PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The New Look STs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
While the offense and defense are more important topics, I think the STs deserves a mention. This unit has gotten a major overhaul this year.

The top STs players by snap count in 2017 for the Patriots were.

Richards (gone)
J. Jones
Bademosi (gone)
Bolden (gone)
King
M. Flowers (gone)

Getting Ebner back is big for that unit. He lead the unit in snaps in 2016 so he will do a lot of fill the hole. As will 'knock on wood' a full year of Slater. But the fact is the Patriots have lost a lot of their STs snaps and they will need to be replaced.

To dig even deeper, one has to wonder about J. Jones role on STs. If he needs to start the year as the nickle CB because Dawson isn't up to speed then does it effect his STs snaps.?

I am not hitting the panic button on this unit at all. I think we have great players here. But a lot does need to be sorted out and it will be interesting to see if there are any hiccups early on.

In light of Bolden's departure, keeping Roberts instead of Marquis Flowers makes even less sense now than it did at the time, which was none anyway.

In light of Bolden's departure, keeping Roberts instead of Marquis Flowers makes even less sense now than it did at the time, which was none anyway.
Its one big puzzle. You know that. Grigsby plays ST and only played 79 ST snaps last year. He beat out M Flowers so the assumption is hell take those snaps. Roberts also can play ST. Ebner is back. Plus the have the kid CBs. Hansen also has ST experience. Burk will see more time.

With the new rules they might want faster, smaller players?

They'll fill out the snaps. I'm not concerned.

Are these five enough?

STO
King
Ebner
Slater
Grissom
Grisby

We’ve got Slater and Ebner who are top tier.

I think Boldens familiarity was helpful in real time decision making, we may see a brief lapse of judgement by the newer players from our couches but in all, I think we will be okay.

Roberts is a backup one down run-stopper. We would NOT have been better off with Flowers or Sam in that role.

Belichick kept 5 DE's. I guess that he expects at least one to be helpful on the EDGE: Flowers, Wise, Clayborne, Rivers, and Davis.

Also, both Hightower and Van Noy can play outside.

As you wished, we have a new inside ILB in Bentley, to play inside with either Hightower or Van Noy.

With King, Grisby and your fav Grissom, we don't need another front six Ster. Roberts can just be an inactive backup at the end of the bench.

While the offense and defense are more important topics, I think the STs deserves a mention. This unit has gotten a major overhaul this year.

The top STs players by snap count in 2017 for the Patriots were.

Richards (gone)
J. Jones
Bademosi (gone)
Bolden (gone)
King
M. Flowers (gone)

Getting Ebner back is big for that unit. He lead the unit in snaps in 2016 so he will do a lot of fill the hole. As will 'knock on wood' a full year of Slater. But the fact is the Patriots have lost a lot of their STs snaps and they will need to be replaced.

To dig even deeper, one has to wonder about J. Jones role on STs. If he needs to start the year as the nickle CB because Dawson isn't up to speed then does it effect his STs snaps.?

I am not hitting the panic button on this unit at all. I think we have great players here. But a lot does need to be sorted out and it will be interesting to see if there are any hiccups early on.
The Patriots traded for Bademosi and M. Flowers to replace Slater and
Ebner. Hopefully, these players are 100%.

I hate that they lost BB on ST but WTF do IK?

Its one big puzzle. You know that. Grigsby plays ST and only played 79 ST snaps last year. He beat out M Flowers so the assumption is hell take those snaps. Roberts also can play ST. Ebner is back. Plus the have the kid CBs. Hansen also has ST experience. Burk will see more time.

With the new rules they might want faster, smaller players?

They'll fill out the snaps. I'm not concerned.
I think Grissom beat out bolden for his st job.

Going to hold judgement to see who fills Bolden’s varying roles of gunner, frontline blocker, protector, rusher roles, etc. Don’t see any one guy doing the same set of roles, rather a mix.

Last edited:
The STs have been a strength in recent years. I don’t remember many long returns vs NE and those yards are important to limit.

Going to hold judgement to see who fills Bolden’s varying roles of gunner, frontline blocker, protector, rusher roles, etc. Don’t see any one guy doing the same set of roles, rather a mix.
Bolden wasn’t a gunner.

The Patriots traded for Bademosi and M. Flowers to replace Slater and
Ebner. Hopefully, these players are 100%.

Ebner was injured a month after the trade deadline.

Bolden wasn’t a gunner.
I realize your whole shtick is to argue everything and anything with anyone you can find, and find any minuscule detail that you can use as a platform. Maybe I should have clarified the exact percentages of each, and the varying degrees of full-time or fill-in roles. After all, this forum is obviously serious business.

Bolden wasn’t a primary gunner, but he has filled in for Slater/Jonathon Jones in the event of injuries more recently. The whole point is Bolden was a multidimensional special teamer who wore a lot of hats. Carry on with nitpicking though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft