week one, I think it was evident around the league.
I think O'callaghan had a rough first half be rebounded nicely in the second.

My thoughts on the game:

* The one thing that I was never concerned about going into this game was pass protection. I couldn't have been more wrong. That was the biggest issue with NE offensively.

* However, the running game, both blocking and running, was very good. To make a comparison, NE rushed for 183 yards even though they only had a 2 point lead for 8 minutes (and that lead was only 2 points) and they were behind by 10 points for almost 2 full quarters. Indy, on the other hand, never trailed and lead by 16 at one point and only rushed for 55 yards. NYG's rush D is better than the Bills, but that does not account for the 130 yard disparity. The rush O is a serious threat.

* All in all, I am still not concerned about the O-line at all. 4 of 5 are known entities and the other can be replaced with a decent option if he shows incapable. Buffalo took round one, but sometimes teams are just a little more fired up. I honestly think that NE will dominate that team the next time they face off.

* Buffalo's first defensive call was a great call. Nobody was ready for the blitz.

* I still am concerned about NE's WRs, but I am very optimistic. All they need is one receiver, be it Gabe, Jackson or Branch, to come in and push all the others down to make this a decent corps. The biggest problem right now is that both of the strengths are on the inside of the field. If they can get one guy that the defense worries about 1:1 coverage, that will stretch the field horizontally in a way that it isn't right now. If both Gabe and Jackson eventually step in as the #1 and #2, then no one will worry about Branch.

* That 4th and two call was ballsy. I actually thought they would kick the FG because the lead was only 2 points. If Buffalo had stuffed it, they would have only been 35 or so yards away from a makable game winning FG. Had the lead been 3 or more, I wouldn;t have had any concern.

* Again, I think it might be a matter of Buffalo being a little more "fired up" than NE, but I was surprised at how easily Buffalo was running between the tackles early in the game. Some of biggest holes were right between Seymour and Wilfork, and I thought they would be lucky to get 15 yards there all game. It seemed to me that there was a good amount of success between Seymour and TBC as well.

* I loved how Colvin took it upon himself to encourage the team and the crowd. Calling for crowd noise when the D had not earned it yet, the next two plays were a sack and a tipped pass, both by Roosevelt.

* I am very optimistic about this team, and I will admit to seeing things a little rosy, but I wouldn't be concerned about the team because of this game. Just in case you don't recall, NE usually startw out a little slow. Even ignoring the 2003 opener, there are many examples of this. For example:

1) Said 2003's home opener was against a bad NYJ team that had lost Chad in the PS. NY held NE to 14 offensive points lost 21-14. They also had a dropped TD by Chrebet (I believe) on a drive that ended with no points.

2) IN 2004 Indy ran all over NE. They topped 200 yards and 5 yards a pop. NE had a couple big plays (Bruschi's diving int, Edge's fumbles, Willie's sack) but otherwise the D was terrible.

Because NE is such a game plan heavy team, they will start slowly until enough game film is created to get a good read on their opposition. Expect the Jet game this Sunday to be pretty close for this same reason. Again, they will beat the Bills handily the next time they face, count on it.

I have a few more thoughts, but I have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back