PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots need to harp on just this

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL has over 200 pages 'showing' the Patriots guilt. You're not going to win over the public with just a gauge issue.

About 160 pages of the Wells report concern the scientific aspects of the case.

Thus 67% of the report is provably a total pile of crap.

I'm not a psychologist or a linguist, capable of deciphering meanings in text messages. But I can speak to the science.

If this were a murder case, the science would find none of Tom Brady's DNA on the victim. The DNA of Mother Nature would be present in great abundance.

This is all that needs to be emphasized.

It is clear and to the point. One small paragraph.

According to the memory of the head referee, the Patriots footballs lost 1.01 psi of pressure, on average, by halftime. According to the calculations of every scientist, including those hired by Mr. Wells, footballs naturally lose 1.13 psi of pressure just by cooling from 71 degrees to 48 degrees. How is it that footballs untouched by human hands would be down 1.13 psi in pressure, and at the same time, footballs that were supposedly tampered with were down by approximately the same amount, or even a little bit LESS?

Made this nice little screen shot from the op, use it anywhere you can to disprove the haters.
qreuqi9.png

The fact that Wells disregarded Anderson's best recollection of which gauge he used for the scientific data is bad for the League on any appeal on two levels. First, it shows that they disregarded the testimony of their star witness who they pump up in the report as some kind of saint. Second, it cast doubts on Anderson's recollections of what the PSI level of the footballs prior to the game. Since Wells didn't trust Anderson's memory in this case, an objective arbitrator would come to the conclusion that anything he remembered cannot be taken as fact.

I say the focus must be on the notion of non-cooperation....with the aspect of the gauges/Ideal gas Law as an ancillary (but still important) argument. Essentially, the League (Vincent's letter), most of he talking heads (that have been interviewed since the announcement), and the other 31 fan bases are keying in on this non-cooperation factor. Why? Because there is a frustration borne out of the Wells report due to the lack of any clear-cut evidence...combined with an envy associated with the continued success of a dynasty. It's the desired narrative. Some way...somehow...somewhere...the Patriots have cheated, whether the evidence is there or not. That's the convenient truth in their minds. Ironically, the Wells investigation would have nothing to put in their report if it hadn't been for the Patriots. They provided the NFL: video from the stadium, interviews with their employees, the company-issued phones of their employees, the footballs, and more.

The "non-cooperative" argument by the NFL was employed to:
1) offset the failure of he Wells Report to dig up anything meaningful, thereby representing the only real basis for the imposed punishment
2) mollify the masses (those 31 fan bases who now have a shred of hope)
3) create a diversion from the stumbling, bumbling, fumbling performance of the NFL over the past year

I hope this text tidbit doesn't light everyone's hair on fire, but I positively retched when I read this:

All of these factors were found to contribute in varying degrees to changes in the internal pressure of footballs. However, given the magnitude of the temperature change that would have affected the footballs at halftime when they were brought from the field to the locker room, a key factor in explaining the difference in measurements between the Patriots and Colts footballs is timing; that is, the change in pressure with time as the footballs were brought from a colder environment (the field) to a warmer environment (the Officials Locker Room) at halftime.

If the Logo Gauge was used pre-game, the Patriots average halftime measurement will match the pressures predicted by the transient curves (with the Colts halftime measurements also matching the predicted range), but only if the testing of the Patriots balls began immediately once the footballs arrived in the Officials Locker Room at halftime and took no more than 4 minutes, and only if the majority of the Patriots game balls were wet. As noted, testing of the Patriots balls is likely to have begun no sooner than 2 minutes and is likely to have taken approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Further, based on statements made to Paul, Weiss (and subsequently conveyed to Exponent) by Patriots ballboys and game officials, we understand that some of the Patriots game balls may have been damp when tested at halftime, but none were waterlogged.

So, this is how I'm interpreting this. First, let me start off with something related but just off to the side. Repeatedly, in the opening pages, the Colts balls are referred to as the Control Group. Why? The reasoning is, there is no suspicion they were tampered with. Why are the Patriots balls suspect? Because the Indy equipment manager said there are rumors of deflated Patriot footballs (Baltimore Ravens kicking balls) and because balls were deflated during the regular season game in Indy (an away game, no McNally!). Still, the Colts balls are the Control Group.

Fundamentally, the statisticians say there is little chance that natural factors would allow for the divergence in readings between the Patriots balls and the Colts balls, and that terefore there is tampering.

BUT, way back in the appendix, you'll find the paragraph above. Oh my God!! It states that if you're using the gauge that Anderson claimed he was using, then the Colts balls and the Patriots balls MESH, if the Patriots balls start being measured when you get to the locker room, and for another 4 minutes, with the Colts balls to follow.

In other words, the divergence emphasized in the written part of the entire Wells Report is completely and totally OBLITERATED if we precede with the idea that Anderson used the gauge he said he used.

Here I am in this thread (first post) posting how the Patriots balls were within the predicted range if we used the lower logoed gauge as a baseline, and I hadn't even realized that the scientists already went well beyond my reasoning.

NOT ONLY are the Patriots balls within the range with the logoed gauge, but there is NO DISCREPANCY between the Patriots balls and the Colts balls.

Oh my f'in God!!!!

EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON THE GAUGE ANDERSON USED.

Rights according to NFL
“You do not have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney but if you use one you are guilty. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can use ours. If you do not speak, or turn over everything we want, this will prove your guilt. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe