PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Buc's Pre-Season Game Thread

For those who were wondering how different the offense was this week in regards to Tebow's package (cue the Bevis and Butthead chuckles):

Per Nick Underhill: Tim Tebow on finishing with negative passing yards against Tampa Bay: 'You just have to keep going' | masslive.com

"Tebow ran an offense that appeared to be different from the one he led last week against the Philadelphia Eagles, where he ran some read-option plays and lined up in the pistol a few times. This week, his version of the offense was similar to the one led by Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett with a few designed runs thrown in."

This may explain why he did even worse. It seemed to be more along the lines of a "regular" offensive scheme that most other QB's see.

I just posted that exact take in the Tebow thread...they ran their standard Brady/pro set offense. Tebow cannot function adequately in that set and they know it.

For those who were wondering how different the offense was this week in regards to Tebow's package (cue the Bevis and Butthead chuckles):

Per Nick Underhill: Tim Tebow on finishing with negative passing yards against Tampa Bay: 'You just have to keep going' | masslive.com

"Tebow ran an offense that appeared to be different from the one he led last week against the Philadelphia Eagles, where he ran some read-option plays and lined up in the pistol a few times. This week, his version of the offense was similar to the one led by Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett with a few designed runs thrown in."

This may explain why he did even worse. It seemed to be more along the lines of a "regular" offensive scheme that most other QB's see.

I just posted that exact take in the Tebow thread...they ran their standard Brady/pro set offense. Tebow cannot function adequately in that set and they know it.

Sorry Joker, didn't see it over there.

Re: Re: The Official Patriots vs Buc's Pre-Season Game Thread

Rule #4 of being a Patriots fan: never pass up an opportunity to blame the JEST.

Never. :mad:

Yeah I made that mistake once.. but in my favor it was really the Jets fault I did so. :D

That seems to be the query of "fit" for Tebow. If the Patriots run their "normal" set Tebow is going to struggle (as he did). If the Patriots run a "Tebow" set then I'm sure he'll play as we're all accustomed to. What it comes down to is is it worth keeping Tebow around if the Patriots run into problems with their "normal" set?

I don't want any Quarterback other than Tom Brady starting for the Patriots thus my general amusement at the Tebow experiment.

Ok. I finally have a chance to watch the replay on NFLN. Mallet just came in. I haven't read this thread yet because I didn't want to ruin the ending. I have to say, this team, once again looks unstoppable. Jones is a monster, tho, a little "smaller" than advertised. Ninko, :D. TB, as usually, brilliant. Amendola, Ridley, Suds..etc. even Mallet at this point. Anyone else watching?

...Also, I see a lot of #11. Nice to see the reason I agree that Edledude should make roster. He has his unique spot. Has to be hard to plan against. He's a leatherman tool.

...Also, I see a lot of #11. Nice to see the reason I agree that Edledude should make roster. He has his unique spot. Has to be hard to plan against. He's a leatherman tool.

While I agree with everything that you said re:Edelman and I agree that he probably makes the team, we only kept 4 WRs last year, so keeping 6 this year may be a difficult thing to do (but necessary).

I defended him all last summer, but I haven't been able to do that as much this summer for obvious reasons. I didn't notice him stick out as much as you did last night.

Edelman makes the team...how long he stays injury free I put at 4-6 games....I do nOT trust his physical make-up to take a full season of hits...can't do it.

While I agree with everything that you said re:Edelman and I agree that he probably makes the team, we only kept 4 WRs last year, so keeping 6 this year may be a difficult thing to do (but necessary).

I defended him all last summer, but I haven't been able to do that as much this summer for obvious reasons. I didn't notice him stick out as much as you did last night.

It's just weird with him. He's like a ghost, low profile. We hear this every year, how he is taking a spot. But with this lineup, I think he fits in well. Like Tebow, I agree, don't take a spot from somebody who "could" be better. I've always thought Edelman was a good fit here. Either way, I'm finally getting over that Wes guy. BTW, I'm loving this game:singing:

It's just weird with him. He's like a ghost, low profile. We hear this every year, how he is taking a spot. But with this lineup, I think he fits in well. Like Tebow, I agree, don't take a spot from somebody who "could" be better. I've always thought Edelman was a good fit here. Either way, I'm finally getting over that Wes guy. BTW, I'm loving this game:singing:

Yeah, seeing Amendola do his thing by splitting the defense down the seam with speed on the TD catch will do wonders when attempting to forget about a certain past player.

On top of that, he showed nice range by hauling in that first grab over his head near the sidelines, and made 4 catches on just the opening drive alone.

Edelman makes the team...how long he stays injury free I put at 4-6 games....I do nOT trust his physical make-up to take a full season of hits...can't do it.

Absolutely. I worry about injuries with Everyone. When Suds hit the ground in the EZ, I cringed. One reason I worry during preseason. I've been knocked over the head with the injuries lately.

So then it may be a stretch to think that Tebow still has any kind of shot to make the team still, seeing as how it's hard to get the numbers to work out.

6 WR
8 OL
4 TE
5 RB
2 QB

Total of 25

The only possible spot he could realistically take it from would be the position of RB, where we could in theory swap out the 5th RB for a 3rd QB.

All of the other offensive positions need to have the exact number, particularly WR (if we assume Edelman makes it), and TE (Gronk, Ballard, Fells, Sudfeld). We cannot possibly make any cuts at those 2 positions then, nor can we at the position of OL--where 8 is the absolute minimum.

It all comes down to the battle for the 5th RB vs the 3rd QB, at least if we realistically want 25 on offense. It'll be tough enough getting it down to 25 on defense, so we can't take the position away there either.

One thing to consider is that we may not necessarily need that 5th RB if Tebow is going to stay, as he could offer services as a RB in certain situations or on an emergency basis.

The other thing, I think saves Edelman, is his ability to play many positions, including defense. .....Oh no, another missed FG. I hope they are because of different snappers and holders. :confused:

welp...it's Tebow time again...and ...uh....I'll be right back...gotta pull out my eye teeth...

welp...it's Tebow time again...and ...uh....I'll be right back...gotta pull out my eye teeth...

Yes. Something a little less painful. :bricks:

Why dosent Tebow just retire? It is not like he has a future in football. He could make a lot more money speaking at churches all over the country. Christian nuts would pay a fortune to see him in person.

Isn't it kind of unfriendly to call people "Christian nuts"? I mean, if you don't have any specific personal faith, would you like someone calling people with your worldview: "agnostic nuts" or whatever the case might be? Let's keep the comments on football - most of us agree that Tebow doesn't have the skill set to be a starting NFL QB, so having him as a backup is a luxury that takes a roster spot on the 53 that is probably needed elsewhere - WR, TE, etc.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back