PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs. Dolphins Post-game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people assuming the Jets make the playoffs with a win over Miami?

It's not the case.

Even IF the Jets beat Miami, they will not get in unless Houston beats Tennessee.

And Houston no longer has anything to play for. They are locked into the third seed. In fact, if Houston lays down to Tennessee, they get Tennessee instead of Jets a week later. All the more reason to lay down.

I hate that term, "lay down". I don't think any team ever wants to lay down against a division rival.

Now, will they rest starters with their eye on being as healthy as possible for the playoffs? Possibly.. But it didn't help the Colts a few years ago.

I would not be surprised to see a Houston win and the Jets in the playoffs.

Yet again, great halftime adjustments, especially on defense. Patricia drew up some great blitzes to make Moore look like the scrub he is. The game turned on the Wilfork turnover.

Brady had a great game in spite of being under duress constantly. Lucky not to not to have been intercepted twice, but for the most part excellent decisions as usual. Used all his receivers. Loved his fire and will to win when most of the team didn't look like they cared about this one too much. Love that he ran the ball--his knee must have been really bad last year.

What more can you say about Welker and Gronkowski? Nothing. In awe. Pay Welker NOW!

Mayo usually doesn't make the highlight reel, but again showed why he's worth every penny they payed. Solid game from start to finish. Defensive leader for years to come.

Ridley the most pleasant surprise of all--again. Haven't seen that kind of pure talent and elusiveness in a Pats RB since Curtis Martin. Could be a Gronk-type home run pick by BB. The future looks bright there...

One thing that has impressed me the most this season is our coaches ability to make adjustments on the fly and especially during halftime. I'm sure Patricia and O'Brien made adjustments in years past, but this year has been noticeable, especially when things are not looking great. It's great to see and is indicative of our coaches growth.

I'll add Fletcher as another player that looked good today and is looking like a real keeper. To think that this guy only started playing LB last year is amazing. His ability to read plays from a LB perspective compared to what he was asked to do as a DE in college shows what kind of work he's been putting in. This guy is a Bruschi in the making.

Can't wait for Spikes to come back. Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Ninkovich. That's a pretty good LB core.

Don't know why Belichick isn't receiving any love for Coach of the Year votes again this year...think about it lost starting center first game of the season, Bodden and Rowling two destined starters injuries didn't allow them to play with Bodden being released, Mayo got injured for a few games, Chung and Spikes two key defensive players havent played much, Vollmer a key Oline has been out alot, I don't know probably because expectations where really high this year for the Patriots that the defense has probably denied Belichick som COTY votes. Today was a great win showing that this team has the intangibles to go all the way...hopefully they get healthy enough come playoffs.

What Andy said. The Jets need to win and have the Bengals, Titans and either the Broncos or Raiders lose. That's a lot of help they are looking for not to mention this Dolphin team is better than that Jets team.

They wouldnt beat Houston, and they aren't going to make the playoffs anyway.

my bad, good call! LOL AT JESTS!!!

Don't know why Belichick isn't receiving any love for Coach of the Year votes again this year...think about it lost starting center first game of the season, Bodden and Rowling two destined starters injuries didn't allow them to play with Bodden being released, Mayo got injured for a few games, Chung and Spikes two key defensive players havent played much, Vollmer a key Oline has been out alot, I don't know probably because expectations where really high this year for the Patriots that the defense has probably denied Belichick som COTY votes. Today was a great win showing that this team has the intangibles to go all the way...hopefully they get healthy enough come playoffs.

I cant for the life of me remember who said it, but someone said it'll be one of the greatest coaching jobs ever to make a deep run with this defense. (paraphrased)

I love how almost every year we keep hearing "great coaching job" and BB often together! :D

The NFLN folks have been going "Te-ee-bow, Tee-bow" for weeks now.

Today: "Bray-ay-dee, Bray-dee." :rocker:

[Last week, they were also doing the Tebow chant on the 28-yard sack: "Tee-ee-bow, Oh no!" :D ]

What most concerns me about this game and last week's too is the slooooow start. Not showing up for the first quarter/half of the game. They won't be able to do that with playoff competition and they seem to be getting into a bit of a habit.

I am happy to see how they respond to adversity though.

This was a tale of 2 halves.

The O-line was visibly in disarray from the get go, with Light not suiting up do to an ankle injury suffered before the game. Then Mankins going down made the situation worse. It was clear that Miami feasted on the uncertainty that the O-line presented Brady..

I don't know what was said and when it was said, but it was clear by the start of the 2nd half that the O-line of Solder, Thomas, Connolly, Waters, and Cannon had gotten their act together because Brady was relatively untouched for the 2nd half. And that allowed this team to come storming back thanks to the defense capitalizing on Miami screw-ups.. First the mis-handled snap by Moore that Wilfork fell on and then the bad pass by Moore that McCourty picked off.

I have to give the TEAM a ton of credit for it's MENTAL TOUGHNESS. Even when they are down, they KNOW that they can beat the other team and have been doing so. And, this has been missing the past few years. Unlike some teams that just give up and go through the motions, this team has been making things happen, both offensively and defensively.
Amen......i only got to see part of the game, unfortunetly most of the second quarter. I watched the beginning of the second half long enough to see that the team had made adjustments. Then i had to go back to bed so i could be at work to write this.

What most concerns me about this game and last week's too is the slooooow start. Not showing up for the first quarter/half of the game. They won't be able to do that with playoff competition and they seem to be getting into a bit of a habit.

I am happy to see how they respond to adversity though.

I agree that the slow starts are a bit concerning, but the team was adjusting on the fly to a makeshift o-line and the Miami blitz packages were too much to handle early on for the guys up front.

Last week the run defense was playing so poorly early on... giving up a quick ten points to Denver... that I seriously thought the record for most rushing yards given up was going to be smashed by the third quarter.

Not disagreeing with your post... just putting the early-game sluggishness the last few weeks into perspective. If something similar to the above scenarios unfolds in the postseason, the outcome may not be so favorable against better competition than Denver or Miami, so hopefully the team will come out with crisp execution on the offensive side.

I hate that term, "lay down". I don't think any team ever wants to lay down against a division rival.

Now, will they rest starters with their eye on being as healthy as possible for the playoffs? Possibly.. But it didn't help the Colts a few years ago.

The Colts did it a few years back so the Titans could make it into the play-offs..

Cassel v. Dolphins

I told you Moore didn't suck. We were not unhappy when he left our division. He's better than Ryan.

You don't mean Matt Ryan right? No way is Moore better than Matt Ryan. The kid has showed some stuff this year that is for sure and made the most of his opps.....Not sure whether he will remain the starter in MIA or they will go after someone like RG3 in the draft......Merry Xmas/happy holidays Pherein

The important thing is to weather the storm when we start out slow. Less 3 and outs and better play in the red zone. The red zone defense has been great most of the season, on Sunday it wasn't as good... those 17 points will need to be 13 points against the better teams. We're going to give up yards but if we don't hang the defense out to dry as much while finding our rhythm we'll be okay. Mesko and the punt coverage will need to continue bailing us out but we're going to need plays from Edelman/whoever the KR is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST