Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Pat_named-590x644.jpg

Now to Make Some History: The Story Behind Pat Patriot

Great story of Bissell's connection to the Pats over time, plus I loved this...

pp origin.JPG

Immortality... in 45 minutes. :)

This is a well-known story. I want the origin of the Flying Elvis. Like what 90's graphic artist came up with it and why.

April 19, 1775.

Try this answer on the Flying Elvis.
Kinda interesting that we almost ended up with this in 1979:

5980949559_c3ce07eba1_o.jpg

For those not willing to visit BSPN, the back story is back in 1979 the Pats marketing director (and Billy Sullivan's son in law...) felt that the old (Pat Patriot) logo needed to be replaced because "The old one was very difficult to market, because it's a complicated design, so it was hard to get it right.". The above was created by NFL Properties.

The marketing guy said it took him 3-4 years to convince Billy to go with the new logo. He thought it was a done deal but Billy said they had to let the fans vote on it live at halftime. He knew that was Billy's way of saying he really didn't want the new logo because it was clear the existing fan base would not want to change it.

Fast forward to 1993 and again NFL Properties was engaged, who proceeded to hand it off to a sub-contractor who proceeded (literally) to hand it off to an intern! Flying Elvis started out with this sketch:

5979387152_d535ef3eae_o.png

So, there you have it. It all came about so it'd be easier to make knock-off t-shirts.

This is a well-known story. I want the origin of the Flying Elvis. Like what 90's graphic artist came up with it and why.

Try this answer on the Flying Elvis.

That link doesn't work. This one does...

Super Logo Bowl: The Design History Of The Patriots and Seahawks

...and it shows the designer admits to copying the Flying Elvis from the earlier 1970's proposed logo that the fans voted down, shown here:

fea70617c598ab6dd9fe9238e67839a1.jpg

"NFL Properties did show us the 1979 logo," he said. "But it was described as something the fans hated, so I tried very hard not to emulate it. You could say my concept was loosely based on that logo, if by 'concept' you mean a profile of a soldier with a flag coming off the back of his head. But I knew I wanted it to be far more streamlined. The concept of a profile/flag is fairly generic and common, and can be interpreted many different ways."

And now you know.... the rest of the story. ;)

This is a link to BSPN. Fair warning.

If it not anti-Patriot in substance (see Mike Reiss), then I will read it. You won't see the Patriot bashing stories from me, and frankly they occasionally have good information (less so these days).

I will revel in the company's demise for its misdeeds, so hopefully with the good stories it's enjoy them while they last.

A young flunky intern in the NFL offices back then named Goodell......

What is really depressing is how the reasoning so closely tracks how today's urban architecture has become so repeatable and undetailed vs the detail of so much of our public buildings built before the 1960s.

It's all fast food versus slow dining.

Oh well.

That link doesn't work. This one does...

Super Logo Bowl: The Design History Of The Patriots and Seahawks

...and it shows the designer admits to copying the Flying Elvis from the earlier 1970's proposed logo that the fans voted down, shown here:

fea70617c598ab6dd9fe9238e67839a1.jpg

And now you know.... the rest of the story. ;)
Identical, insulting, offensive, bush league, characteristic of losing expansion teams trying cheap gimmicks to attract their easily distracted minute fan bases.

From First to worst in team logo and uniforms.

And then some genius said "Lets make the uniforms bright blue and put this new logo on both shoulders!"
We need to make Aaron and the guys look cool! Screw Vince whoever he was, Starr, Kramer, Nitschke and Hornung - they're the old loser Packers. They cheated and it was before the salary cap too.

Identical, insulting, offensive, bush league, characteristic of losing expansion teams trying cheap gimmicks to attract their easily distracted minute fan bases.

From First to worst in team logo and uniforms.
Ok moss.

It's all fast food versus slow dining.

Oh well.

You can eat a **** sandwich as slow as you want, it's still a **** sandwich. Pat Patriot was my MAN until they transitioned. It was weird for about 10 minutes to see the flying Elvis. Objectively, flying Elvis is just a better design.

I thought his origin was to give older, grumpier Pats Fans a reason to complain about younger Pats Fans.

It is and I do!!! These young whipersnapers and their Pat Patriot. No respect! Bring back the Tri Corner !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft