PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Second Tight End Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Walden

On the Roster
Reaction score
Gronk's obviously #1, and a lot of people assume Dwayne Allen will retain the #2 spot. While he's a great blocker, I could see the Pats turning more towards Jacob Hollister if he improves in the blocking game. Mike Reiss and a bunch of other reporters say he'd added muscle weight, so he has the potential to grow there.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll see. I didn't think Hollister looked that great last year (Will Yeatman and Lee Smith looked way better) but the reports from early practices are positive and he spent all last year on the 53 so what do I know?

We'll see. I didn't think Hollister looked that great last year (Will Yeatman and Lee Smith looked way better) but the reports from early practices are positive and he spent all last year on the 53 so what do I know?
I think the biggest reason he didn't see the field more was that he was undersized and just couldn't block. He's reportedly added weight, which should improve his work as a blocker. I think he's got great potential as a receiver

Paying Allen $5m to block aint happening. I'm sure BB will need to see some things play out before finally cutting him but if he is the same receiver during TC as he was in 2017 he's gone.

Only 19 more days to TC opening........Football finally on the horizon

Let’s not count Troy niklas out just yet.

That’s my thinking as well. I still don’t see Allen on this team at that number. A 1/3 of it maybe, but even then he sucks.

Paying Allen $5m to block aint happening. I'm sure BB will need to see some things play out before finally cutting him but if he is the same receiver during TC as he was in 2017 he's gone.

Yep, I think he’s saving that $ until the season gets closer.

If Allen can gain some confidence, and more importantly get Brady to trust him, he’s clearly the #2. He was an excellent blocker last year and obviously underperformed receiving.

Tye and Hollister are not blockers at least to this point in their careers.

And I agree the cap number is too high for Allen if he still can’t catch passes.

Reality is they’ll have atleast 3 TEs on the roster, so TE2 vs. TE3 isn’t necessarily a competition between the two. More so, it’s a competition for specified roles, that fill two TE spots.

Reality is they’ll have atleast 3 TEs on the roster, so TE2 vs. TE3 isn’t necessarily a competition between the two. More so, it’s a competition for specified roles, that fill two TE spots.
I could see them rolling in with two. They've done it in the past, and we really didn't use Hollister at all his rookie year, so we essentially only had two.
If Hollister can block, I think he kicks Allen off the team

Trent Brown has never played LT and Cannon was IRd last year and was injured in 2016 also. Given this it might be smart to hang on to one of the best blocking TEs in the league.

Also, 3 of Bradys most trusted quick read targets (Lewis and DA) are gone with JE gone for the first 4 games. Other than Hogan who has mostly been used a a mid to deep threat Brady is working with a pretty much new receiving group.

Brady may need a bit more time this year particularly in the beginning of the year. Extra protection with all of these unknowns (line and WRs) might be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes