PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Myth of the Easy AFC East: The Definitive Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to see Pittsburgh’s winning percentage against their own division as a comparison. Has their been a better team in the AFC other than NE and Pitt since 2000? Maybe Colts?

Steelers were .688 from 2002 - 2016. Colts were .744, Packers .705. Nobody else above .700. Full details in that link I posted above.

None of the slappies in the AFC East have gone better than 11-5 (and that's only happened like three times total) during this entire 18 year run. I think almost all 28 other teams have at least one 12-4 season in that time span.

Their division stinks, and it helps them get home playoff games and byes. It's okay.

I think it’s not necessarily that the division stinks it’s just that their teams seem to always be in flux, changing coaches, QBs and systems every other year or so. Makes it hard to compete and be consistent. The Patriots have always had BB and Brady for most of the time in that timeframe. That helps. Plus the Patriots have only lost to the Buffalo Bills 3 times this century which is mind blowing and it certainly skews the numbers our way.

I like to look at the Patriots record against good teams as a true barometer of how good they are. They didn’t earn a bye because they beat up on a weak division, they earned the bye because they were 4-0 against playoff teams, by far the best such record in the NFL. This argument in my opinion makes it moot to criticize the Patriots success in their division.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills would still suck if the Pats weren't there.

It's an easy division, just deal with it.

It's an easy league. The Patriots dominate. The rest of the teams stink. All you need to see is the record against the rest of the league. It's the same as it is against the AFC East. Your team stinks too.

Outside of maybe Pennington and Tannehill (both frequently injured), the other East teams really haven't found or had a long-term guy at QB for the past two decades. Am I forgetting someone? It seems like it would be hard to be good outside of some lucky seasons.

Bingo, that's exactly what I was thinking. The way rules are it's a quarterback's league and the Pats haven't had any serious threats from contending QBs.

The AFCE is crap hawt take is crap. Here's an analysis I did a year ago, so it doesn't reflect this year's stats:

Division Comps since 2002 (division realignment)

Winning percentages by division against teams outside the division:
  • AFC East: 0.545
  • NFC East: 0.523
  • NFC South: 0.519
  • AFC North: 0.505
  • AFC West: 0.498
  • NFC North: 0.488
  • AFC South: 0.480
  • NFC West: 0.447

Very interesting stats, very useful, but I believe the debate here is NOT 'the AFCE stinks' but instead 'the other teams in the AFCE stink'

Bingo, that's exactly what I was thinking. The way rules are it's a quarterback's league and the Pats haven't had any serious threats from contending QBs.

Fitzpatrick has his moments in the AFC East too...

Instead of taking away the record of the best team for each season, they should look at each team's record from 2002-present and take away the record from the most successful team for the entire period.

By taking away the best record from each season, it's flawed in that in the AFCE it's always removing the Pats' record while in other divisions the team changes (sometimes frequently).

Oh, and let me be clear, even though I'm suggesting our AFCE competition has sucked, by NO means am I suggesting that is the reason for our dominance.

The Pats would be successful in any division, it just makes it easier that our division rivals have been incompetent.

(edit: cleaned up some typos)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sb1
Very interesting stats, very useful, but I believe the debate here is NOT 'the AFCE stinks' but instead 'the other teams in the AFCE stink'

I remember running those numbers, taking the best team out of each division and the AFCE came in as the 3rd best division. The NFCE and the NFCS were the two best.

EDIT - Even so, the fact that the Pats have a relatively low percentage of their total wins coming from their own division compared to others defeats the argument that the Pats feast on their own division moreso than other strong teams. In fact, they seem to benefit the least among top teams.

Worst division in NFL history, the 2010 NFC West

Seahawks were the Division Champs at 7-9, with 4 of those wins coming against the putrid rest of the division.

So yes, that means they went 3-7 outside the division.

The AFC East teams have access to Lobstah

Other divisions with similar situations (1 long term QB and the others not) over a similar 20 year time frame
- AFC South - Peyton
- AFC West - Rivers
- NFC North - Rodgers
- NFC West - Wilson sort of.

Obviously there some good 1-3 year QBs in those divisions now that will change the story going forward.

The division does suck hard lately, but if you look back (starting in 2001) and research the years where the AFCE has fielded two playoff teams for the AFC, you would actually be surprised.
1998: 4 playoff teams from AFCE

...and in last place was the Dolts

That's why ya boil it first, then bring out the buttah and the keg of bea-yah.

I'll never forget when my (now) ex-wife decided to buy lobsters( back when I still lived in Boston).
I hear a bloodcurdling sceam coming from the kitchen, I run in and see 2 huge lobsters running around the floor. She's standing on a chair. I just laughed my ass off. She had taken the wooden pins out and they started snapping.
Maybe if I'd reacted differently, I'd still be married.

I'll never forget when my (now) ex-wife decided to buy lobsters( back when I still lived in Boston).
I hear a bloodcurdling sceam coming from the kitchen, I run in and see 2 huge lobsters running around the floor. She's standing on a chair. I just laughed my ass off. She had taken the wooden pins out and they started snapping.
Maybe if I'd reacted differently, I'd still be married.
Thank God you reacted the way you did :cool:

I think a fullgrown lobster would kick a cats ass. No offense, Sammy.
Completely disagree. Cat would slaughter it.

(Miammy lobster with cream...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back