PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs. Panthers Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB: There were two officials that came in. One was the umpire and the other one was our side judge and there was a discussion at that point as to the, in essence, the catchability of the ball due to its location. So it was determined at that point in time that when the primary contact occurred on the tight end that the ball, in essence, was coming in underthrown and in essence it was immediate at that point intercepted at the front end of the end zone. So there was a determination that, in essence, uncatchability, that the ball was intercepted at or about the same time the primary contact against the receiver occurred.

822650031.gif

thanks nfl

After Gronk got pushed 10 yards further while he was making his cut the douche in the white hat determined he couldn't catch it, no *****, how could he catch it being pushed and bear hugged.
Lot's of bad game turning calls this week, not just the Pats, who have had their fair share for the year, the NFL has to fix this atrocious refereeing.

For all of the problems the Patriots have had this year (injuries, incarceration, FA screw ups, etc....), they could be a 1 loss team if two calls had been gotten right.

sorry, DaB...didn't see your questions...I watched the game and saw the play and the replay on it...Mankins was clearly guilty and clearly way over the extracurricular limit...and I really have no axe to grind about him either....he screwed up and it cost them points...so did Ridley...not winning football to me.

ESPN didn't show a replay and the feed here didn't show the O-line at all on that play..

For all of the problems the Patriots have had this year (injuries, incarceration, FA screw ups, etc....), they could be a 1 loss team if two calls had been gotten right.

It is true. But it's also true we could be 3-7 (Bills, Jets, Falcons, Saints and the other three losses). We are what we are and that is 7-3.

CB: There were two officials that came in. One was the umpire and the other one was our side judge and there was a discussion at that point as to the, in essence, the catchability of the ball due to its location. So it was determined at that point in time that when the primary contact occurred on the tight end that the ball, in essence, was coming in underthrown and in essence it was immediate at that point intercepted at the front end of the end zone. So there was a determination that, in essence, uncatchability, that the ball was intercepted at or about the same time the primary contact against the receiver occurred.

thanks nfl

The initial contact is literally no more than 3-4 feet away from where the ball got intercepted. The hold is why it isn't catchable.

Belichick really should just have his defense come out and hold the broncos receivers. As long as they drive them away from the football it's considered uncatchable.

It is true. But it's also true we could be 3-7 (Bills, Jets, Falcons, Saints and the other three losses). We are what we are and that is 7-3.

We have a good chance of being 7-4 after Sunday. We were robbed tonight and that hurts. Home cooking at its finest. I have lost all belief in the officiating in major sports. The calls get worse by the year. Things like this is how Goodell tries to keep parity in the league. I don't even watch the Pats for fear of breaking my TV. Only thing I can think is positive from this game is that the Pats should be PO'd and take it put on the Broncos. If we can beat the Broncos that would take away some of my anger over being robbed this game.

Those games did't end on controversial calls by the refs. He wasn't saying anything about plays, which is why he didn't say undefeated.

You keep referring to a play I can't look at to compare, so I can't really compare them. All I can tell you is that there's not a 'tipped' exception to PI available here.

Found the link.

Dirty Laundry: Tips and pass interference - NFC North Blog - ESPN

I think that's why I was confused. It sounds like they actually got the call wrong in this game...and it's very similiar logic to what happened today. I'll try and find video. Obviously the contact was made prior in this case.

edit...posted the video link. 4:25 in on the highlights video.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20121...aign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Still makes it confusing.

Bear hugging someone and impeding their ability to make a play on the ball isn't pass interference anymore apparently.

Oh well. We're onto to Denver.

What would the refs call next week if a Pats DB hugs a Bronco WR on the endzone? Go Pats

I was trying to find a video of the 2011 game the Pats lost to the Bills. Fitzpatrick was picked off in the endzone, and Sergio Brown was flagged for interference for preventing the receiver from returning to the ball when Josh Barrett got the INT.

I remember they had problems with running over receivers, but how was this any different?

Still cant wrap around my head of this game.

Well, this game is a perfect example of why you can't leave points on the board against a good team. Ridley's red zone (?) fumble turned out to be huge along with that questionable 3rd and 1 end zone shot in the fourth that resulted in a FG. And as we saw on the final Panthers' drive, this defense is now an injury or two away from self destructing. The offense can't rely on them bailing them out anymore.

The Patriots didn't lose because of the referees. They lost because the Panthers' offensive and defensive units outperformed the Patriots' offensive and defensive units. Special teams was a push.

Watching Arrington get burned by one of the worst receivers in the league in exactly the same manner as last year's loss to San Francisco was sickening. Why he was resigned when there was a down market and other decent corners available still perplexes me. Also seeing Marquice Cole and Tavon Wilson playing snaps on defense is disheartening.

This team was extremely top heavy to begin with and the mounting injuries have finally taken their toll. Once again Tom Brady and the offense will have to carry the team and play mistake free football to have any chance in the postseason.

Our O maybe fell through in the end of the game but our D gave up alot of 3rd&long, as usual. i think we played really well spreading the ball around, the game ended so fast and i think we managed the clock bad at the last 5\6 minuts.

gopats!

Yea I don't agree with everyone who says Carolina out played us. I thought the game was even all the way. What won Carolina the game was Newton's athleticism. He made some amazing plays with his feet on third downs. He deserves a lot of props.

Their defense is the real deal, they made us work for every yard. Nothing came easy. With that, we moved the ball at will on them. We left some points on the board, for sure, but the offense was great.

I feel about as good as you can feel after a defeat. We just had a dog fight. Games like this make you better come playoff time. Besides maybe KC, we won't face a defense like this in the AFC

I will note just a couple of my general observations:

1) the PI call last night on 32 was horrendous. Just one of a number of bad ref calls. And if PI was not called on the last play, why was holding not, 87 was getting clearly mauled.

2) We kinda beat ourselves did we not? Yes I give total props to Carolina and I hope for them and their fan base they are competitive for many years but we did not take advantage of our opportunities.

3) I am a big fan of Cam. He did not at all take the media bullsh1t about this being him vs TFB. He gave a lot of credit to the rest of the team. He is maturing slowly and those legs against a mediocre defense is a weapon.

4) Can someone explain to me why 87 was not more involved in the first half?

5) It was just a great game, a great clean game.

6) We as a fan base are always going to be in games with TFB. I mean watching that last drive I just have confidence that he is going to move the team down the field.

7) We need to buy or find some killer instinct on offense. Our guys had the ball down in Carolina's zone late in the game in the fourth quarter. We need to FINISH DRIVES against good teams.

8) As an extension of (7) I ALWAYS get a feeling in my stomach after we kick, wait...settle...for a fg that the other team is going to score. They are going to score.

9) Our defense is not there yet.

It really was a great game. Would have liked to see a few more possessions on the offensive side of the ball but Brady was 21 for 24 in the 4th quarter. If he is sliding or aging you'd never know it. Still a great competitive fiery qb.

This one sucks to lose cause like most of our losses we could have won. On to the Broncos...now that will be a real test of our defense. Bring on the snow!!!

..the wr was completely mugged in the end of the end zone while the ball was in the air. However, there was an additional db who tipped the ball maybe 5 yards in front. Flag was thrown and then picked up. They brought in mike pereira to clarify and said it's not possible to have pass interference no matter what IF the ball is tipped prior, despite how much contact there is to the intended wr.

Once a defender touches the ball all interference rules are cancelled and receivers can be interfered with as much as the defense wants (though defense still can't hold).

This is why you'll see the ref make the "ball tipped" signal during a play when it happens. That's so that (a) the offensive players know that even ineligible receivers can now catch the ball and (b) to tell the other refs there was a tip so they don't waste time calling DPI.

my issue is that the pats game plan in the first half seemed to think the panthers were better than reality

they played careful in the first half and it hurt them....they opened things up in the 2nd half and showed that you can push the ball up and down the field on the panthers......the saints will look at this game film and destroy the panthers......twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back