PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is going to be an exciting draft because:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Since1971

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Not only do we have an abundance of picks with 6 in first three rounds but it is impossible to know where players will end up being drafted. Players fall and move up and it is impossible to predict.

I think most of us pre-draft last year would have expected Aaron Hernandez to be a second round pick and Jermaine Cunningham to be a 4th round pick. As we know it turned out the opposite. Gronkoski was taken in 2nd round. Most people on this board questioned us taking him at all with the back injury.

I think this year is going to very exciting, I'm hoping to see Cam Jordan or Brooks Reed added to our roster.

Last edited:
Not only do we have an abundance of picks with 6 in first three rounds but it is impossible to know where players will end up being drafted. Players fall and move up and it is impossible to predict.

I think most of us pre-draft last year would have expected Aaron Hernandez to be a second round pick and Jermaine Cunningham to be a 4th round pick. As we know it turned out the opposite. Gronkoski was taken in 2nd round. Most people on this board questioned us taking him at all with the back injury.

I think this year is going to very exciting, I'm hoping to see Cam Jordan or Brooks Reed added to our roster.

In addition to the number of early picks and BB willingness to trade. I think the most exciting aspect of this draft is just the unknowns, such as CBA, no free agent signings before the draft, etc. Just don't know how the dumber teams will react. For example, now there is a lot of talk about 3 may be 4 QBs going in first round and at least 6 total in first 2 rounds. I think this helps Pats.:D

One of the interesting things about this draft is that it's more uncertain than usual. Let's face it, there is not a clear cut number one pick-everything you read and hear says that Cam Newton will go number one and that may happen-would be good for the Patriots-although I'm not sold that he's even the best QB in the draft. If the possible QB run happens in the first round, then the Patriots chances of getting a top-flight player at 17 increases-let's hope that happens.

So,the exciting part for me in this draft, other than all the picks the Pats have in the first three rounds, is who is going to fall into the mid to lower part of the first round for the Pats to pick. It'll also be fun to see how BB wheels and deals his way around the draft board-always is for me. It'll also be interesting to see what happens with pick 33 after the first night.

In addition to the number of early picks and BB willingness to trade. I think the most exciting aspect of this draft is just the unknowns, such as CBA, no free agent signings before the draft, etc. Just don't know how the dumber teams will react. For example, now there is a lot of talk about 3 may be 4 QBs going in first round and at least 6 total in first 2 rounds. I think this helps Pats.:D

I think the QB feeding frenzy is very likely. Several teams love Ponder, Dalton is getting some late 1/early 2 consideration, Tennessee supposedly loves Kaepernick.

To me it's one of the most exciting drafts ever because there is no true clear cut #1 choice....it can be one of six picks and it would almost be impossible to predict the exact drafting in the top ten.....whereas most years many could get at least 5 right...I think it's going to be a wild one.

There will be a player drafted in the top ten that was expected to be drafted in the lower 20s......lot of surprises awaits us.

BTW..I am looking forward to the legendary Andre Tippett announcing our 3rd and 4th selections of the draft at the draft.

One of the biggest questions I have is how teams draft, given that there are a ton of free agents, that no one has been able to sign waiting for a new CBA. Not to mention a few trades that could be made for signed players.

Take the QB position alone. How would the Kolb, McNabb, Young and others affect how teams draft in the first round of this draft?

I think the QB feeding frenzy is very likely. Several teams love Ponder, Dalton is getting some late 1/early 2 consideration, Tennessee supposedly loves Kaepernick.
I'm certainly hoping that there will be a run on quarterbacks, and there's a good chance that could happen when you look at the number of teams with question marks at the position. The more quarterbacks that are drafted early the better, as that will mean quality players at other positions will still be available for the Pats later.

Another thing that could happen is one of those teams in need of a QB might draft a player at another position in the first round, then look to trade up for a QB late in the first. The Pats could trade down and add an early 2012 pick in that scenario.

Lots of teams will be drafting for need since no free agents can be signed. The teams who have fewer holes can draft BPA and really take advantage. I also see weaker teams panicking and overpaying for this years picks due to being afraid of not filling out their rosters and the new draft pick pay scale. Pats will be trading more than normal for future picks, let teams commit their empty spots to draft picks and get veteran free agents at a fraction of their normal cost. Pats also must realize that the draft is likely weaker due to a lot of talent coming out the last couple of years.

To me it's one of the most exciting drafts ever because there is no true clear cut #1 choice....it can be one of six picks and it would almost be impossible to predict the exact drafting in the top ten.....whereas most years many could get at least 5 right...I think it's going to be a wild one.

There will be a player drafted in the top ten that was expected to be drafted in the lower 20s......lot of surprises awaits us.

BTW..I am looking forward to the legendary Andre Tippett announcing our 3rd and 4th selections of the draft at the draft.

Agreed, the top half of the draft is so unpredictable right now and BB also has a ton of ammo to move up and down the draft board. It'll be great.

BB hit two grandslams last year, McCourty and Gronk. If BB can hit two more this draft, the Pats future will be more than solid. My jury is still out on Cunningham and Spikes, but I like their chances. Hernandez is unique, in that most teams don't have the luxory of fielding such a player. Question will be if his size/speed combo will be as effective in 2012 now that teams know what they are dealing with.
If BB can mix impact high rounders with solid starters like he did last year, this team will have such a long term advantage compared to the 1 player/round teams. Miami and Buffalo will be taking big steps backwards if they go QB early, just because of the developmental curve required. The NFL is all about quality depth...and the Pats should field one of the deepest teams after this draft.

IMHO, the lack of free agency has made it critical for several teams to overdraft quarterbacks. #17 will be looked at from teams above and below us as a place to get a quarterback.

IMHO, the lack of free agency has made it critical for several teams to overdraft quarterbacks. #17 will be looked at from teams above and below us as a place to get a quarterback.

Because of the lockout, FAs and draftees will be reporting the same day (assuming FAs sign quickly)...so why is it critical for teams to overdraft for a QB? Couldn't it be argued that a limited offseason for FAs is less harmful than one for a rookie?

"The Perfect Storm". I agree with what you posted. My guess is that BB trades one of the first round picks. Now, does he get more value for it trading into next year for the talk of not having a draft next year? The bottom line is you have a guy (BB) who is very savvy on talent, nerves of steel, and poker faced sitting with a nice hand versus the "others". SWEET!!

"The Perfect Storm". I agree with what you posted. My guess is that BB trades one of the first round picks. Now, does he get more value for it trading into next year for the talk of not having a draft next year? The bottom line is you have a guy (BB) who is very savvy on talent, nerves of steel, and poker faced sitting with a nice hand versus the "others". SWEET!!

Wow! Perfect summary!

A few weeks ago, on the way to looking up something else, I stumbled on the Cowboys' version (sorta) of this board. A poster innocently suggested trading for Mankins and was immediately jumped on by almost every other poster, unanimously expressing the sentiment, "Never, EVER trade with Belichick! He'll ALWAYS beat you!"

Lots of picks + weird talent distribution in the draft + no free agency + no clue about rookie wage scale + trade-happy coach + buyer beware on future picks = ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN.

Definitely an entertaining scenario!

The business side of the sport has increased the value of the Pats first three picks (17/28/33).

Rick Gosselin brought up a good point about the lockout's impact on this draft's QB position. With no free agency in this QB-driven league, and several teams w/o QBs, the position will be overdrafted. Second or third round QBs will be selected earlier than their actual rankings. "If you don’t get a quarterback on draft day, you’re not going to have one until late July. Your fan base and your media is going to beat up on you for four months because you don’t have a quarterback."

Hence the Pats 3 picks could be prime QB territory.

Perfect scenario...use #17 and a third to move up into 11-12 range.....make your pick at #28...and trade #33 to move down a little and recoup a pick.
BB would probably end up with 2 top players he really liked...and it would be at minimal cost as far as draft position.....

Draft day is always fun :rocker:

Anyone who doesn't feel jacked and pumped ain't got no soul?

I agree wholeheartedly..... The lack of FA changes the whole dynamic of this draft...... Additionally, I feel it helps us a lot. fewer glaring holes at key positions... I.E. QB

I really excitind and cannot wait for it to start!

I've been excited about this draft since last October when BB made it two picks in the first Three rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe