PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The right wide receiver?

The only guy that makes sense to me is Lee. If (a big if) we draft a WR the only way it makes sense it to have legit #1 ability. This is something Lee has shown. I think O'Dell & Cooks are good players but I see them as guys that have moved up due to combine numbers over other WRs that have got it done on tape more often. The only other guy that MIGHT work is Robinson. However if we pick him up then what do we do with Dobson? They play almost the same game (though Robinson can do more probably).

Here are IMO the only true 1st round WRs: Watkins, Evans, Lee, Robinson. (not O'Dell. not Cooks, not Latimore)

I suspect BB wants Mike Evans badly although not enough to go that high. Evans is an out and out mismatch, exactly what BB likes to put on offense. Aside from Evans, Allen Robinson is a 6'3" Wes Welker, much better in the short passing game than in the vertical one so I think he can be the Welker/Amendola/Edelman but with red zone threat capabilities that we lacked last year. And in terms of Marquis Lee, whilst I don't think there's a compelling USP to his game, the value may be too good to ignore.

Bill has always said that he likes receivers who get open and catch the ball. Jarvis Landry is slow but has the best hands in the draft. I could see Bill picking him if he's still there at 130 (or even 93). Otherwise I think he would see value in some of the other mid round guys - Bruce Ellington, who strikes me as a better value Brandin Cooks.

I agree that Bill probably lusts after Mike Evans. I also think they have some interest in Lee (particularly as they apparently liked Robert Woods last year) but 29 might be too rich for them.

I have a hunch they like Lee, too. He's the only one I can really picture at #29, though Matthews, Robinson and Latimer make up a very strong next tier. This board seems to be sleeping on Jordan Matthews for some reason; I think he's the kind of heady route runner Brady loves.

Jared Abbrederis.

Decent size, good hands, smart and wouldn't cost a high draft pick. The downside is concussion history.

Jordan Matthews wouldn't be a bad call but NFL.com says he's moody and can be a diva if that's the case then no thank you.

I've thinking Lee or Benjamin, with myself preferring Lee.

I have a hunch they like Lee, too. He's the only one I can really picture at #29, though Matthews, Robinson and Latimer make up a very strong next tier. This board seems to be sleeping on Jordan Matthews for some reason; I think he's the kind of heady route runner Brady loves.
Matthews had a pretty horrible Senior Bowl. Really struggled to get separation. I agree with Zimmy. If we do go with the less athletic possession type, then Jarvis Landry is the better bet. He's not good athletically but is a very good receiver in terms of skillset.

Reminds ppl that Brandon Coleman is a bigggggg Deep tread WHO happens to come from Rudgers and might be there in round 3 or 4. Pretty sure Manx are right with BB and Evans, that to me screams size.

Side note: Was Nick Caserio WHO controled Colemans pro day AND DmC made a comment about him.

Wasn't Caserio doing the Browner or Revis deal over the phone whilst conducting the Rutgers pro day?

Wasn't Caserio doing the Browner or Revis deal over the phone whilst conducting the Rutgers pro day?

Pretty hardcore pro day then? Didnt Browners contract take 2 days or more? Same with Revis? I think Caserio was a part of the Contracts, but i doubt they finished all the details, at the same time ash Rudgers pro day.

Jared Abbrederis.

Decent size, good hands, smart and wouldn't cost a high draft pick. The downside is concussion history.

Jordan Matthews wouldn't be a bad call but NFL.com says he's moody and can be a diva if that's the case then no thank you.

The 4 reps on the 225 bench press by Abbrederis is the reason I'm not that high on him. I can bench 225 ten times and I'm not trying to play in the NFL.

It's very weird about that NFL.com report -- I haven't seen even a smidgen of negativity about his attitude anywhere else. This is more typical:

At a “diva” position in the NFL, Matthews is a breath of fresh air with exceptional character on and off the field.

http://standingosports.com/main/2013/10/26/scouting-report-vanderbilt-wr-jordan-matthews-2/

But I have to agree with manxman that the question mark with Matthews will be his ability to get separation at the NFL level.

Pretty hardcore pro day then? Didnt Browners contract take 2 days or more? Same with Revis? I think Caserio was a part of the Contracts, but i doubt they finished all the details, at the same time ash Rudgers pro day.
It was Revis. Caserio was leading the WR drills and between drills was on the phone, it was the day the Bucs had to either trade or release Revis. Interesting day to be sure.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ee_for_former_rutgers_wr_brandon_coleman.html

On topic, I am with the Lee group, not that I want him but I think he's the kind of WR Brady would like as opposed to athlete who will get to the wrong place - but get there quickly. Nothing against Lee, I just have other positions in my for the first pick. Dobson, Lee and Edelman does have potential as a starting group.

I think lee goes to the eagles at 22

I hope the 'right' WR means that he's a gamechanger. I do not want another Dobson or Boyce, a project. those two weren't able to come in an contribute effectively. They hopefully will be this year though.

My point is, either get a stud (Mike Evans, Marquise Lee, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham, or even Kelvin Benjamin) who can contribute immediately or don't draft a WR at all. I know Benjamin is a project, but I think he can be effective just based purely on his size advantage. Everyone else is good ^

I hope the 'right' WR means that he's a gamechanger. I do not want another Dobson or Boyce, a project. those two weren't able to come in an contribute effectively. They hopefully will be this year though.

My point is, either get a stud (Mike Evans, Marquise Lee, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham, or even Kelvin Benjamin) who can contribute immediately or don't draft a WR at all. I know Benjamin is a project, but I think he can be effective just based purely on his size advantage. Everyone else is good ^

Agree on the game-changer. Also non-duplicative with Edelman, Amendola, and Boyce. We could use someone with size, speed, and a degree of refinement, but at the right point of the draft, refinement could be sacrificed to some extent.

Anybody who watched USC in 2012 knows that Lee is a special receiver. If Moncrief or Lattimer are sitting late in the second, they could add something that doesn't currently exist on the roster.

More likely though, Caserio was speaking hypothetically. Of course they would draft a WR if the right one were available. Just like they would draft a LB, OT, or K if the right one were available. Patriot FO-speak for "we're not going to rule anybody out based on position."

There's no room, if they bring a another receiver, and I'm not against it, they will have to make some moves.

The WR position intrigues me, just like DL. There are lots of players but I have no idea what to expect from some of them.Assuming they all play well, he don't even need to draft at these positions, on the other hand if the receivers do not make the leap, and kelly and wilfork doesn't recover well from their injuries, and Siliga, Jones and Velano show why they were udfa, then it will be a tragedy.

I'm on board with those who think that if it's to bring another receiver, than I hope for a premium one. Projects only from 6th round on.

The WR position intrigues me, just like DL. There are lots of players but I have no idea what to expect from some of them.Assuming they all play well, he don't even need to draft at these positions, on the other hand if the receivers do not make the leap, and kelly and wilfork doesn't recover well from their injuries, and Siliga, Jones and Velano show why they were udfa, then it will be a tragedy.

I've been making that exact analogy. Both WR and DT have plenty of bodies, some with injury question marks, some with intriguing potential, but nobody we can really count on to be a difference maker. Yet DT is one of this board's consensus top needs, while WR is considered a luxury draft pick only. Why?

I imagine it's a combination of the relative value of the two positions, plus greater faith in the development/recovery of Dobson, Boyce and Amendola vs. the development/recovery of Siliga, Jones, Armstead, Kelly and Wilfork. But it seems to me that prospects like Marquise Lee and Dominique Easley are pretty comparable: electric but fragile athletes who could add a new dimension to the team, IF they can stay healthy.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back