PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Quinn Nordin era also begins

I find this a bit confusing tbh. Folk is just so consistent and hasn't done much wrong whereas Nordin has been hit and miss

I thought they might even keep two kickers, but roster spots are very tight.

Looking at the kicks he made in the first game, I was all over Nordin. What was great was not just the distance but that his kicks were so straight: not great big bananas. He looked like a young Gost.

Then I watched and re-watched Nordin's kicks from the second game, but it's very hard to tell much unless you see him up close and repeatedly to see what he does different from kick to kick. Still, for what it's worth, he seemed to be leaning left and have his plant foot too far from the ball. That would make you push your kick, which is what he did.

There was a story that he didn't have a precisely measured run-up when he was at Michigan. That isn't as terrible as you might think. The three things that really, really matter are your plant foot, your swing and (for the NFL) timing. If you can get your plant foot where you want it when you want it, everything else should sort itself.

So, unless he has mental problems, I think he should be fixable. What concerns me is whether the Patriots have anyone who is a competent kicking coach to fix him. Kicking is completely different from all of the other skills that football ("foot"-ball) players need. Knowing how to teach one set doesn't help you teaching the other. And kicking is individual: like a golf swing, what works for one player won't for another.

In short, unless they have some way of keeping Folk informally as a back-up, this is a really big gamble.

Possible Folk is carrying a troublesome injury ??

I'm actually shocked by this. I know he looked very solid most of TC and preseason outside of that one game, but still. Folk's gonna get signed elsewhere in a heartbeat, I hope they're confident in the kid.

I was really surprised by this as well, but like Jones they see the upside. Although they could make the playoffs I think this is a developmental year, so they are taking some more chances than they would if they saw themselves as real Lombardi contenders.

In golf, I can hit the cover off the ball when I tee off. It’s just chip shots and putting that I struggle with. I think I have high upside, though.

I have a little chant I wrote for FG attempts during the first exhibition game. I will generously share it with you now, royalty-free.

"Quinn, Quinn, Nord It In!"
We will do this for you at the opener. Me and my buds are the kind of morons that would do it lol.

I haven’t been this excited about someone having great distance but bad aim since I took a pee last night.

Possible Folk is carrying a troublesome injury ??
I think it was Bedard who yesterday said the one day Folk practiced this preseason, he looked unfit

He wasn’t accurate in the beginning. Parcells almost cut him.
I remember my father going off about Matt Barr must be laughing in a hotel room somewhere.

I was trying to point out Nordin's leg is much better than Adam's ever was.

Regardless of how Adam V's career began, he made most of his $ off his leg's accuracy, not his leg's strength.

I think it was Bedard who yesterday said the one day Folk practiced this preseason, he looked unfit

He did look like he'd started a slide toward Janikowski-Land. :whistle:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back