PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Rise of Steve Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, everything I've seen suggests that Steve has done a great job with the secondary, he's been key to developing players like JC Jackson to bolster our depth in that area. And he's done well to integrate veterans like Gimlore, Jason McCourty, etc seamlessly into the unit.

Yes he is coaching a positional unit that his father has invested heavily in. And Steve has 3 Superbowl rings to show for it. To me, that makes it clear that son or not, Steve's unit does its job.

Frankly, people like Gilmore, Harmon and the McCourty brothers played an absolutely huge role in our latest Superbowl, and credit for that goes right to Steve. Without the secondary going balls out we don't beat the Rams. Especially Jason McCourty's strip and Harmon's blitz to force the pick to Gilmore. Steve's unit gave the team as much as a 14 point swing on those plays alone, absolutely a difference maker.

Side note: Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon were teammates with Steve at Rutgers. They praised his work ethic there, too.

Nepotism or not, Steve Belichick rises in the coaching ranks - ProFootballTalk

I would just like to point out at this time that it is absolutely absurd, ABSURD, that the fact that the Pats have are #3 in total cap space dedicated to the secondary in the NFL has anything whatsoever to do with BB trying to have his son gain a leg-up in his career. All the success of the secondary is purely due to Steve's ability and coaching talents alone. The fact that we don't have any cap space for position players elsewhere like TE (Pats were ranked #32 for cap space for TE in NFL) or WRs is purely due to Brady's intransigence for treating rookies as scrubs and skipping OTAs etc and has nothing to do with the fact that we didn't dedicate any cap space to the position.

Also in FA there was just no useful star talent available for those positions at a reasonable price when we found bargains when we signed Gilmore for $15m per year or re-signed DMAC for $12.5m and those are just opportunistic signings. There was just nothing in WR/TE market. BB would never EVER EVER try to bolster the secondary position just to help his son perform and look better. Any suggestions to such effect are obscene and have no place on these message boards.

I get it. April fool!

OT - not sure why it took so long, but your avatar has given me a pizza craving :oops:

All the damn time for years his avatar has done that. And being in VA finding sicillian style, let alone good pizza is like finding gold.

I'd say the relevant question is will he get the Defensive Coordinator's title?

Nepotism or not, Steve Belichick rises in the coaching ranks - ProFootballTalk

I would just like to point out at this time that it is absolutely absurd, ABSURD, that the fact that the Pats have are #3 in total cap space dedicated to the secondary in the NFL has anything whatsoever to do with BB trying to have his son gain a leg-up in his career. All the success of the secondary is purely due to Steve's ability and coaching talents alone. The fact that we don't have any cap space for position players elsewhere like TE (Pats were ranked #32 for cap space for TE in NFL) or WRs is purely due to Brady's intransigence for treating rookies as scrubs and skipping OTAs etc and has nothing to do with the fact that we didn't dedicate any cap space to the position.

Also in FA there was just no useful star talent available for those positions at a reasonable price when we found bargains when we signed Gilmore for $15m per year or re-signed DMAC for $12.5m and those are just opportunistic signings. There was just nothing in WR/TE market. BB would never EVER EVER try to bolster the secondary position just to help his son perform and look better. Any suggestions to such effect are obscene and have no place on these message boards.

I believe you to be a danger to yourself. Get help now.

If Steve was a bad coach, I think we would instead be talking about how our uber-talented secondary played far below their ability. But that's not the case, so we have to believe he's doing something right as a coach.
In fact, IIRC Tony Romo caught Steve Belihick calling the defensive play calls for the whole D early in the year last year, in the Giants game I believe. Bill's done that before, give a man the responsibility without the title, most recently with Brian Flores and now I honestly believe Steve Belichick is running our defense, and maybe has been doing so for awhile now.

Bill's definitely been letting his son stretch his wings while sheltering him from media scrutiny. Now that the proverbial cat is out of the bag we might see a more official changeover in the next 18 months or so. But I honestly believe that Bill is determined, when he retires, whenever that might be, to hand the keys of the franchise over to his fully qualified son.

(I've often speculated as well that Bill might turn the locker room over to Steve and kick himself upstairs to play GM. That's a thing that could happen if Bill thinks Steve is ready)

Reactions: jah
I would much rather Steve be the coach of this team after Bill than Josh.

NE led the league in yards and points allowed so not sure if the overall plan was poor. If AB stayed sane the team was likely in AFCG if not the Super Bowl.

Even without AB (and a ton of injuries and no TE's) they were a fairly officiated KC game away from a bye.

At worst, Steve Belichick didn't get in the way of the best secondary in the league.
At best, he was responsible for it.
That what we're trying to say?

Stevie Thanksdad...

Yeah how did that uber-talented secondary play during its final two games?

Even without AB (and a ton of injuries and no TEs) they were a fairly-officiated KC game away from a bye.
They were a Tom Brady Pick-6 away from a bye...

Or maybe in a pass happy league it's a good place to invest in? Seeing how 5-6 players out of the 11 on the field just a out every play are members of the secondary.

Nah, it's to make Steve look good.

How dare you. I specifically said that he didn't dedicate the most cap space to the secondary just to make Steve look good. How dare you!

The original poster is a known Brady loving, BB basher.

How was I bashing BB. I was just praising Steve and pointing that just because the Pats were #3 in NFL for total cap space dedicated to secondary shouldn't take away from Steve's accomplishments.

And also pointing out that just because Pats were #32 in cap space to TE, after running a TE heavy offense all decade, shouldn't absolve Brady of the blame.

I was also defending BB, that he would never ever dedicate more cap space to his son's unit just to make him look good. No parent would do such a thing. I was just presenting some facts...................

Stevie Thanksdad...

Like they were tired of the offense that Bill built... hold on one sec...

ConfusedSoulfulAracari-size_restricted.gif

Like they were tired of the offense that Bill built being unable to sustain a drive over 20 yards.

Stevie Thanksdad...

The Miami one? Like ****. The Tennessee one? Not that bad, honestly. Only gave up 14 points to the offense, almost entirely because of bad front 7 play.

The original poster is a known Brady loving, BB basher.

BB took a little getting used to but I love them both.

The B&B show has been the greatest run in the history of the NYFL and nobody else is even close.

BB took a little getting used to but I love them both.

The B&B show has been the greatest run in the history of the NYFL and nobody else is even close.
Unapologetic BB fan here. You are correct, though, BB-Brady has been the ultimate combo. I’m surprised two Alphas were able to stick together 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back