PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is why you should appreciate Patricia and Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So many people are batsh1t crazy right now with anger and second guessing. The coaching staff was outcoached, yes. They also gave up 41 points to an Eagles team that just scored 38 on the Vikings, who were probably the best defense in the NFL.

But this is exactly why you should appreciate the Patriots coaching staff rather than point fingers. Simply put, this was a very subpar front 6/ front 7 that was nowhere near championship caliber. That they led the league in points allowed from Week 5 to Week 17 is absolutely remarkable. We hang our hats on guys like Deatrich Wise and Marquise Flowers, who may be slightly above average talent-wise. Malcolm Brown is notable because he is far and away the best run-stuffer and nose tackle/DT on the defensive line, but he is far from an elite NFL player. Trey Flowers is a very good pass rusher, but he isn't sniffing all-pro honors. 39-year old James Harrison wasn't a luxury pickup; he was a necessity. On the linebacking unit, Kyle Van Noy is a solid player but certainly not spectacular, while guys like Elandon Roberts are basically JAG players who are inconsistent because that's what JAG players are.

Name one player outside of the secondary who can really influence the game on a consistent basis.

Did I mention that from Week 5 to Week 17, this was the best PPG in the entire league? Have you seen the talent on some of these other top-5 scoring defenses?

Blame the personnel decisions (Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Jabal Sheard, draft busts); blame injuries (Dont'a Hightower, Derek Rivers) or retirement (Rob Ninkovich), but it's crazy to blame the coaches at this point. They shouldn't have even been in this game with the overall talent in that defensive unit.

So many people are batsh1t crazy right now with anger and second guessing. The coaching staff was outcoached, yes. They also gave up 41 points to an Eagles team that just scored 38 on the Vikings, who were probably the best defense in the NFL.

But this is exactly why you should appreciate the Patriots coaching staff rather than point fingers. Simply put, this was a very subpar front 6/ front 7 that was nowhere near championship caliber. That they led the league in points allowed from Week 5 to Week 17 is absolutely remarkable. We hang our hats on guys like Deatrich Wise and Marquise Flowers, who may be slightly above average talent-wise. Malcolm Brown is notable because he is far and away the best run-stuffer and nose tackle/DT on the defensive line, but he is far from an elite NFL player. Trey Flowers is a very good pass rusher, but he isn't sniffing all-pro honors. 39-year old James Harrison wasn't a luxury pickup; he was a necessity. On the linebacking unit, Kyle Van Noy is a solid player but certainly not spectacular, while guys like Elandon Roberts are basically JAG players who are inconsistent because that's what JAG players are.

Name one player outside of the secondary who can really influence the game on a consistent basis.

Did I mention that from Week 5 to Week 17, this was the best PPG in the entire league? Have you seen the talent on some of these other top-5 scoring defenses?

Blame the personnel decisions (Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Jabal Sheard, draft busts); blame injuries (Dont'a Hightower, Derek Rivers) or retirement (Rob Ninkovich), but it's crazy to blame the coaches at this point. They shouldn't have even been in this game with the overall talent in that defensive unit.

So you are saying Belichick the Gm screwed over Belichick the coach?

Subpar front 7? Yes.

It's also a subpar secondary when you bench your CB2 for the Super Bowl. So it's pretty tough for me to appreciate anything this morning. Maybe in a few months, but not right now.

they were here because of Brady. being able to sustain offensive drives, keep defense off the field and not make costly turnovers contribute to defense's efficiency. i dont think any other QB this year would have allowed the defense the affordability to bend but not break...

I'll be the first to say we need to draft defense in the first 3 rounds, not a Brady successor. We are undertalented in the front 7, for sure.

No. Fuc.k that. Belichick lives by the motto of how the past doesn’t matter so forget everything he’s done in the past. It’s all about what you’ve done for me lately. And lately HE made the most absurdity stupid coaching decision of his career and cost us a Super Bowl. And his smug arrogant ass won’t even give us an explanation as to why. Fuc.k him

Truth is without Brady we don't make the playoffs. Without Brady's MVP season we might not win 5 games. We should appreciate Brady for taking an offense that lost it
s best WR in JE11, an o-line that took half the season to gel, an offense that saw it's top 3 targets get injured at key times in Gronk (Jags game, suspension), Cooks (SB) and Hogan (out for a stretch late in the season) and carried them to the SB. Combine that with a def that was 3rd worst in yards allowed, that is why you appreciate Brady

But this is exactly why you should appreciate the Patriots coaching staff rather than point fingers.

The two parts in bold would seem to be contradictory.

No. Fuc.k that. Belichick lives by the motto of how the past doesn’t matter so forget everything he’s done in the past. It’s all about what you’ve done for me lately. And lately HE made the most absurdity stupid coaching decision of his career and cost us a Super Bowl. And his smug arrogant ass won’t even give us an explanation as to why. Fuc.k him

Be careful. The Bill lovers will call you a troll & you'll be blasted.

Every word you said is spot on. Frankly, he was awful last night.

The two parts in bold would seem to be contradictory.

They are contradictory. What I was trying to say is that we take for granted how big the coaching advantage typically is.

They are contradictory. What I was trying to say is that we take for granted how big the coaching advantage typically is.

Ok, but a thread title that's "This is why..." is probably not the way to go with a "Yeah, they sucked ass last night, but they're usually good" theme on the day after the defense was atrocious in a Super Bowl loss that never should have happened.

Because what happened last night most certainly is not why....

Deatrich Wise was top 3 in the league among rookies in Sacks.

Malcolm Butler was a 2nd team All-Pro CB dating back as early as 2016.

They played a combined 6 snaps on defense.

I’m fairly new to the board, what does JAG stand for?

it's all brady, has been for a while now...last night certainly was proof

Your damn right F' him! They come up with fraud excuses why a player doesn't play.
End of the day, you want to get back at Malcolm Butler, use him, win and then send him packing. Instead BB is the one who got used and he did it to himself.

I'll be the first to say we need to draft defense in the first 3 rounds, not a Brady successor. We are undertalented in the front 7, for sure.

I won't be the second. I'd rather see two picks on the front 7, a QB, and an OT.

The thing about the Butler benching is that, for the most part, it "worked" in the secondary. Gilmore and Rowe were decent all night (after taking Rowe off Alshon and putting Gilmore on him). What really killed us is probably the lack of team chemistry with a last minute shakeup like this and having Jordan ****ing Richards on the field. Honestly. I don't care that he's a safety and you thought a safety would be a better matchup. He was awful last night and Butler in any one of his snaps would have been much better. The defense was a complete disappointment. I thought the best thing they did all night was allow Philly to score with 2 minutes left and give the offense the chance to go down and win it. Unfortunately Philly's defense managed to show up for at least one play and that was the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft