PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tom Brady rumor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he firmly believes the 2020 Patriots will be a repeat of 2019, I have no doubt in my mind he is gone.

If this is the case (and I think I agree with you), the big question is going to be: Will Brady take it on faith that things will be improved this year, given it will be hard to attract the kind of supporting cast he wants without a guarantee that he'll be the one throwing to them? If he needs to see the players first, it could just be a circle.

I think the handwriting is on the wall. Brady really does want to move on. Pats fans better prepare. So many direct clues:

1) His father saying years ago that it would not end well
2) Brady turning down multi year extension from Pats last August
3) Brady saying "I have more to prove"...e.g. showing he can win without BB

He is gone and Pats will regret it more than he will. Brady will go to a team that will compete for SB. Pats next 2-3 years will be one of irrelevancy.

Did not have to end this way, but after years of getting lowballed and hearing that he is a "system QB", I do not blame Brady.

Utter garbage.

If this is the case (and I think I agree with you), the big question is going to be: Will Brady take it on faith that things will be improved this year, given it will be hard to attract the kind of supporting cast he wants without a guarantee that he'll be the one throwing to them? If he needs to see the players first, it could just be a circle.
My belief is Tom's level of faith is on a couple of levels...

Does he have faith BB will put a competitive team on the field and go to the playoffs? Yes.

Does he have faith BB will improve the talent on offense enough where they can score 27 points on a bad day? I'm not sure.

If Brady is making that kind of stipulation during negotiations to BB, for a multitude of reasons I don't see BB being all that forthcoming to Tom. He might say, "Yea we'd like to add a little more speed on the outside, maybe some playmaking at TE and some talent on the o-line." but thats about it. Hes not going to get into specifics.

Tom needs to decide if that is good enough for him.

Last edited:
There were multiple reports from last year which said the BB/TB12 relationship was as healthy as it's been in years.

I've certainly been in situations where I had a great relationship with my boss but felt underpaid, no longer embracing the culture, didn't enjoy the people I was working with or finding the job satisfying.

Depending on what we want to read into Tom's post-game pressers of gloom and doom, he didn't seem all that happy to me with his personal and the offense's performance as a whole. I'm sure hes been made aware of how he was outwardly projecting himself.

If he firmly believes the 2020 Patriots will be a repeat of 2019, I have no doubt in my mind he is gone.
I think Tom is smart enough that if he'd had enough of Bill, he's only gonna tell his innermost circle. He's smart enough to realize that any other than 100% unity will be sniffed out and made into a massive distraction.

Of course, any or all of this is crap anyway, if he ends up staying. I dunno, I just wish they'd flip the calendar and get it over with. The anticipation of ripping the bandaid off is way worse than actually doing it.

The Patriots receiving core outside of JE was utter garbage.
A huge far cry from what we started the season with.

I don’t think we fix all our offense issues this year.

Does he have faith BB will put a competitive team on the field and go to the playoffs? Yes.

Does he have faith BB will improve the talent on offense enough where they can score 27 points on a bad day? I'm not sure.

If Brady is making that kind of stipulation during negotiations to BB, for a multitude of reasons I don't see BB being all that forthcoming to Tom. He might say, "Yea we'd like to add a little more speed on the outside, maybe some playmaking at TE and some talent on the o-line." but thats about it. Hes not going to get into specifics.

And the big question is, can Bill get enough weapons for Tom before Tom has to make a decision? My guess is no but we'll see in the next week or so...

All year it was said that Brady wanted a multi-year deal, but BB didnt want to pay the old man long term. Thats why Brady was pissed, that explains his press conferences. It also explains that Brady wanted to get the franchise tag removed - "if they make it a year to year decision, then let me get more leverage."
Why is it suddenly asumed that Brady didnt want a multi-year contract?

And the big question is, can Bill get enough weapons for Tom before Tom has to make a decision? My guess is no but we'll see in the next week or so...
I think its close to impossible and if I were BB there is no way in hell I would use promises- regardless how genuine they are, as a way to get Tom to stay. It's not right.

Maybe.

Like Tom, we don't know the market for Tanny but having him count $33.2m as the franchise tag on the 2020 cap is downright idiotic.
You just tag him to buy time to sign him. Tenn has the money for the tag if they feel that strongly about him. But yeah, 33 mil is pretty insane in any case.

You just tag him to buy time to sign him. Tenn has the money for the tag if they feel that strongly about him. But yeah, 33 mil is pretty insane in any case.
They don't have that much room. They are at $50m. Tagging Tanny brings that to $17m. Maybe they can find room cutting Dlew or other ways but $33m is a helluva marker

There are three sides to every story with Brady and the Patriots, and you can be darn sure all three will be published as news.

I don’t expect Brady to sign anywhere during the first hour of FA so that could give the Pats more time to acquire players. However, the dilemma is that there aren’t many quality FA available or probably for trade. In addition, if he signs after the start of FA, the Pats get a dead money cap hit which doesn’t help.

Would the Pats trade a 1st rounder for a high priced-elite WR? Is that even possible? If not, the best they could do is offer 3rd rounders for older veterans or young guys buried on the depth charts.

I could see Brady coming back and taking less if the Pats strike gold very quickly in FA or take back AB.

The Patriots receiving core outside of JE was utter garbage.
A huge far cry from what we started the season with.

I don’t think we fix all our offense issues this year.

The WRs at the start were a chitpile.

A few games into the season, Triumph started a thread and warned you all about the sordid and pitiful state of the 2019 NE WR corp. I was proven correct again. Gordon and Dorsett should have been trying out for XFL last season. Meyers was a warm body.

The WRs at the start were a chitpile.

A few games into the season, Triumph started a thread and warned you all about the sordid and pitiful state of the 2019 NE WR corp. I was proven correct again. Gordon and Dorsett should have been trying out for XFL last season. Meyers was a warm body.
I like Meyers

Derrick Henry, AJ Brown, AB Brown, Gronk. Just add Brady and mix for a Super Bowl.

Titans are the smart move for Brady.

Derrick Henry, AJ Brown, AB Brown, Gronk. Just add Brady and mix for a Super Bowl.

Titans are the smart move for Brady.
Henry will not be cheap

There are three sides to every story with Brady and the Patriots, and you can be darn sure all three will be published as news.
I think BB, Brady, and Kraft know the story. They have been together for 20 years so they are all on the same page IMO. I think Brady (Yee) is going to go out and get offers, then get back with the Pats to see if its something they want to match. In the end, Kraft will match any offer out there...again, in my opinion. All the other noise in the media is just that, noise. Nothing gets out of that organization unless they want it to. My prediction is he stays with the Pats at 3 yr/$90M

I like Meyers

The 2020 version of Braxton Berrios.

Every years there are reports of a mystery walk on WR blowing up camp as if the Pats were blessed by the football Gods with a Star WR at no cost. All the other football people missed this guy and he somehow fell into the Patriots lap. Every season the diamond in the rough turns out to be a hardened chunk of horse 5hit. Last year 2 WRs were lighting up camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes